Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Powell

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:26 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:45 pm Has anyone heard the full story yet? Is he injured or just dropped? - seemed odd for him not to be in the 21 at least
It's both as stated above:
“Sam was originally dropped for selection reasons but it’s allowed us to take a look at a shoulder injury he’s been playing with,” he explained.

He will have a small operation on that now.

“He’s been playing through the pain this year- playing very very bravely.

It’s time now for him to have the operation, which will keep him out for four weeks.”
I know i posted a new thread on powell but hadnt read the posts earlier so one of the admins merged the threads i saw the update after i posted my question even though it appears at the end :)

Im glad that there is an acknowledgment of him being not selected rather than simply injured

If O'Neill carries on Powell should find it difficult to get back in the team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Matty Peet’s daughters have the number 9 on the back of their shirts. No Dad worth his slat would drop his daughters’ fave.
widdenoldboy

Re: Wigan Warriors' Sam Powell set for a spell on the sidelines following operation

Post by widdenoldboy »

Fairs fair, if he has been playing through the pain barrier than it would affect his form.
Last edited by widdenoldboy on Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PJC

Post by PJC »

Best wishes to Sam. Here’s to a speedy recovery.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:07 pm Matty Peet’s daughters have the number 9 on the back of their shirts. No Dad worth his slat would drop his daughters’ fave.
I have a Powell shirt with 9 on the back for his testimonial year as have the girls on their testimonial shirt for Sam Powell!! Doesn’t mean he’s mine or their favourite player.

Lockers youngest daughter asked me on Sunday evening who is my favourite player now her Daddy has stopped playing & my reply wasn’t Powell!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
bertina

Post by bertina »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:24 pm Fairs fair, if he has been playing through the pain barrier than it would affect his form.
He must have been playing through the pain barrier for the past 4 seasons. 😂😂
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

bertina wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:28 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:24 pm Fairs fair, if he has been playing through the pain barrier than it would affect his form.
:lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:32 pm
bertina wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 3:28 pm
:lol:
Glad someone else said it
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 am Brad has done a few things Powell doesn't do. Mainly, running from dummy half and upping the tempo. We haven't seen that for a long time from a hooker so it's just good to see. His overall game looks to be improving all the time as well
I agree he's not acted from dummy half as per Brad But both have never "hooked a ball in Ernest at all. Why do we continue to use out dated definte descriptions for a position that "dummy half" is more appropriate now the said terms being no longer relevantly synonymous?
The question requires no answer it being a rhetorical rant :lol:
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

archiekeith wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 4:53 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:30 am Brad has done a few things Powell doesn't do. Mainly, running from dummy half and upping the tempo. We haven't seen that for a long time from a hooker so it's just good to see. His overall game looks to be improving all the time as well
I agree he's not acted from dummy half as per Brad But both have never "hooked a ball in Ernest at all. Why do we continue to use out dated definte descriptions for a position that "dummy half" is more appropriate now the said terms being no longer relevantly synonymous?
The question requires no answer it being a rhetorical rant :lol: