Harry Smith

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bobby-WRL

Re: Harry Smith

Post by Bobby-WRL »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:17 pm
the pieman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:05 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:00 pm I suppose the other question in how do we expect him to develop when he has been around the same set of coaches since youth?

As we stated before there are no fresh outlooks or approaches coming into wigan as they recycle through an existing coach/player set up. George Williams only really looked like his game moved on when he left Wigan

That's not factually stating Wigan cant develop him, but what is anyone going to tell him/show him they haven't already
thats a fair point, and not one anyone else has made thus far in terms of his development, with the same coaching setup

i dont buy into the often Jobs for the Boys analagy used on here, as many major corporations will promote from within.
Poor analogy. Giving a player a first team coaching role as soon as he hangs up his boots is not a promotion. It’s giving them a totally different job.

TL and Lockers went from players to assistant first team coaches. They weren’t “promoted” as in they were not doing some junior coaching roles for a few years after stopping playing and were then given a first team assistants role because they showed aptitude for being a coach. They went straight into a first team coaching role. Jobs for the boys it is.
Sam Tomkins said in an interview that Tommy L has the best rugby brain out of anyone he has played with and backed him to be an outstanding coach.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:49 pm Watching Harry's body language and expressions, I'd say he's an introvert. If so, he could be internalising his mistakes and this may have a big effect on his play, resulting in things like kicking out on the full.

I've said before, he's not like Andy Greg or Luke Gale who strutted around and dominated team-mates.

If I'm right, the question is, does this mean he's a failure, or just that he needs handling differently by the coaches? Taking goal-kicking responsibility off him for instance might be away of realeasing some of the pressure he puts himself under. Having a half-back partner to shoulder some responsibility could be another, or getting a mentor who understands the way he thinks and can talk him through some of his concerns.

The lad has ability, a fantastic kicking game - long, high and short - and a good rugby brain. He's gone through the mill under Lam and with all the injuries and changes we've been through. I think we should cut him some slack. Good halves are hard to come by.
Going to be an unpopular opinion but I genuinely don’t think he does.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’m not sure if he’s up to it either.
I’d be definitively be on a lookout for a half if one came available
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Each to their own I guess - for me he does he just needs another good half alongside him to share the burden.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:26 pm

thats a fair point, and not one anyone else has made thus far in terms of his development, with the same coaching setup

i dont buy into the often Jobs for the Boys analagy used on here, as many major corporations will promote from within.
Poor analogy. Giving a player a first team coaching role as soon as he hangs up his boots is not a promotion. It’s giving them a totally different job.

TL and Lockers went from players to assistant first team coaches. They weren’t “promoted” as in they were not doing some junior coaching roles for a few years after stopping playing and were then given a first team assistants role because they showed aptitude for being a coach. They went straight into a first team coaching role. Jobs for the boys it is.
Sam Tomkins said in an interview that Tommy L has the best rugby brain out of anyone he has played with and backed him to be an outstanding coach.
What would he know compared to the experts on here though?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:00 pm I suppose the other question in how do we expect him to develop when he has been around the same set of coaches since youth?

As we stated before there are no fresh outlooks or approaches coming into wigan as they recycle through an existing coach/player set up. George Williams only really looked like his game moved on when he left Wigan

That's not factually stating Wigan cant develop him, but what is anyone going to tell him/show him they haven't already

Lots of factory workers progress from working as part of a team on the shop floor to then becoming a team manager.

Same in sales.

Same in marketing.

Same in NHS.

Same in Forces.

Same in police.

Strange that?

Personally think the analogy is fine.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Completely disagree, its a poor analagy in your eyes cos it doesnt fit the narrative, and also cut off the remainder of my comment which was a genuine question about coaching skills / development etc

Many people will move from one role into another, could be promotion, may not be

i did it myself as i have many interchangeable skills and the hiring manager saw that in me. I went from a people management role in logistics into a consultancy role implementing IT systems. Completely different, but certainly a promotion, so as above completely disagree with you

SoL i am pretty certain was coaching the academy and TL was also assistant with NZ, so again, your narrative doesnt fit
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wes wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:02 am

Lots of factory workers progress from working as part of a team on the shop floor to then becoming a team manager.

Same in sales.

Same in marketing.

Same in NHS.

Same in Forces.

Same in police.

Strange that?

Personally think the analogy is fine.
hadnt got this far Wes, when i have replied to DaveO. Basically you've covered off some of my response too :).
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:28 am

Completely disagree, its a poor analagy in your eyes cos it doesnt fit the narrative, and also cut off the remainder of my comment which was a genuine question about coaching skills / development etc

Many people will move from one role into another, could be promotion, may not be

i did it myself as i have many interchangeable skills and the hiring manager saw that in me. I went from a people management role in logistics into a consultancy role implementing IT systems. Completely different, but certainly a promotion, so as above completely disagree with you

SoL i am pretty certain was coaching the academy and TL was also assistant with NZ, so again, your narrative doesnt fit
Is that all it takes to become an assistant at Wigan? A few years coaching an academy or a stint with NZ?

I could understand if we had a young coach with experienced assistants or visa versa but we only have young and inexperienced. It isn't black and white but where else do you see such inexperience / varied experience leading to success?

BTW Cunningham was assistant for a couple of years at St Helens and then promoted to first team, look how that turned out.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Flash

Post by Flash »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:04 am
the pieman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:28 am

Is that all it takes to become an assistant at Wigan? A few years coaching an academy or a stint with NZ?

I could understand if we had a young coach with experienced assistants or visa versa but we only have young and inexperienced. It isn't black and white but where else do you see such inexperience / varied experience leading to success?

BTW Cunningham was assistant for a couple of years at St Helens and then promoted to first team, look how that turned out.
As was multi trophy winning Shaun Wane. As indeed was Craig Bellamy. You can't just cherry pick an example to fit your narrative.