Kaide Ellis Red card incident

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Kaide Ellis Red card incident

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Seen people on twitter defending it and saying it was a yellow - even rival fans

I'm sorry to say I don't see it that way. I don't know what went on just before but we had just forced a goal line drop out and had a good start. It wasn't as if it was a quick lash out either as he did it twice. Absolute brain fart moment and I'm not impressed in the slightest
Caboosegg

Re: Kaide Ellis Red card incident

Post by Caboosegg »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:35 am Seen people on twitter defending it and saying it was a yellow - even rival fans

I'm sorry to say I don't see it that way. I don't know what went on just before but we had just forced a goal line drop out and had a good start. It wasn't as if it was a quick lash out either as he did it twice. Absolute brain fart moment and I'm not impressed in the slightest
He doesn't headbutt twice, though. He initial just squares up and both him and ratchford lean there heads in. Then they come together again. You only see that one is a headbutt from 1 angle.

Still a headbutt which equals a red.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 6:35 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:35 am Seen people on twitter defending it and saying it was a yellow - even rival fans

He doesn't headbutt twice, though. He initial just squares up and both him and ratchford lean there heads in. Then they come together again. You only see that one is a headbutt from 1 angle.

Still a headbutt which equals a red.
That's fair enough I only saw it on the big screen as it was at the opposite side to me. Looked like a double headbutt and then Ratchford had some blood
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Can't really defend Ellis as it was incredibly dumb. I really don't see what Ratchford could possibly have said to him to get him wound up but I have a suspicion it wasn't much of anything, which is concerning. Once teams know a player is easy to get at they will keep targeting them.

I know it wasn't a forceful headbutt but it was still stupid. He was trying to do that daft thing where they try to go head to head and look into their eyes and be like 'oh look I'm really dominant and scary'. Except as soon as you move your head towards an opponent and they don't it becomes a headbutt and you end up looking like an idiot.

His punishment now depends on how it's viewed by the match review panel. It's either Grade C-D: Headbutting - makes light contact to head of opponent, or Grade D-F: Headbutting - makes full contact to head of opponent.

The first is a suspension between 1 and 3 games and the second is 2 and 6+. The incident with Dezaria last year will count against him so he almost certainly won't be getting the minimum of whichever band he's graded in.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Can't we have a clause in players' contracts saying if you're banned and the club deems it's through your own stupidity, you can have your pay docked?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Yeah deffo a red, just can’t do it. Clearly made decent enough contact as Ratchford was bleeding.

It’s like Ellis remembered he couldn’t throw punches like he did last year but headbutts aren’t allowed either.

A really bad moment from Ellis but he’s been good this year, hope his ban isn’t long and we get him back for the semi.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Red card all day long by the letter of the law,however heat of the moment reaction so just move on and learn from it.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:08 am Can't we have a clause in players' contracts saying if you're banned and the club deems it's through your own stupidity, you can have your pay docked?
What good what that really do though?

You think in the heat of the moment yesterday Ellis is going to think about his contract and pay getting docked?

Some people have short fuses and anger issues and react different to others. Certain players need support and training in these areas to make sure they can control their aggression and reactions in the right moments.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Grade D
3 matches + fine

i think thats pretty fair to be honest and could poss have been worse.

In terms of a headbutt, i would say more like putting head into someone elses face, as opposed to making a specific headbutt, but we know you cant do it or good chance sending off + ban
ian.birchall

Ellis ban

Post by ian.birchall »

Only 3 matches, probably because he already had 75 minutes of another one.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.