Wigan vs Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Wigan vs Wire

Post by Barney841 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:10 pm I get what Meds is saying completely. Lots of positives but still a few negatives as well.

The positives

Team spirit and heart was obviously there. To go a man down (and one of our bigger forwards lost as well) against a big Wire team and to still come out on top took a lot of effort and everyone put a shift in.

Havard really lifted the pack and did big minutes. I was wondering about his fitness but that performance shot those doubts down completely. I just hope it was a case of recorver rather than using injections as I've seen quoted on here.

Hill looks to be getting better and better. He looked good at Saints and when he came on he looked strong against a big Wire pack.

Defence was tenacious and caused a lot of issues for Wire and is a reason why they made so many errors.

O Neil, while not particularly running the show, picked the pace up a few times and got us on the front foot. Something we've lacked for a number of years.

Smith kicked 3 from 3 one from the touchline which won us the game. He also controlled the game well a few times and only made one or two poor kicks.

Negatives:

We still struggled to create much. We relied on the same kick over and over again on the last tackle in their 20. Our attack had no fluidity to it and I struggle to see how we can score tries as and when needed.

Field and French were kept quiet all game, but I think we can allow for that with them having the extra man for 73 minutes of the game.

Singleton looks absolutely done and I really want to see more of Nsemba but Peet seems reluctant to throw him in.

In summery I think we rode our luck a little and I was worried most of the second half as we ran out of steam, but we really dug in and just crept over the line. They made a lot of mistakes. As said many were from our tenacious defence but they will be disappointed about the sheer number of dropped balls irrespective of tough defence. Big win and definitely a morale boost. Still issues with our attack but that was definitely more like what we need to see effort wise.

Last little bit of my waffle - what was Ellis thinking? Just forced a goal line drop out and he goes and headbutts Ratchford twice!
Can’t disagree with any of that
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:15 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:10 pm I get what Meds is saying completely. Lots of positives but still a few negatives as well.

The positives

Team spirit and heart was obviously there. To go a man down (and one of our bigger forwards lost as well) against a big Wire team and to still come out on top took a lot of effort and everyone put a shift in.

Havard really lifted the pack and did big minutes. I was wondering about his fitness but that performance shot those doubts down completely. I just hope it was a case of recorver rather than using injections as I've seen quoted on here.

Hill looks to be getting better and better. He looked good at Saints and when he came on he looked strong against a big Wire pack.

Defence was tenacious and caused a lot of issues for Wire and is a reason why they made so many errors.

O Neil, while not particularly running the show, picked the pace up a few times and got us on the front foot. Something we've lacked for a number of years.

Smith kicked 3 from 3 one from the touchline which won us the game. He also controlled the game well a few times and only made one or two poor kicks.

Negatives:

We still struggled to create much. We relied on the same kick over and over again on the last tackle in their 20. Our attack had no fluidity to it and I struggle to see how we can score tries as and when needed.

Field and French were kept quiet all game, but I think we can allow for that with them having the extra man for 73 minutes of the game.

Singleton looks absolutely done and I really want to see more of Nsemba but Peet seems reluctant to throw him in.

In summery I think we rode our luck a little and I was worried most of the second half as we ran out of steam, but we really dug in and just crept over the line. They made a lot of mistakes. As said many were from our tenacious defence but they will be disappointed about the sheer number of dropped balls irrespective of tough defence. Big win and definitely a morale boost. Still issues with our attack but that was definitely more like what we need to see effort wise.

Last little bit of my waffle - what was Ellis thinking? Just forced a goal line drop out and he goes and headbutts Ratchford twice!
Can’t disagree with any of that
You said it far better than I could, thanks
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

Fantastic effort. Happy for Smith, got his kicks and put in another top performance in a big game. You can't expect him to do that every week with all the changes and having no real 6 with him. Havard was class, would be criminal now to waste his best years with no good props round him.

Looks like that's the spine Peet going to stick with. Hopefully French gets to grips with it with more games, he definitely has the defence for it, made some awesome tackles today.

But have to say I still don't think Cust looks right, still struggles to tackle. I'd be playing him in the reserves to get his body right, try Forber or Powell off the bench instead.

