Wigan vs Saints match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mickw

Re: Wigan vs Saints match thread

Post by Mickw »

Lenegan cuts corner after corner but expects people to still buy tickets, we'll the times coming where I'd rather do summat else than watch a mediocre squad turn in the kind of rugby I can see at pats on an afternoon.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:04 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:53 pm I'm pissed but some comments are a joke. We started the season strong. Peet and the coaching staff where fine at Easter......
He was fine when we were winning but now things aren’t going to plan he doesn’t know how to fix it. Being fine at Easter but now the subject of criticism are not the mutually exclusive positions you seem to think they are.

He’s out of his depth.
Exactly.
It is good when you’re winning and with not many complaints. But to be a top coach you have to have other game plans and you have to know how to pick the lads up, confidence is gonna be at a big low now.
I can’t see how he gets us out of it….
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:53 pm I'm pissed but some comments are a joke. We started the season strong. Peet and the coaching staff where fine at Easter......

However something needs fixing, we are at the point that we should have our fixed halves (bar injury) not chopping and changing. There is a mentality issue though, wigan last year would rally when behind but this year we don't and I do believe this is with Farrell as captain. Its a sad state to be in but we missed TL in the middle today.
To me the issues have been here all season long cracks have been papered over by wins here and there the loss of briers is huge and I agree with you regards to Farrell and the contrast he’s a fantastic player but captain? I’m far from sure on that.
Bob the Builder

Post by Bob the Builder »

Dire will dick us next week.
Bob the Builder

Weren't Wigan league leaders about 4/5 weeks ago with a points difference of approx plus 250? Wtf has happened?
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

We were never realistically going to beat Saints tonight. How does that team beat Saints at their best? Maybe the underperforming Saints of a few months ago but as soon as we face a pack with real power we're in trouble again.

Hill gave a good account of himself but he's not at this level yet. He still looked better than both Mago and Singleton though. Mago should have been shipped off to Wakefield but we inexplicably kept him because Bateman left (which isn't really relevant) and Singleton isn't deemed good enough for a contract next year. It goes back to something I mentioned on a thread about recruitment. Why do we keep these players that aren't good enough until their contract expires even when there are clubs interested? We just hold on to average players until their deal finishes and then use lack of cap space as the excuse for not being able to sign better players.

So tonight, of course Singleton, Mago and Byrne played exactly how Singleton, Mago and Byrne would be expected to play. We got what was expected. We won't get any different until our only real top quality prop returns from injury (Havard).

With a fully fit pack we can beat teams if things go our way. If our average players happen to be having purple patch. Saints and Catalans can outmuscle us and batter us down the middle without breaking sweat.

I thought there was plenty of effort in that game but just no signs of being able to do anything other than try to hand in there and hope Field or French do something. French played reasonably well but had the same problem he showed when he briefly played half off the bench under Lam, which is he's obsessed with kicking the ball. Having said that, defensively he was excellent. It's probably worth persevering with but he clearly needs a lot of direction. He's definitely not an ideal half at the moment but who else do we play there since Cust, Field and Hampshire don't seem to fit the bill.

We've got 4 hookers in the team and of the 3 that have actually been given a chance none are playing well enough to hold down a place right now. It's really rubbing it in when we come up against James Roby and he's having a field day despite being in his late 30's.

Matt Peet will probably start to get a bit of criticism for recent results but how on earth are we supposed to do better with what we've got right now?
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Post by Wintergreen » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:53 pm

I really really hope I am wrong, but I am not convinced a 37 year old, untested head coach is what Wigan need at the moment.

I know SW will have some "influence" (the BBC have him in charge...), but I'm not sure.

FWIW I quite liked SW as head coach, but clearly there was a reason why he left in the first place.

We needed an experienced coach with no previous links to Wigan imo.

As I said above, I hope I am wrong.

I still hope I am wrong :|
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:52 pm Post by Wintergreen » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:53 pm

I really really hope I am wrong, but I am not convinced a 37 year old, untested head coach is what Wigan need at the moment.

I know SW will have some "influence" (the BBC have him in charge...), but I'm not sure.

FWIW I quite liked SW as head coach, but clearly there was a reason why he left in the first place.

We need a full coaching staff with no links to the club and also a coach who isn't matey with the players
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

I’m pretty sure Saints fans were loosing their heads like everyone here on Good Friday. We’ll turn it around. Lads need to start pulling their finger out. A win will come soon and hopefully that will grow confidence
Bob the Builder

medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:55 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:52 pm Post by Wintergreen » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:53 pm

We need a full coaching staff with no links to the club and also a coach who isn't matey with the players
It's a boys club and has been for years. Jobs for the boys, totally unacceptable and will win you sweet fa.