Amor Spot On

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Big Steve

Re: Amor Spot On

Post by Big Steve »

Agree with the points above about size vs effectiveness.

Saints forwards are attacking the ball from 10 metres back we have a couple of yards at best and after the first 5 mins mostly a standing start.

It should be one of the basics for a forward. If saints players are fit enough to do that why aren't ours?

Very occasionally do we see the same aggression and attitude and usually in very small bursts.

We definitely need more size and a more aggressive style of prop to balance Havard and Ellis who can consistently do the hard yards and more time. It's obvious we are missing Havard at the moment.

Mago has become more consistent, but at the expense of any real impact - our offloads have dried up across the board and we have very little variation now - just an attempt at playing a conservative, controlled grind up field , which we are not even doing that very well.

I think we have shrunk into our shells far too much trying to be controlled above everything else.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Add Havard, KPP and Nsemba (who should be playing over Shorrocks IMO) and suddenly our pack is looking a lot bigger.

We are down on troops and out of form.

We totally dominated Saints pack the previous 2 times we played them. Good Friday for long spells they couldn’t get out of their own 40metre line.

Havard and Cooper our 2 best props, Isa and KPP 2 of our 3 out and our back rowers.

Take out Saints 2 best props (Walmsley and Paasi) and 2 back rowers (Sironen/Batchellor) and we’d probably bash them about in the forwards.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

We should never have got shut of Ollie Party .
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

up the junction wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 am We should never have got shut of Ollie Party .
He wasn't very big though was he?
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Not a giant no but there’s no way he would roll over like our pack at the minute does .
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Obviously we look much better with Havard back.

I wonder why Harvie was only used for a small amount and came back only on the 75th minute. It's one criticism of Peet in that he does seem reluctant to give the younger kids game time - when we were plainly struggling in the forwards and I thought he looked pretty good.

I'm questioning Shorrock's role in the pack when are so lightweight, imo we need Nsemba in there instead to give extra go forward. We do have an issue in defence though so it's a fine balance as he's usually a good defender.

I do think our issue in defence though stems from our attitude in defending as a unit and putting pressure on the attackers rather than being so passive and letting them gain so many yards per carry - we are always on the back foot then.

I know Peet likes to get 3 men in and control the ruck speed so probably doesn't like a quick aggressive line, but we are just inviting the opposition to get over the advantage line and land on their front so we're losing the control anyway.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

up the junction wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:50 am We should never have got shut of Ollie Party .
I’ve said that all along 🤨 Gutted he left!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:51 am
He wasn't very big though was he?
He was bigger than you think, & always played with passion for Wigan. He got control of his over aggressiveness which used to see him sent off regularly for the academy.

He wasn’t getting game time!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

We never run onto a ball, our forwards are almost level with the dummy half or first receiver so we are always flat footed & then we don’t gain any yards!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:31 am Add Havard, KPP and Nsemba (who should be playing over Shorrocks IMO) and suddenly our pack is looking a lot bigger.

We are down on troops and out of form.

We totally dominated Saints pack the previous 2 times we played them. Good Friday for long spells they couldn’t get out of their own 40metre line.

Havard and Cooper our 2 best props, Isa and KPP 2 of our 3 out and our back rowers.

Take out Saints 2 best props (Walmsley and Paasi) and 2 back rowers (Sironen/Batchellor) and we’d probably bash them about in the forwards.
Shorrocks was doing so well after the leigh loan but hes dropped off massively
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE