French and Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

French and Field

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Are they expected to stay with us beyond the end of this season?
The Pearl1

Re: French and Field

Post by The Pearl1 »

They are both under contract for 2024

Field has an option for 2025

French has an option for 2025 and 2026.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

The Pearl1 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:12 pm They are both under contract for 2024

Field has an option for 2025

French has an option for 2025 and 2026.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Going nowhere. We actually can do without them much to the amazement of fans of other super league clubs. But as with any one else in team sports, You are that bit better with your best players involved.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

It's great that we have them both even if we don't always use them both to their full potential. Does anybody else out there think that Matty Peet intends to continue with one or other at 6 next season thus signalling the end for Cust especially as he won't be needed at hooker?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

It's the only way. I'd like them the other way around but I think consistency is more important. Anything but wasting them on the wing where they only get 2 touches a game, and we lose the go forward we need from our wingers.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The way I see it, French is really enjoying himself over here at the club, we should tie him down till 2026 with the option of 2027, as for Field I think he will be wanting to get back to the NRL so let him go after next season, French is more than good enough at number 1
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:14 pm It's the only way. I'd like them the other way around but I think consistency is more important. Anything but wasting them on the wing where they only get 2 touches a game, and we lose the go forward we need from our wingers.
Was French really wasted on the wing last year? Wasn’t he top try scorer?

I get the point, but IMO the best balance for the team is Field at 1 and French on the wing.

Neither are 6s but Field can do it better than French in attack but French’s defence in the line is very good.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:42 pm It's great that we have them both even if we don't always use them both to their full potential. Does anybody else out there think that Matty Peet intends to continue with one or other at 6 next season thus signalling the end for Cust especially as he won't be needed at hooker?
Me.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:16 pm The way I see it, French is really enjoying himself over here at the club, we should tie him down till 2026 with the option of 2027, as for Field I think he will be wanting to get back to the NRL so let him go after next season, French is more than good enough at number 1
It’s called an embarrassment of riches. I am not sure that Field wants to go back to the NRL.