I knew Peet would be worried to bring Singleton on with his lack of mobility especially in his current condition and with only 12 men. But he had to play him at some point, after 5 mins of him being on I said to my dad I'd be taking Singleton straight off he was so off it and potentially could of lost us the game, thankfully Peet did for Smithies.

Also I'd be more confident going with Hill & Smithies as are bench props and give Singleton few games in the reserves.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Cust looked a waste of a bench place to me. Might as well have given it to Nsemba; Shorrocks could fill in for 20 mins if O'Neill needed a break. But that's a detail. Great team performance. But Jeez, Wire were poor. To be bossed by 12 men in that first half?
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:49 pm Cust looked a waste of a bench place to me. Might as well have given it to Nsemba; Shorrocks could fill in for 20 mins if O'Neill needed a break. But that's a detail. Great team performance. But Jeez, Wire were poor. To be bossed by 12 men in that first half?
A stronger bench would have been Mago Smithies Nsemba Hill
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And we still have to have a moan! Unbelievable afterthat win 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:49 pm Cust looked a waste of a bench place to me. Might as well have given it to Nsemba; Shorrocks could fill in for 20 mins if O'Neill needed a break. But that's a detail. Great team performance. But Jeez, Wire were poor. To be bossed by 12 men in that first half?
Got to agree, Cust came on and made some poor choices with the ball and gave a silly penalty. I'll watch it all again as initial opinion is maybe skewed with emotion :)

First half performance with 12 was pretty much faultless, I think we were unlucky not to be further ahead (not lucky as some have stated?). Can only assume Singo picked up a knock during the game? Props to Miski after having a bad game v Saints and coming back strong. Hill had a great spell too.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:25 pm And we still have to have a moan! Unbelievable afterthat win 🤨
Oh don't Josie. If you read my babbling post surely you agree that some of the points raised are still valid concerns despite the better effort
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:25 pm And we still have to have a moan! Unbelievable afterthat win 🤨
Oh don't Josie. If you read my babbling post surely you agree that some of the points raised are still valid concerns despite the better effort
Yes, some of your points are very valid, but, let’s do all that tomorrow.

I’m elated that we won that game & amazed considering how we have played our last two games & then to have Ellis sent off & to then come on here, not just you, but others also, why wouldn’t you all want to bask in the moment, in that win, which was amazing IMO.

I go to every home & away games, & sometimes come away deflated that we haven’t played well. Today I want to enjoy that win.

I even had neighbours shouting through my kitchen window at me around 8.30 ish. They’d been to the game & then gone to the local just down the road to celebrate, & were still so happy & pleased with the win it just makes you feel great 😊 especially with the way we won it.

I just want to enjoy it 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:06 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 pm
Yes, some of your points are very valid, but, let’s do all that tomorrow. So their is a time limit on when we can reflect in a calculated way on whats happened in the game?

I’m elated that we won that game & amazed considering how we have played our last two games & then to have Ellis sent off & to then come on here, not just you, but others also, why wouldn’t you all want to bask in the moment, in that win, which was amazing IMO. nobody is stopping you enjoying the momebt. Im sure everyone on here (bar one or two are very happy that we beat a rival team in a knockout game and especially given the circumstances of the sending off and recent form

I go to every home & away games,yes you may have mentioned that once or twice & sometimes come away deflated that we haven’t played well. Today I want to enjoy that win. again, nothing stopping you from enjoying it because some people on the internet forum want to talk about the game?

I even had neighbours shouting through my kitchen window at me around 8.30 ish. They’d been to the game & then gone to the local just down the road to celebrate, & were still so happy & pleased with the win it just makes you feel great 😊 especially with the way we won it.

I just want to enjoy it 😊
As said, I'm sure most on here (not counting Suzieb and her husband/dog/whoever else uses her account) are just as happy with the win. No one is stopping you from enjoying it. Maybe if people giving the odd negative thought along with the praises affects you that much, you should consider not using a forum where people will discuss such topics until you're in a mental state to read peoples opinions. And don't take that in a bad way because I don't mean it to come across like that, but surely you can understand why people may just want to go into the good and bad of our game after watching?