French And Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: French And Field

Post by Suzieb »

What I’m saying is it does not matter what position you play if you play with passion and desire
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Our coaching team has been saying all week that wakey is an hard place to play yet we play a weakened team against them utter rubbish by our coaching staff
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:30 pm Our coaching team has been saying all week that wakey is an hard place to play yet we play a weakened team against them utter rubbish by our coaching staff
Correct, our coaching staff are a joke, you get the best possible person for each position, not one of the lads
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:35 am The problem I see is that if you look within the team right now you may say French is a superstar winger and that’s where he should play

That’s a debatable I can see people like DaveOs point for sure but I still think in crunch matches the heavy lifting is done by wingers being used on exit sets. Think of the best wingers in the league like makinson - he’s almost more known for his ball returns as he is his tries.
It really isn’t and a team that has a couple of prop’s masquerading as wingers will win naff all. In any case if you put someone like French on the wing any coach with anything about him will adjust the tactics accordingly.

Is Peet capable of adopting a game plan to match the squad he has? I seriously doubt it but the idea it’s written in a tablet of stone wingers must cart the all out is just not true and something you have obviously latched onto to try and make your point. Where on earth did you get this idea that is the case?
Like it or not it’s a modern game aspect - offaih for example would propbably struggle in the modern game because he would be expected to drive the ball out - crabbing across the line expecting to find a gap but middles are a lot lot fitter now and you can’t go round them you have to go through them
Absolute nonsense. Offiah struggle in the modern game? I have heard it all now. He’d struggle with Peet coaching him who doesn’t know how to adapt his tactics but he’d be running in tried for fun against the standard of players that inhabit the modern game.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:27 pm What I’m saying is it does not matter what position you play if you play with passion and desire
You’ve gone from being an expert coach to saying this?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:30 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:35 am The problem I see is that if you look within the team right now you may say French is a superstar winger and that’s where he should play

That’s a debatable I can see people like DaveOs point for sure but I still think in crunch matches the heavy lifting is done by wingers being used on exit sets. Think of the best wingers in the league like makinson - he’s almost more known for his ball returns as he is his tries.
It really isn’t and a team that has a couple of prop’s masquerading as wingers will win naff all. In any case if you put someone like French on the wing any coach with anything about him will adjust the tactics accordingly.

Is Peet capable of adopting a game plan to match the squad he has? I seriously doubt it but the idea it’s written in a tablet of stone wingers must cart the all out is just not true and something you have obviously latched onto to try and make your point. Where on earth did you get this idea that is the case?
Like it or not it’s a modern game aspect - offaih for example would propbably struggle in the modern game because he would be expected to drive the ball out - crabbing across the line expecting to find a gap but middles are a lot lot fitter now and you can’t go round them you have to go through them
Absolute nonsense. Offiah struggle in the modern game? I have heard it all now. He’d struggle with Peet coaching him who doesn’t know how to adapt his tactics but he’d be running in tried for fun against the standard of players that inhabit the modern game.
No you are wrong. BUT it has to be part of the balance of the team, not just an addon.

You don't "need" fast wingers if you play with this system.

Essentially the wingers take the ball up on 2-3 plays and save the energy of the forwards for defensive work.

It can and does work in Australia.

The issue is that our team isn't good enough to work with these tactics.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We're fine as we are in the backs, the forwards are the problem.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 3:30 pm

I also doubt there's a place in a SL side for an offiah style winger these days. How many times has a flyer come into the game only to end up in the Champioship because of "defensive frailties" or handling errors or something like that. I don't think pure speed is valued on the wing by modern coaches.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:21 pm We're fine as we are in the backs, the forwards are the problem.
That's my point. There is no point in the wingers saving our forwards for defence, when they are incapable of using that advantage to pin the opposition back.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO there is a reason that players like Jamie foster and Kevin penny weren’t mainstays in the modern game - it’s changed zippy lightweight wingers aren’t the best for the modern game you have to be capable of driving the ball out in exit sets it’s not how peet coaches it’s however every single coach coaches!!!

Not sure why you’re ignoring that the game has changed a winger can’t just be fast and skilful they have to be able to drive the ball out too

No one is suggesting props as wingers you’re just saying silly things to back up your point.

I’m not saying French shouldn’t play wing but I do believe we lose less playing minski there than we lose by not having a proper 6 which is what French staying and on the wing might mean due to the cap
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure