Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Isa

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Is it just coincidence that since he's been out, our defence on that edge has gone to pot? Just occurred to me reading Peet talking about injuries
Caboosegg

Re: Isa

Post by Caboosegg »

No it isn't. TL and Isa made the right edge a nightmare to attack. TL retired bit Isa still had an impact. While kpp was better going forward it was noticeable that Isa wasn't present in the defensive line.

However Isa is 34 isn't he? We can't be relying on a 34 year old and need to find how to defend without him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:45 pm
However Isa is 34 isn't he? We can't be relying on a 34 year old and need to find how to defend without him.
Correct and it’s quite possible a contributing factor to him picking up his injury is his age and the fact he’s been playing at the top level for so long.

Same applies to Cooper but the club seem to expect him to recover and be a member of the team next season given the talk of his rehabilitation. Expecting Isa and Cooper to go around again next season (if that is the plan) is asking for trouble given their respective ages.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:51 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:45 pm
Correct and it’s quite possible a contributing factor to him picking up his injury is his age and the fact he’s been playing at the top level for so long.

Same applies to Cooper but the club seem to expect him to recover and be a member of the team next season given the talk of his rehabilitation. Expecting Isa and Cooper to go around again next season (if that is the plan) is asking for trouble given their respective ages.
I completely agree. I don't mind having a couple of players at the end of their careers as it provides experience and leadership buy currently I can't see how we are prepared to go without them (which is very bad planning)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:24 pm Is it just coincidence that since he's been out, our defence on that edge has gone to pot? Just occurred to me reading Peet talking about injuries
Hasn't helped, but we shouldn't be relying on Isa as a 1st team player.

It's obvious where are main problem is, its are middles. Are middles were decent when all of them where fit. We beat Leigh & Saints with Cooper & Byrne starting and Ellis & Havard on the bench.

Since Cooper got injured yes we beat Warrington but Warrington had most of there middles out, they started Vaughan & Kasiano with Green the only prop on the bench, so it was good time to play them middles wise.

Then from there on we've struggled more and more with Ellis getting injured then Havard. Having to play a complete waste of space Mago, a young in Hill and a spent Singleton has been are downfall and had to rely on are backs to win us games. Plus bringing Ellis back in staight away and have him & Byrne play long mins because Mago & Hill are getting completely dominated.

I will say though if we can manage to get a top prop in mid season we still may have a chance of winning something.

New prop & Byrne
Havard & Ellis
It would be enough to compete, as long as we don't get any more injurys.

Next season we definitely need 2/3 quality props. A 9,6 and right centre would be nice too lol
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:24 pm Is it just coincidence that since he's been out, our defence on that edge has gone to pot? Just occurred to me reading Peet talking about injuries
I think his absence is noticeable because he's probably the best defender we have on that edge, but I don't think it's the biggest issue. I think our problems have more to do with the performances of players in the middle of the field which allows teams the chance to play in the areas where they can do the most damage.

Catalans tore our right edge apart but I don't think that was a deliberate plan to target our biggest weakness. I think they were just playing their own game and it happened that they were so threatening attacking from right to left that that's where the most damage was done.

When you consider the Saints game, it was our left edge that looked the weakest and was leaking tries, as well as the predictable tries towards the middle of the field. That's because Saints are such a good team going from left to right. That's where they are dangerous so they just played their own game.

Basically, if we lose the forward battle teams are going to have the opportunity to attack the way they want to and it doesn't seem to matter which side they go down. If you can dominate down the middle then defenders on the edges will get drawn in and overlaps will appear. It was Field who had a nightmare against Catalans but Smith who got exposed against Saints. To me that suggests they are exposing those channels rather than any particular players in them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Funny how Isa is missed when he's out. Last season we were being told by some that we should get rid - journeyman, not good enough, not Wigan standard etc.

Talking of being valued when out, I note that Roby made double his normal metres gained against us last week. Were we missing anyone, I wonder? 🤔
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Pieman13 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:15 pm

It's obvious where are main problem is, its are middles. Are middles were decent when all of them where fit. We beat Leigh & Saints with Cooper & Byrne starting and Ellis & Havard on the bench.

Since Cooper got injured yes we beat Warrington but Warrington had most of there middles out, they started Vaughan & Kasiano with Green the only prop on the bench, so it was good time to play them middles wise.

Then from there on we've struggled more and more with Ellis getting injured then Havard. Having to play a complete waste of space Mago, a young in Hill and a spent Singleton has been are downfall and had to rely on are backs to win us games. Plus bringing Ellis back in staight away and have him & Byrne play long mins because Mago & Hill are getting completely dominated.

I will say though if we can manage to get a top prop in mid season we still may have a chance of winning something.

New prop & Byrne
Havard & Ellis

Next season we definitely need 2/3 quality props. A 9,6 and right centre would be nice too lol
If we paper over the cracks and manage to win something this year then next year will be more of the same with minimal average signings coming in
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

medlocke wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:41 pm
Pieman13 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:15 pm

New prop & Byrne
Havard & Ellis

If we paper over the cracks and manage to win something this year then next year will be more of the same with minimal average signings coming in
I doubt that entirely. I'd guess the majority of the signings are already in negotiation or already done deals and any others are already being looked at regardless of weather we win anything or not

But then if we win something surely that's what we want as supporters anyway? Isn't that what we sign players to do? Win things.
You could also argue that winning things would attract a higher calibre of player too. If an NRL player sees Wigan want them and they want to build on some sort of success they already have surely that's more of a lure than to a Wigan side that haven't won owt for a while
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

But then if we win something surely that's what we want as supporters anyway? Isn't that what we sign players to do? Win things.
You could also argue that winning things would attract a higher calibre of player too. If an NRL player sees Wigan want them and they want to build on some sort of success they already have surely that's more of a lure than to a Wigan side that haven't won owt for a while
Or you could argue that we have won things in the last few years yet we haven't exactly attracted (on the whole) above average overseas players.

I agree with Meds, we need a whole culture change if we are to become a consistent, top performing team as Saints are. If people are happy with the way things have been over the last few years that's their right but personally I'm fed up of the inconsistency and if winning nothing is what it takes to open the eyes of the powers that be then so be it.

Imo it's all very well doing all the 'fluffy' stuff out in the community etc. but I would like us to put as much effort on becoming a top performing team again.