Wigan vs Wire

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Wigan vs Wire

Post by the pieman »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:31 am Been at the Isle.of wight festival all weekend the game on the bbc as usual?
yep its ont iplayer. got it on at the minute

Wire players are knackered (or some are) with just under 10 mins of the 1st half left. You would think they were a man down
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:37 am
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:31 am Been at the Isle.of wight festival all weekend the game on the bbc as usual?
yep its ont iplayer. got it on at the minute

Wire players are knackered (or some are) with just under 10 mins of the 1st half left. You would think they were a man down
My lad went so was getting the odd update from him said it was a great game and pretty much what you said it looked like wire had the man down rather than wigan.

Anyway cheers for that will be watching it later on.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Positives I think.
If they could bottle that team spirit and use it liberally through the season!
What a performance from Havard,
I thought Shorrocks ran his blood to water.
Great game from O'Neill.
Farrell led by example.

And time to use the overseas forwards as occasionals to give the young, home players some rest time. Hill should be joined by Nsemba as a regular. Miski should probably be the only retention of an overseas player unless Cust can get properly fit.

Still think the cup is the only realistic chance of a trophy this season but what a feat that would be,
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

As a Happy Clapper can I come to Medlocke's defence. He has a point, though can't be accused of understatement.

The win was tremendous - up in my top 10 best games ever, I'd say. But it was there for backs-against-the-wall spirit. If I am honest with myself, I must accept that Wire's mistakes were the main factor in our "dominance".

In no way does this detract from the team's efforts, togetherness, and desperation, which were out of this world. But it does mean that we can't rely on teams playing as badly as Warrington did every.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:54 am As a Happy Clapper can I come to Medlocke's defence. He has a point, though can't be accused of understatement.

The win was tremendous - up in my top 10 best games ever, I'd say. But it was there for backs-against-the-wall spirit. If I am honest with myself, I must accept that Wire's mistakes were the main factor in our "dominance".

In no way does this detract from the team's efforts, togetherness, and desperation, which were out of this world. But it does mean that we can't rely on teams playing as badly as Warrington did every.
in terms of the Wire errors, i'd say 50:50. Many were forced because of our defence, but equally they had some brain farts and trying to throw miracle passes when they needed to build pressure. Not one of the wire players stood up and tried / took control of the game. THey kept playing the same stupid game plan for the 1st 40 mins, whereas Wigan kept it relatively simple, but kicked really well on the last tackle and we turned them round many times within their own 10m area. Their forwards were gassed (Kasiano taken off against us again cos he was knackered)
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

We won because the fowards did what they are paid to do
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Harvey Hill is coming on at a rapid rate ,he played to a high standard yesterday.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Excellent performance,im not saying Smith did not play well but Havard,Miski and Faz were the best 3 players on the field.Wire were very poor in the first half but that does not detract from our efforts.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

blindsideprop wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 11:17 am Excellent performance,im not saying Smith did not play well but Havard,Miski and Faz were the best 3 players on the field.Wire were very poor in the first half but that does not detract from our efforts.
i was listening in the car as i was on the way over to Leeds to pick up my daughter. Jon Wilkin in commentary said Havards performance one of the best he's seen in last 10 years from a prop forward. basically he took on the Wire props by himself and came out on top.

i think Hill has the opportunity to be a monster prop in the next few years too, if he stays grounded and develops. Looking at the size of him now, and with 2-3 years of building muscle / mass in the off season, and we really could have a beast of a prop forward in the ranks
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Magnificent performance, one to savour. Having Havard back improved us no end, he was superb, I think everyone deserves massive credit they all played their part. I think a special mention to Miski, Smith, Havard, Shorrocks & Farrell they where outstanding and more.

I was so happy and equally relieved, that I didn't mind getting drenched walking back to my car whilst listening to a chorus of dirty Wigan b******* from the Wire fans who were also getting drenched by the weather and bitterness.

I believe it was Wigan's dominance that forced Wire into so many mistakes, as was said earlier you would have thought they were a man down, they offered nothing in the first half.
Whilst at the Gym this morning a Saints fan came to me saying how rubbish Warrington where and also threw in that it was a poor crowd 9302 which is about what Saints get for their games. Don't know why he mentioned that! Talk about anybody but Wigan, never given any credit, always the other team was rubbish no acknowledgement for the heroic effort put in by the newly named Wigan apostles.

After the antics of Kendall in the past couple of weeks I think the ref in our game got all the big calls correct. Well done, credit where it's due.