Wigan vs Saints match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan vs Saints match thread

Post by Southern Softy »

The morning after the night before and it still doesn't feel any better,
That team selection looked a bit desperate at the time and it proved to be so.
I'm assuming Miski had illness/injury (?) because he made hardly any yards out of defence which was part of the problem that led to us kicking from too deep.
It looks like the Thornley sIgning just hasn't worked at all.
French can't be played in the halves again - out to the wing and maybe Miski at centre?
Normally decent players had shockers - Wardle for one - Smithees for another (swap him with Shorrocks for second-row and loose forward might be an option).
Can we not just let Mago go and play a young prop, assuming the league season has probably gone?
We can still win the cup if we go back to basics with Field at FB, French on the wing and Shorrocks in the halves.
And although I think Kendall is normally OK, he, along with the touch judges, had an appalling match. Random giving and non-giving of forward passes; the second effort on Miski which should have been a penalty and I'm glad someone else spotted that leading arm and elbow on Singleton which was at least a yellow and probably a red.
The worst of it was that Saints weren't that good. Walmsley had a terrible night and the messiah gifted us the first 2 tries before waking up and scoring a couple himself.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

archiekeith wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:37 am
Wigan1 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:32 pm We need a massive overhaul right from the coaching set up to the players.

Enough said!
Its lenegans penny pinching that's lead to this ,don't hold your breath for him to do anything, look at the way Mcmanus runs them compared to how we are run,chalk and cheese.
If this is the best you can do lenegan put the word out your willing to sell ,stop treating fans like mugs,ask yourself why leigh have better players in key positions than we do,embarrassing.
Johnone

Post by Johnone »

Did Briers coach the Forwards or perhaps the defence ? a combination of both seem to be the crux of our problems.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:58 am
ddtftf wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:51 am I watched the antics of Welsby in the match hasnt he become a little shit !!!
What you mean become. always been a shit. 😂😂
This!11 :lol:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:08 am The morning after the night before and it still doesn't feel any better,
That team selection looked a bit desperate at the time and it proved to be so.
I'm assuming Miski had illness/injury (?) because he made hardly any yards out of defence which was part of the problem that led to us kicking from too deep.
It looks like the Thornley sIgning just hasn't worked at all.
French can't be played in the halves again - out to the wing and maybe Miski at centre?
Normally decent players had shockers - Wardle for one - Smithees for another (swap him with Shorrocks for second-row and loose forward might be an option).
Can we not just let Mago go and play a young prop, assuming the league season has probably gone?
We can still win the cup if we go back to basics with Field at FB, French on the wing and Shorrocks in the halves.
And although I think Kendall is normally OK, he, along with the touch judges, had an appalling match. Random giving and non-giving of forward passes; the second effort on Miski which should have been a penalty and I'm glad someone else spotted that leading arm and elbow on Singleton which was at least a yellow and probably a red.
The worst of it was that Saints weren't that good. Walmsley had a terrible night and the messiah gifted us the first 2 tries before waking up and scoring a couple himself.
I probably agree with everything there.

French has to be on the wing in this team. No other place for him.
Miski has done little wrong and deserves a run at centre alongside Wardle.
The real issue is that (and I can't believe I am saying this), I think our best option at 6 is to put Shorrocks in.

He offers nothing in attack, obviously, but at least he will shore up the defence.

What a shambles.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Here goes, this my first post of the year though I read every post every day.

I think Daijones was spot on, as was southern softy. I'm not one for slating the ref usually, because they have to have eyes everywhere. In last nights game I do feel even though we were outplayed by a much better team the decisions all went in the favour of Saints. To add to the list there was a pass from Lomax to Sironnen early in the game which was obviously not a forward pass because that doesn't happen, the ball is knocked on and Lomax who must have been in front of the ball dropped on it. Surely he was offside which should have been a penalty, no, instead of a relieving kick we get a scrum close to to our own line and get stifled. Late on in the game they knock on their own line, again Lomax in an offside position drops on the ball preventing Wigan an opportunity on their line. Result, not a penalty and possible sin bin for preventing a try scoring opportunity but a scrum. As was stated by Daijones once the game was well and truly lost the ref started to penalise Saints, because after about 60 mins it looked like it could have been about 60pts to them.

The exact same thing happened when we were thrashed by Cats, it seemed to me that they where never onside, they were all over Wigan like a rash. Sixty minutes gone 46 - 6 down, the ref starts penalising them which then put Wigan on the front foot for the first time. Result in last 20 mins 16 - 0 to Wigan. The same thing happen to a degree when they whacked us at home, the theory being if we push the boundaries the whole game you get away with it most of the time.
Although we are in terrible form at the moment we do seem to getting the rough end of the stick from the impartial refs, after saying that the second half performance against Leeds was the most abject, humiliating, never to be repeated shambles we are ever likely to see.
There is a lot wrong with our team at the moment, but we have to live through it AGAIN, so lets support them and hope for better from everyone from top to bottom throughout the club in the very near future.
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

Only got to watch the game today as been away on holiday, wasn’t the best performance but ref spoilt the game, some off his decisions were terrible.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

butchbulldog wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:42 pm Only got to watch the game today as been away on holiday, wasn’t the best performance but ref spoilt the game, some off his decisions were terrible.
Ive still only seen bits as i was working but my mam said same.Cant get myself to watch it fully coz i reckon ill get angry and p&@@£d off
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

Well what do youse think? was it the correct decision to drop Powell and King?
Personally I would have kept King in, yes he was poor against Catalans but think he’s had more good games than poor and offers more than Thornley, as for Powell he gets put down a lot on here but I think Wigan are a better team when he’s on the pitch, I don’t think he’s the best hooker in the league and O’Neil is quicker around the ruck but we seem a lot better organised when Powell plays.
Finally, Smith I think it’s time to take the kicking away from him, but he is still a very good player, just playing behind a very beaten pack at the moment.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:54 pm
butchbulldog wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:42 pm Only got to watch the game today as been away on holiday, wasn’t the best performance but ref spoilt the game, some off his decisions were terrible.
Ive still only seen bits as i was working but my mam said same.Cant get myself to watch it fully coz i reckon ill get angry and p&@@£d off
Oh you definately will get p&@@£d off mate!

Totally let the crowd ref the game for most of the match then tried to even it up at the end - dick!