Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ Sam Powell is set for a spell on the sidelines.

The hooker, who has missed the last two games for Matty Peet’s side, will undergo an operation on his shoulder which will keep him out for around the next four weeks.

Following the 14-12 victory over Warrington Wolves in the Challenge Cup quarter-finals, the Wigan head coach explained Powell’s recent absence.

“Sam was originally dropped for selection reasons but it’s allowed us to take a look at a shoulder injury he’s been playing with,” he explained.

He will have a small operation on that now.

“He’s been playing through the pain this year- playing very very bravely.

“It’s time now for him to have the operation, which will keep him out for four weeks.”

Brad O’Neill has played as hooker in the Warriors’ last two outings, while Cade Cust has featured off the bench.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-4187296
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dreamteam

Re: Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Post by Dreamteam »

Brad won’t let us down. He deserves to be playing longer minutes
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Brad has done a few things Powell doesn't do. Mainly, running from dummy half and upping the tempo. We haven't seen that for a long time from a hooker so it's just good to see. His overall game looks to be improving all the time as well
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

O’Neil deserves his chance. Brings something different to the team.
I just hope when Powell is fit again that Peet doesn’t just drop O’Neil instantly
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Get well soon Sam hoping the surgery works well for you 👍
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Well it's up to whoever plays hooker now to show their worth and more to the point show something Powell doesn't bring to the table but let's hope he gets himself.sorted
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

I'd like to see Tom Forber get a go at some stage.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I agree I think that Tom is a better option than cust
Wigan_forever1985

Powell

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Has anyone heard the full story yet? Is he injured or just dropped? - seemed odd for him not to be in the 21 at least
It was mentioned on bbc but only in passing and I haven’t seen any questions asked directly to peet about it

Curious more than anythin I don’t think Cust did enough to displace him from a match day team but O’Neill certainly is no1 in my eyes now and should be starting even if Powell does come back
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Re: Powell

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:45 pm Has anyone heard the full story yet? Is he injured or just dropped? - seemed odd for him not to be in the 21 at least
It's both as stated above:
“Sam was originally dropped for selection reasons but it’s allowed us to take a look at a shoulder injury he’s been playing with,” he explained.

He will have a small operation on that now.

“He’s been playing through the pain this year- playing very very bravely.

It’s time now for him to have the operation, which will keep him out for four weeks.”