New signings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: New signings

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:12 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:06 pm I thought Walters was a second row? And thought I had watched a couple of games where he played second row recently. Did I imagine that??? (Just checked what Matty P and I wasn’t imagining it…)
I am just repeating what it says on the Wigan press release.

“ Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce the signing of prop forward Sam Walters from the 2024 season.”

It does say he made his debut for Leeds playing back row but that’s the quote from subheading on the press release on the Wigan web site.
It is literally in the link on the Walters announcement. Read all of the words before having a pop.
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Ok for props now. We’ve got Harvard, Byrne, chan, hill, Cooper and Walters. Last game for Leeds he started as prop. Mago will be moved on.

We need to replace Isa and Farrell is not getting any younger. Also an experienced half back to go with Smith. If King is going back to Wire then we need to bring in another centre

I would expect Singleton, Powell, Thornley, Hampshire, Mago Isa and Cust to be moved on so we should still have plenty of scope. Also question mark about Ellis?. So hopefully there is more to come.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

EagleEyePie wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:54 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:53 pm I’m beginning to wonder if SuzieB actually exists
With some of the characters and things people come out with on this forum it wouldn't surprise me if only one of us exists and everything else is in their overactive imagination. I've no idea which one of us is real though.
Love it! And it's not me btw.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

the pieman wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:14 am
Suzieb wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:14 pm See that lot down the road have resigned hurreii and sironen who have we signed???
the club must have seen your original post :)

Havard 4 year contract extension
Leeming 4 year deal
Walters 3 year deal
Great stuff Walters look excellent - a big 2nd row who can easily cover at prop.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

On Powell, to my mind his position became particularly untenable once we decided to keep French and Field. We could potentially afford a defensive 9 in a team with creative players in other key positions, but not with only Smith as a creative hub. It is a comment on the balance in the squad and the system we should play. It would be interesting to see where he might go - a team like Salford or Leigh, with attacking threats elsewhere, might find a place for hm.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:36 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:21 pm I like Walters and Leeming, and can see both of them strengthen/plug conspicuous gaps. I have no opinion on Chan.

Unless I am mistaken, we still have 2 unused marquee spots, with only Bevan on a huge contract this year. If so, and given Danson’s increasing interest in things Wigan, I wonder whether we might see some more interesting activity before we are through (given that I assume all we have seen so far is Leeming for Powell, Walters for KPP, and Chan for Singleton)…
The press a release from Wigan announces Walters signing as a prop forward so how is he a replacement for KPP?

Both Walters and Chan are young for props so makes me wonder if Wigan will look for Cooper to make a full recovery and carry on and possibly even also keep Mago to add some experience to the front row???

What about the back row? Isa must surely be on his last season, Faz though playing well isn’t getting any younger and with KPP gone as well as the fact we already lost Bateman is this where we might see some more transfer activity?

Also what’s the deal with King? Will we also need another centre?
Mago won’t be at Wigan next season, Ellis will. I expect Wigan to recruit at least one more forward.
Charriots Offiah

Graham1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:54 pm Ok for props now. We’ve got Harvard, Byrne, chan, hill, Cooper and Walters. Last game for Leeds he started as prop. Mago will be moved on.

We need to replace Isa and Farrell is not getting any younger. Also an experienced half back to go with Smith. If King is going back to Wire then we need to bring in another centre

I would expect Singleton, Powell, Thornley, Hampshire, Mago Isa and Cust to be moved on so we should still have plenty of scope. Also question mark about Ellis?. So hopefully there is more to come.
I am confident that Ellis will stay.
Charriots Offiah

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:24 pm
Suzieb wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:14 pm See that lot down the road have resigned hurreii and sironen who have we signed???

Leeming 4 year deal
Walters 3 year deal
Great stuff Walters look excellent - a big 2nd row who can easily cover at prop.
There are not many good young players in SL, we have some of the best. We now need to make sure we have others tied down.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:03 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 5:24 pm

Leeming 4 year deal
Walters 3 year deal
There are not many good young players in SL, we have some of the best. We now need to make sure we have others tied down.
Well we've done that with Havard. I'd love to see us play Nsemba more as well as Hill. I was initially impressed with Junior at Leeds and would love to see him get more game time but Hill really has stepped up more and more each time he's been selected. I especially liked when he put Matty Lees on his arse :D
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:00 pm
Graham1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:54 pm Ok for props now. We’ve got Harvard, Byrne, chan, hill, Cooper and Walters. Last game for Leeds he started as prop. Mago will be moved on.

I am confident that Ellis will stay.
He’s staying