Amor Spot On

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mickw

Re: Amor Spot On

Post by Mickw »

It's been to small for at least 3 seasons and next to nothings been done to address the problem. I have no faith whatsoever next season will be any different.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Lilliput Warriors, it has a ring to it :)
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think he's got the gist but I'd say the issue is power and effectiveness rather than just size. Patrick Mago is pretty much the same size as Agnatius Paasi, if not slightly bigger, but it's no contest in terms of who is more effective. Tyler Dupree and Brad Singleton are a similar size but there's no doubting who is the more dangerous player.

Byrne has a bit of size but seems fairly easy for defenders to handle. Maybe it's something to do with how he goes into contact. Mago has size but he's so slow onto the ball that even if he makes a good 7 or 8 metres he just gets held upright in a controlled way and the defenders have enough time to peel off the tackle and get back into the defensive line. When he used to offload at least that was a threat when there were numbers in the tackle, but without the explosiveness in carries Mago has size but limited impact.

Singleton isn't small for a prop, he's just been massively ineffective. A couple of years ago he would have a really good game every 8 or 9 matches and you'd wonder why he couldn't produce that more often. He's got a habit of making arcing runs towards the half and outside backs which is fine every so often if you can cause them problems, but he seems to either get brought down with ease or a prop cuts him off before he gets there and flattens him. Even if he just rans those lines diagonally he'd at least keep a bit more forward momentum.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

At least peet has identified it’s a big issue. Clearing the dead wood out that kris+lam signed. Singleton 2 runs for 11 meters on Friday should mean he never wears that badge again. Walters in and bid for Dupree means we’re looking to bring in 2-3 props. He’s only as good as the squad he’s given
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:59 pm I think he's got the gist but I'd say the issue is power and effectiveness rather than just size. Patrick Mago is pretty much the same size as Agnatius Paasi, if not slightly bigger, but it's no contest in terms of who is more effective. Tyler Dupree and Brad Singleton are a similar size but there's no doubting who is the more dangerous player.

Byrne has a bit of size but seems fairly easy for defenders to handle. Maybe it's something to do with how he goes into contact. Mago has size but he's so slow onto the ball that even if he makes a good 7 or 8 metres he just gets held upright in a controlled way and the defenders have enough time to peel off the tackle and get back into the defensive line. When he used to offload at least that was a threat when there were numbers in the tackle, but without the explosiveness in carries Mago has size but limited impact.

Singleton isn't small for a prop, he's just been massively ineffective. A couple of years ago he would have a really good game every 8 or 9 matches and you'd wonder why he couldn't produce that more often. He's got a habit of making arcing runs towards the half and outside backs which is fine every so often if you can cause them problems, but he seems to either get brought down with ease or a prop cuts him off before he gets there and flattens him. Even if he just rans those lines diagonally he'd at least keep a bit more forward momentum.
Some forwards just aren’t good enough such as Byrne, Singo and Mago.
Harvard is gonna be alright but there’s still question mark over Ellis, also will Cooper go round again?
Going from above were gonna need at least 3 new props, probably 4, for next season
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mickw wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:07 pm It's been to small for at least 3 seasons and next to nothings been done to address the problem. I have no faith whatsoever next season will be any different.
This just isn't true is it though, we just haven't had any luck with who we have brought in.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:14 pm
Mickw wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:07 pm It's been to small for at least 3 seasons and next to nothings been done to address the problem. I have no faith whatsoever next season will be any different.
This just isn't true is it though, we just haven't had any luck with who we have brought in.
You've got a point but who's to blame?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:30 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:14 pm
You've got a point but who's to blame?
Depends on how you look at it

Cooper very unlucky with the hip drop, and out for the season, and no doubt he is our seasoned prop
Singleton has been hit and miss, but again was brought in for experience to guide the younger props
Mago, there are slightly differing opinions on him but as an impact prop, he's not really having an impact (see comment re Paasi)
Ellis is growing on most of us i think. I'd be happy to keep him on for at least another season with the potential of another 2 year contract if performances are good enough

We all know we had issues with Burgess and keeping Clubb on too long, so for me those issues lie with the club.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:59 pm I think he's got the gist but I'd say the issue is power and effectiveness rather than just size. Patrick Mago is pretty much the same size as Agnatius Paasi, if not slightly bigger, but it's no contest in terms of who is more effective. Tyler Dupree and Brad Singleton are a similar size but there's no doubting who is the more dangerous player.

Bang on there with all those points, most of our props aren’t small, just not very effective.