Wigan boss Matt Peet makes bold 2024 transfer vow amid Adam Keighran speculation

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan boss Matt Peet makes bold 2024 transfer vow amid Adam Keighran speculation

Post by josie andrews »

With three big captures already in the bag for 2024, Warriors chief promises more as recruitement drive continues with Australian utility back among his targets

Wigan boss Matt Peet admits the club’s spending spree isn’t over yet and Catalans’ Adam Keighran could be the next player on his way to DW Stadium.

The Super League club showed their ambition by announcing three new signings in less than 24 hours yesterday. Starting with ex-Leeds hooker Kruise Leeming, they also confirmed Rhinos prop Sam Walters and exciting Catalans forward Tiaki Chan are all destined for Warriors in 2024. But Peet wants more recruits and he confirmed ex-Sydney Roosters utility back Keighran, 26, is on his radar

He said: "He is a player we've identified as a potential target. Whether we sign him or not, but I won't shy away from the fact we admire him as a player and he's out of contract so can I see why the link has been made. He's a good player; I've been really impressed with him this season but ultimately he's a Catalans player at the moment and there's nothing further been done than that. He's a good player, there's a lot to like about him."

Asked how many signings he expects to make for 2024, Peet added: “I couldn't give you a number. But there's a few areas yet - key areas - and we're going to be smart and ambitious and get the right people in if they become available. We won't bring people in just to fill a gap; they've got to add something and I stress, on and off the field. I wouldn't like to single it out (which area). We've lads in those positions that are playing. I don't think it's fair. There's a chance Toby King will go back to Warrington so that (centre) would be the most obvious one."

Peet expressed his delight at getting so much business done so early. He added: "When you get deals done and announced it allows you to shift your weekly process back as a coach. It's exciting, it shows the club's vision for the future, ambitious, knowing we want to prove and we're really pleased with the type of player and person we've managed to recruit."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-le ... n-30332432
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan boss Matt Peet makes bold 2024 transfer vow amid Adam Keighran speculation

Post by Firestarter »

Just a chance kings going back to wire? Plenty scope there to sign him permanently.Sign him up and also keighran with another top forward or two, job done
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan boss Matt Peet makes bold 2024 transfer vow amid Adam Keighran speculation

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:34 pm Just a chance kings going back to wire? Plenty scope there to sign him permanently.Sign him up and also keighran with another top forward or two, job done
I would suspect that decision has already been made together with the future of other players.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

It’s certainly exciting times ahead. I’m trying to guess who else or what positions we are still looking to recruit for. If we are loosing KPP & Singo, and if Cooper wasn’t retained along with Mago, Thornley & Cust and if Powell went into a coaching role (bear with me) that could potentially be 7 players leaving with 3 players in so far.

Say we get Keighran and kept both King & Isa that would hopefully leave a spare few quid for one or two decent Props (no idea what player’s salary are or availability on the cap) assuming Walters is playing 2nd row.

Imagine that for a squad for next year!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Keighran has apparently turned down Catalans offer of a new contact.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:30 am Keighran has apparently turned down Catalans offer of a new contact.
Yes, think someone else has already posted it in the Rumour Mill.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PJC

Post by PJC »

I’ll begin by saying that I’m really pleased with Wigan’s recruitment. However there needs to be a careful line drawn that means the up and coming home grown talent doesn’t look elsewhere.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Three more definitely with one possible that we are moving heaven and earth to get over the line.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

lucky 13 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:42 pm Three more definitely with one possible that we are moving heaven and earth to get over the line.
No names lucky?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

lucky 13 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:42 pm Three more definitely with one possible that we are moving heaven and earth to get over the line.
We have 2 marquee spots to fill next season don't we?