Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Isa

Post by Caboosegg »

mickali1 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:40 am
But then if we win something surely that's what we want as supporters anyway? Isn't that what we sign players to do? Win things.
You could also argue that winning things would attract a higher calibre of player too. If an NRL player sees Wigan want them and they want to build on some sort of success they already have surely that's more of a lure than to a Wigan side that haven't won owt for a while
Or you could argue that we have won things in the last few years yet we haven't exactly attracted (on the whole) above average overseas players.

I agree with Meds, we need a whole culture change if we are to become a consistent, top performing team as Saints are. If people are happy with the way things have been over the last few years that's their right but personally I'm fed up of the inconsistency and if winning nothing is what it takes to open the eyes of the powers that be then so be it.

Imo it's all very well doing all the 'fluffy' stuff out in the community etc. but I would like us to put as much effort on becoming a top performing team again.
You do realise that "fluffy stuff" is required under the IMG grading.

I do agree though we need to stop bringing in these average players like Field and French and stop signing youngsters like Cust. Them Manly fans obviously have no idea about rugby. Imagine being upset to lose such an bang average player. We should been signing players like wire do. That Bullock is and amazing players wonder where he came from.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:24 am
But then if we win something surely that's what we want as supporters anyway? Isn't that what we sign players to do? Win things.
You could also argue that winning things would attract a higher calibre of player too. If an NRL player sees Wigan want them and they want to build on some sort of success they already have surely that's more of a lure than to a Wigan side that haven't won owt for a while
Or you could argue that we have won things in the last few years yet we haven't exactly attracted (on the whole) above average overseas players.

I agree with Meds, we need a whole culture change if we are to become a consistent, top performing team as Saints are. If people are happy with the way things have been over the last few years that's their right but personally I'm fed up of the inconsistency and if winning nothing is what it takes to open the eyes of the powers that be then so be it.

Imo it's all very well doing all the 'fluffy' stuff out in the community etc. but I would like us to put as much effort on becoming a top performing team again.

I do agree though we need to stop bringing in these average players like Field and French and stop signing youngsters like Cust. Them Manly fans obviously have no idea about rugby. Imagine being upset to lose such an bang average player. We should been signing players like wire do. That Bullock is and amazing players wonder where he came from.
If you bothered to read my post with both eyes open you will have seen I said 'on the whole'. I f you think Cust is anything other than average, well.......

If my memory serves then I think we signed Bullock in the first place :?:

As for the 'fluffy stuff' it may well be a requirement of the IMG grading, I just wish we put as much energy into the 1st team side of things, we'd be world beaters.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:11 pm Funny how Isa is missed when he's out. Last season we were being told by some that we should get rid - journeyman, not good enough, not Wigan standard etc.

Talking of being valued when out, I note that Roby made double his normal metres gained against us last week. Were we missing anyone, I wonder? 🤔
He couldn't get into the team for months on end when fully fit at one stage...

We are absolutely missing Isa but its also a sign that we are getting worse at 2nd row. He is a capable squad player but he would be struggling to make the 17 at Catalans and Saints...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

mickali1 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:03 am
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:24 am

If you bothered to read my post with both eyes open you will have seen I said 'on the whole'. I f you think Cust is anything other than average, well.......

If my memory serves then I think we signed Bullock in the first place :?:

As for the 'fluffy stuff' it may well be a requirement of the IMG grading, I just wish we put as much energy into the 1st team side of things, we'd be world beaters.
I did read it and yes we signed Bullock and moved him on when it didn't work but I believe he was a wigan youngster at one point.

We do sign player that are suppose to be well above average and have been burnt.

FPN/Burgess being recentish ones. And also signed some supposed average players who have been brilliant Larne Patrick out performed my expectations.

Look at Hastings did anyone think after how well he went at Salford that he would be such a difficult player for us?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.