Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Stanfax

Re: Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by Stanfax »

Doesn't get the praise or recognition he deserves because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. In the last 18 months or so he's really channeled his aggression in a better way. You don't see him in as many scraps or giving as many penalties away and I don't think I've seen a player work as hard as he does for the full 80 week in week out.

Wonder if he does have a bit of the "flashy stuff" in his locker? That pass at Spurs' ground to set up a try last year was pretty good. Or is he just coached to play a certain role and leave that to others? If so, could be missing out on an occasional opportunity to bring a point of difference to the team.
medlocke

Re: Matty Peet shares praise for Morgan Smithies as he prepares to make landmark for the club

Post by medlocke »

Big stick wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:49 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:16 pm Is this what we want from our head coach "It’s not a job to me, I find it really fun" , could never see Graham Lowe or John Monie saying such things
Aye. Imagine reading the whole thing and only picking out the fact our head coach enjoys his job as something to comment on negatively
I’m with Blackpool so what if he finds it fun it doesn’t mean he put any less work in than other Head Coaches. I’d argue to say it’s a good thing he find it fun as the pressure on coaches is massive.
Nobodies said he isn't allowed to have fun or enjoy himself, all I'm saying is keep it professional, the fans don't need to know this, I recall Waney getting a load of stick from fans on here for being mates and dead matey with the players, funny how the consensus changes, and it doesn't stop with Peety, it's trickles through to Lockers and Lulu then on up to Rads and Lenners, This is called Jobs for the boys and it needs eradicating from the club, I bet Eamonn McManus isn't best buddies with the squad at Saints
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Modern coaching methods are at odds to what you're saying, meds. There is soooo much difference between the public perception and what actually goes on inside the club and behind the scenes that the differences are staggering.

nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:09 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:00 pm Doesn't get the praise or recognition he deserves because he doesn't do the flashy stuff. In the last 18 months or so he's really channeled his aggression in a better way. You don't see him in as many scraps or giving as many penalties away and I don't think I've seen a player work as hard as he does for the full 80 week in week out.
Not 100% sure I agree with the scraps and penalties comments. When he was tackled on the try line v Wire añd he was getting, something g provoked him into squaring off against the Wire tacklers before another Wigan player pulled him up and away.
I like his commitment but always worry that he is not too far away from a brain implosion but then that was Ellis' job on Sunday.
3rd in tackles in the league, 1st for marker tackles, not in the top 20 for penalties, no red cards and one yellow card...

Kind of debunks the theory when you factor in the above and the number of minutes he plays.

The fact is he is an absolutely immense player in defence and is starting to make improvements in attack.

Deserves a lot more credit than he gets and people criticize him based on hunches about his penalties or the fact he isn't this ball playing loose forward that basically doesn't even exist.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

Totally agree, Nathan, and I wish I could share the footage during the first team video analysis, that they were using to highlight Morgan's commitment and desire.

josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

That’s why I waited for Bateman to leave, no way should he have had the 13 shirt, so I could put a proper 13 Loose Forward on the back of mine 😊

Smithies on my home, Havard on my away & French on the Charity shirt.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:26 pm That’s why I waited for Bateman to leave, no way should he have had the 13 shirt, so I could put a proper 13 Loose Forward on the back of mine 😊

And Welsby on your England jersey josie?😭
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wes

Post by Wes »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:16 pm
Big stick wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:41 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 7:49 pm

Aye. Imagine reading the whole thing and only picking out the fact our head coach enjoys his job as something to comment on negatively
I’m with Blackpool so what if he finds it fun it doesn’t mean he put any less work in than other Head Coaches. I’d argue to say it’s a good thing he find it fun as the pressure on coaches is massive.
Nobodies said he isn't allowed to have fun or enjoy himself, all I'm saying is keep it professional, the fans don't need to know this, I recall Waney getting a load of stick from fans on here for being mates and dead matey with the players, funny how the consensus changes, and it doesn't stop with Peety, it's trickles through to Lockers and Lulu then on up to Rads and Lenners, This is called Jobs for the boys and it needs eradicating from the club, I bet Eamonn McManus isn't best buddies with the squad at Saints
McManus is close to all of his staff and players, they pride themselves on being a family club and want their signings to be decent people as well as good rugby players, one of my relatives works for them has done for years, loves the place an can’t sing their praises enough. They also promote from within we just don’t see it the same as we ain’t fans.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 4:06 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 3:26 pm That’s why I waited for Bateman to leave, no way should he have had the 13 shirt, so I could put a proper 13 Loose Forward on the back of mine 😊

And Welsby on your England jersey josie?😭
No way!

It was always Lockers. Then last year when we played the friendly at Wire, I put KPP on the back & he didn’t play! Then they brought another shirt out for the World Cup so got that but no one on the back!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Smithies is playing loose forward - most of the time
The last 3 loose forwards were oloughlin, Farrell and Clarke
He is nowhere near the level of these 3 players
How often goes he send out pin point passes to our centres or wings
Put him at prop or second row
Just saying