What’s caused the slump?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: What’s caused the slump?

Post by Wintergreen »

It's not a slump, it's a reality check.

What are the issues? :

1. Coach was promoted too soon - would have been better for his career to go to Aus and learn the ropes.

2. Awful recruitment policy. Disjointed. We have 2 fullbacks who would walk into any SL team, creating a problem of balance, and at the same time a powder puff pack.

3. No stand off (see above).

4. No plan B when plan A fails (see 1)
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Never thought I would say this don't like knocking teams but this as now got worrying.
I have always been of the opinion as Wigan born and past players would have the wigan way ethos and pass that on to current players. There's something seriously wrong in our coaching and recruitment set up. Never thought of it jobs for the boys but as they know the wigan way who better to pass this on. Have to admit I'm wrong.
The present regime is not working in any way from recruitment to coaching. Its become a joke (although not funny) that players are moved into different positions week by week. What's baffling is there any teams pivotal positions most potent player moved from his most lethal position to one he has never played. Does this make any coaching sense. Don't blame it on pack because we are bad all over park. Big names big money just not interested anymore there's got to be reasons behind this. Fans can see what the regime can't or is it they just don't want to admit players are not good enough.
It's now time for IL and KR do what they need to do throw sentiment through window and recruit. The players they obviously know we need. Or move over and let someone who can and wants to .
😒😒
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Well put KID
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:26 am Never thought I would say this don't like knocking teams but this as now got worrying.
I have always been of the opinion as Wigan born and past players would have the wigan way ethos and pass that on to current players. There's something seriously wrong in our coaching and recruitment set up. Never thought of it jobs for the boys but as they know the wigan way who better to pass this on. Have to admit I'm wrong.
The present regime is not working in any way from recruitment to coaching. Its become a joke (although not funny) that players are moved into different positions week by week. What's baffling is there any teams pivotal positions most potent player moved from his most lethal position to one he has never played. Does this make any coaching sense. Don't blame it on pack because we are bad all over park. Big names big money just not interested anymore there's got to be reasons behind this. Fans can see what the regime can't or is it they just don't want to admit players are not good enough.
It's now time for IL and KR do what they need to do throw sentiment through window and recruit. The players they obviously know we need. Or move over and let someone who can and wants to .
😒😒
Spot on.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Think back to say one and the KR game it was like watching a Lam era game,cluelsss in attack and defence that looked fragile,so for me while of course the loss of,player a has been felt the issues have been there since day one,neither king nor Wardle have been outstanding,steady and in kings case after a ropey start got better each game,but they’ve not been the complete answer we hoped they would be..yet at least.

The loss of Breirs simply can not be underestimated I don’t care what Tommy did with the New Zealand side over the winter,he simply isn’t ready to step up to the first team at least Lockers has done the hard work with the academy,signing player who weren’t good enough first time round has bordered on the bizarre given both players have poor,records and let’s be fair not stellar on the injury front yet Wigan welcome them back..it’s bordering on buffoonery it really is.

Last night Scunthorpe again hit the nail on the head,Wigan simply aren’t good enough it’s not nice to hear but at least someone has spotted the whiff of emperor's new clothes about this current Wigan squad it’s painful to listen to but truthful nonetheless
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

It's like reading when Wane was in charge
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

It goes back to one appointment as far as I am concerned. That of Radlinski.

He is the root cause of all of this along with IL giving him the responsibilities he has.

It’s Radlinski who is running the club as CEO and is the one making decisions on signings, retention, pay including those of the coaching staff.

I don’t think he has the knowledge to do the job. The reason we end up appointing the likes of Lockers, TL and Peet as coaches is in my opinion because Radlinski doesn’t have a clue how to go and recruit a decent coach from outside the club particularly when it comes to any coach from Australia. I don’t believe for one minute it is because of some misguided notion of a “Wigan Culture” though he may convince himself there is such a thing to justify his recruitment. Overall it’s just a lazy approach.

Even some of the signings that look Ok such as Cooper and King are more down to luck than judgement. Cooper’s didn’t fit in with Powell’s plans at Wire so he became available and King is only out on loan for salary cap reasons. The only recent signing he seems to have proactively chased is Wardle.

Another aspect of that laziness is when it comes to a players contract being up is it often seems they are renewed without any consideration given to whether or not there is a better player available. There appears no desire to constantly strive to improve the side. Instead we seem to keep players past their sell by dates and regardless of how good they are. There are very few players like Roby at Saints who can play on effectively beyond their expected retirement dates but Wigan think nothing of dishing out contracts to player’s of similar vintage who are just past it. A well run club would see them replaced before they were on their last legs.

Even the quota is mismanaged with players in it who won’t get a game if the first 17 are fit and that left us unable to replace Bateman with an overseas player given no U.K. based ones were available.

The whole Bateman saga also sums up his ineptitude. That press release he put out when he left was an embarrassment. It was a long list of excuses. One minute he wasn’t leaving and the matter was closed. The next the club are discussing it with him before the World Cup despite the matter being closed. Then they aren’t because it’s the World Cup. Then they are after the world cup and then he’s gone. Joke.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:49 am
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:26 am Never thought I would say this don't like knocking teams but this as now got worrying.
😒😒
Spot on.
"the wigan way" has become outdated tired and a joke,it doesn't belong in the top four and has been superceded by other clubs,the we realise that the better,unfortunately jobs for the boys has created this cushy bubble where they can't see it.
Euclid

Post by Euclid »

Surely the recruitment of a prop forward unable to run or do anything else professional rugby players are supposed to be able to do was a massive hint that something was awry at the club.
Whoever “organised” that embarrassment should have been sacked instantly.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:36 pm It goes back to one appointment as far as I am concerned. That of Radlinski.

He is the root cause of all of this along with IL giving him the responsibilities he has.

It’s Radlinski who is running the club as CEO and is the one making decisions on signings, retention, pay including those of the coaching staff.

I don’t think he has the knowledge to do the job. The reason we end up appointing the likes of Lockers, TL and Peet as coaches is in my opinion because Radlinski doesn’t have a clue how to go and recruit a decent coach from outside the club particularly when it comes to any coach from Australia. I don’t believe for one minute it is because of some misguided notion of a “Wigan Culture” though he may convince himself there is such a thing to justify his recruitment. Overall it’s just a lazy approach.

Even some of the signings that look Ok such as Cooper and King are more down to luck than judgement. Cooper’s didn’t fit in with Powell’s plans at Wire so he became available and King is only out on loan for salary cap reasons. The only recent signing he seems to have proactively chased is Wardle.

Another aspect of that laziness is when it comes to a players contract being up is it often seems they are renewed without any consideration given to whether or not there is a better player available. There appears no desire to constantly strive to improve the side. Instead we seem to keep players past their sell by dates and regardless of how good they are. There are very few players like Roby at Saints who can play on effectively beyond their expected retirement dates but Wigan think nothing of dishing out contracts to player’s of similar vintage who are just past it. A well run club would see them replaced before they were on their last legs.

Even the quota is mismanaged with players in it who won’t get a game if the first 17 are fit and that left us unable to replace Bateman with an overseas player given no U.K. based ones were available.

The whole Bateman saga also sums up his ineptitude. That press release he put out when he left was an embarrassment. It was a long list of excuses. One minute he wasn’t leaving and the matter was closed. The next the club are discussing it with him before the World Cup despite the matter being closed. Then they aren’t because it’s the World Cup. Then they are after the world cup and then he’s gone. Joke.
I really wish I could agree with your points but then you then makes points along the lines of

Anything good is luck and nothing to do with KR or IL
Anything bad is automatically KR and IL.

It's a false narrative made to fit your view.

I am not defending our current predicament but your post are misleading because your spend the time to put in antidanecdotal evidence that seems correct unless you actually go look it up.

Atleast we can't have the Powell is undroppable one anymore.

Can you factually say you actually know KR is micromanaging to running the club to the level you state? CEOs outside of very small business's are rarely as hands on with every level as you suggest and in some cases like recruitment are just the final sign off.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.