Squad v Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: Squad v Wire

Post by ddtftf »

Do you honestly think Cade Ellis has been a good prop of the Wigan calibre & todays incident was unforgivable in such an important game, its Flowers all over again no respect for his fellow players and more important the Wigan fans I make no excuses for saying both him and Mago have not met the standard expected . keptinthedarkfans sorry mate but only telling it as i see it & the local props at Wigan have outplayed them every game , they have had time to settle in now so no excuses .
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm Do you honestly think Cade Ellis has been a good prop of the Wigan calibre & todays incident was unforgivable in such an important game, its Flowers all over again no respect for his fellow players and more important the Wigan fans I make no excuses for saying both him and Mago have not met the standard expected . keptinthedarkfans sorry mate but only telling it as i see it & the local props at Wigan have outplayed them every game , they have had time to settle in now so no excuses .
Can't really argue with that.

I thought Ellis may have turned a corner but what on earth was all that about today? Type of thing you would be embarrassed to do as an under 17.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:56 pm I know Smith was given man of the match but Havard was outstanding in that game. I think he played about 65 minutes in total having just returned from injury and was involved in so many of the good things that we did. He really is a special player and you can see the difference he makes to the team.

Ellis was stupid. If a player is fired up and mistimes a tackle and gets a red you can sort of take that, it happens. To get sent off after 6 minutes for a headbutt is really stupid stuff. I think minimum we can expect is a 2 match ban which is so frustrating when we've been down on forwards recently.

We can't ignore the fact that Wire were absolutely abysmal, but it still requires a huge effort to get that win given the size of their pack and the threat that they possess. They have so many players capable of making breaks or making a winning play out of nothing that we had to defend heroically.

It's hard to single out individuals for that effort but I think Havard, Smith, Farrell, Shorrocks and O'Neill made huge contributions.
A fair summary. Can’t believe Ellis. At first I thought here we had another ref wanting to be the centre of attention but then it was obvious he had to go. What and idiot and as you say just when we get a forward back we will likely loose him for a few weeks.

Huge effort to win that despite Wire being poor. I bet King scoring has gone down well over in Warrington :lol:
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

On the BBC coverage, there was a pitch invasion by Matty Peet’s girls after the match. My eyes may be deceiving me, but they seemed to be wearing number 9 shirts… that explained a few things :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Yeah, we were sh8te today!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
mjdodge13

Post by mjdodge13 »

I think it’s pretty obvious Cust, Ellis and Mago haven’t been the signings we hoped.

(Signing players on the NRL fringes worked with French and Field but not these 3. I Would still rather take the risk than signing over the hill NRL players on big money.)

Anyway……how good was Harvard today? Easily MOTM!
Also very promising game from O’Neil. He adds something extra.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Proper pisses me off folk saying how bad Warrington played . We made them play bad by controlling the game .
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

ddtftf wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm Do you honestly think Cade Ellis has been a good prop of the Wigan calibre & todays incident was unforgivable in such an important game, its Flowers all over again no respect for his fellow players and more important the Wigan fans I make no excuses for saying both him and Mago have not met the standard expected . keptinthedarkfans sorry mate but only telling it as i see it & the local props at Wigan have outplayed them every game , they have had time to settle in now so no excuses .
Unfair slightly on flower I think I’m not saying some of what you say is true - flower was involved in an altercation with hohia he got smashed by an elbow and reacted

Ellis was truly unforgivable because he sought out trouble everything was 100% on him it wasn’t even heat of the moment just idiocy
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:21 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:32 pm Where have Smiths kicking boots been since last time we played Wire and what a difference Ethan Havard made .

Well done to everyone but how did Singleton get away with only doing 45 minutes in a 12 match team
He did a lot less than 45 minutes.

Byrne and Hill were swapping throughout and with Ellis off, the way you give Singleton is by giving Havard less minutes….
See edited note regarding fat finger error, I meant to type 5 Minutes
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:34 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 5:21 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:32 pm Where have Smiths kicking boots been since last time we played Wire and what a difference Ethan Havard made .

Well done to everyone but how did Singleton get away with only doing 45 minutes in a 12 match team
He did a lot less than 45 minutes.

Byrne and Hill were swapping throughout and with Ellis off, the way you give Singleton is by giving Havard less minutes….
I could have sworn Singleton only did about 5 minutes. Havard seemed to come off after around 60 minutes and Singleton came on, and then I'm sure Smithies was back on at around 65 minutes for Singleton.

Obviously the right call though. I thought Hill had a really good spell and showed why he was introduced before Singleton.
We said 4. He did one carry then went off!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan