Option taken to extend Miskis contract for one more year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Option taken to extend Miskis contract for one more year

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:09 am I think from my point of view on the whole French on the wing argument

Its fine for season games and he will score handsomely as a result but if we are honest he wont be "the difference" in that position in a close match. The 7 tries game is a perfect example of were given the correct set of circumstances he will score more than Miski for example however winning by 20 or 40 becomes irrelevant

When it matters which is always a wet/cold winterish night in old trafford French is never going to be in the position to score 7 tries on the Wing. Grand finals are rarely high scoring matches unless the teams are mismatched which doesnt happen too often.

In matches like that French on the wing doesnt make sense, he isnt big enough to drive the ball out in exit sets and is unlikely to be on the end of a free flowing move that Miski couldnt finish. You'd want him in the thick of the action with his hands on the ball

In the last 3 Grand Finals theres been 11 tries, only 2 from wingers
Completely disagree on every point.

It’s a very good example of damning him with faint praise and what I was getting at in my previous post where I said French is being seen as a bog standard winger when he is anything but. You go even further and are suggesting he’s going to be an inferior option to Miski which is ridiculous and elevates Miski beyond the player he is.

Miski. is an SL standard winger and nothing more. In fact you are seemingly and bizarrely holding the fact French scored 7 tries in a game against him ignoring the fact if he creates one try off his own bat from the wing in a GF it will one more than Miski who is a finisher.

If GF’s are low scoring games for wingers where is the evidence Miski or Marshal will be more effective than French? Miski hasn’t got the pace to go the length whereas Marshal and French have but Marshall hasn’t got the step nor elusiveness of French (and neither has Miski).
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:46 pm

In fact you are seemingly and bizarrely holding the fact French scored 7 tries in a game against him ignoring the fact if he creates one try off his own bat from the wing in a GF it will one more than Miski who is a finisher.
He'll have way more chances to create 1 try for himself at SO or FB than on the wing IMO. Imagine if he had THronley or Isa inside of him due to injuries! Get his hands on the ball.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:46 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 11:09 am I think from my point of view on the whole French on the wing argument

Its fine for season games and he will score handsomely as a result but if we are honest he wont be "the difference" in that position in a close match. The 7 tries game is a perfect example of were given the correct set of circumstances he will score more than Miski for example however winning by 20 or 40 becomes irrelevant

When it matters which is always a wet/cold winterish night in old trafford French is never going to be in the position to score 7 tries on the Wing. Grand finals are rarely high scoring matches unless the teams are mismatched which doesnt happen too often.

In matches like that French on the wing doesnt make sense, he isnt big enough to drive the ball out in exit sets and is unlikely to be on the end of a free flowing move that Miski couldnt finish. You'd want him in the thick of the action with his hands on the ball

In the last 3 Grand Finals theres been 11 tries, only 2 from wingers
Completely disagree on every point.

It’s a very good example of damning him with faint praise and what I was getting at in my previous post where I said French is being seen as a bog standard winger when he is anything but. You go even further and are suggesting he’s going to be an inferior option to Miski which is ridiculous and elevates Miski beyond the player he is.

Miski. is an SL standard winger and nothing more. In fact you are seemingly and bizarrely holding the fact French scored 7 tries in a game against him ignoring the fact if he creates one try off his own bat from the wing in a GF it will one more than Miski who is a finisher.

If GF’s are low scoring games for wingers where is the evidence Miski or Marshal will be more effective than French? Miski hasn’t got the pace to go the length whereas Marshal and French have but Marshall hasn’t got the step nor elusiveness of French (and neither has Miski).
Im not suggesting he is inferior to Miski as a player at all the rest of your post suggests youve completely missed the point i was making

if i want to go rallying id be better off in an old mini than an F1 car, does that make a mini better than an F1 car? no! it simply means that given the conditions you pick the appropriate mode of transport

Bevans best when he has his hands on the ball and the ability to use his footwork and speed. In a grand final the chances are the conditions will be poor and the chances are teams will play conservatively you dont go whipping it out to the wing at every opportunity the surface will be likely greasy and the ball slippy.

You say "if" grand finals are low scoring for wingers - well there is no "if" im giving you the evidence in fact you want to know the position that scores the most? Forwards.

Again GF's are low scoring matches in comparison to league matches, im not using his 7 tries against him and you've actually backed up the point i was making in your last paragraph - what im saying is that the chances are very slim in a GF, So its not about miski being more effective its in my opinion the chances that are likely to fall to a winger on a GF night are kick catches/scores and 5-10m out rushes both of which Miski is capable of - no he cant go length of the field but neither can Bevan without his hands on the ball

The area in which Miski is better than French is driving the ball out during exit sets which again you are likely to do a lot in a grand final

If the grand final was played on firm ground in sunshine then yes absolutley have FRench on the wing, but its not therefore i think he's better further in field where he is liekly to see the ball a lot more and do all the things you're saying he is capable of
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

You may like to watch a game and see how many drives and gain yards Miskis makes
in every match it will surprise people and it also tires opposition forwards out as he drives the ball in hard .
Wigan_forever1985

ddtftf wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:29 pm You may like to watch a game and see how many drives and gain yards Miskis makes
in every match it will surprise people and it also tires opposition forwards out as he drives the ball in hard .
Agreed and in tight games that’s very important
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Is he the slowest winger in super league or is he the best prop forward we've got, very average player that typifies where we're we are at. We've let Tom Davies go and Burgess bit this guy must fit the bill.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Mickw wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:10 am Is he the slowest winger in super league or is he the best prop forward we've got, very average player that typifies where we're we are at. We've let Tom Davies go and Burgess bit this guy must fit the bill.
Exactly. The smoke being blown up Miski’s arse is getting ridiculous.

He can drive a ball out of defence and finish tries from20 meters or less and that’s it.

Does Peet not know how to get the ball out of defence without using wingers as props? Maybe so.
Pieman13

Post by Pieman13 »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:04 am
Mickw wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:10 am Is he the slowest winger in super league or is he the best prop forward we've got, very average player that typifies where we're we are at. We've let Tom Davies go and Burgess bit this guy must fit the bill.

He can drive a ball out of defence and finish tries from20 meters or less and that’s it.

Does Peet not know how to get the ball out of defence without using wingers as props? Maybe so.
Agree, Miski has been performing really well but people overrate him. He should be are 3 choice winger when both Field & French are playing. He's definitely a step down compared to French, people forget there's great light wingers about too, Johnstone, Valentine Holmes, Addo Carr etc.

Also Marshall, Wardle & King do plenty enough meters to help the pack!
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Driving the ball out of defence and finishing tries from about 20 metres is about 95% of what a winger has to do with ball in hand.

Also, pretty much every single team uses the wingers to carry the ball in their own half. It's pretty much the done thing for every club now. When he was briefly back in this country and in the Sky studio Lee Briers was analysing Brisbane's attack since he took over and even commented on how important it was that their outside backs made most, if not all, of their carries in their own half so the props could be used further up the field.

Miski is an inexpensive winger whose recent performances have been impressive enough to make him our in form winger. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that he's the next Martin Offiah but in a salary cap sport how much benefit do you get from having a superstar winger when you consider when and where they are most likely to receive the ball.
Wigan_forever1985

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:38 pm

Driving the ball out of defence and finishing tries from about 20 metres is about 95% of what a winger has to do with ball in hand.

Also, pretty much every single team uses the wingers to carry the ball in their own half. It's pretty much the done thing for every club now. When he was briefly back in this country and in the Sky studio Lee Briers was analysing Brisbane's attack since he took over and even commented on how important it was that their outside backs made most, if not all, of their carries in their own half so the props could be used further up the field.

Miski is an inexpensive winger whose recent performances have been impressive enough to make him our in form winger. I don't think I've seen anyone suggest that he's the next Martin Offiah but in a salary cap sport how much benefit do you get from having a superstar winger when you consider when and where they are most likely to receive the ball.
This
In spades