Peet comments

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Peet comments

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:47 pm
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:14 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:10 pm

Why does he need to get angry? Just to make fans feel better isn't a particularly good reason. We don't need a coach performing to the Sky cameras and journalists.
Absolutely agree. He isn't one for big gestures. No doubt he told the team what he thought in a calm measured way. That's the best way for a coach to be. Shouting and swearing at players after a loss is counter productive
Actions speak louder than words.
^^ this 100% like Lam mk 2 now
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:11 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:14 pm

Absolutely agree. He isn't one for big gestures. No doubt he told the team what he thought in a calm measured way. That's the best way for a coach to be. Shouting and swearing at players after a loss is counter productive
What actions? He's leaving Smith foundering over the goal kicks, there has been an issue on the right side of the defence all season and he still doesn't know who his best 6 is.
He does. Its French. Consistently selected for over a month now.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:03 pm

What actions? He's leaving Smith foundering over the goal kicks, there has been an issue on the right side of the defence all season and he still doesn't know who his best 6 is.
if french is our best 6 we may aswell pack up
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He can’t seriously think French is a 6. He’s got two players who are supposed to be 6’s and perhaps he should think that doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is supposedly the definition of insanity.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:11 pm

He can’t seriously think French is a 6. He’s got two players who are supposed to be 6’s and perhaps he should think that doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result is supposedly the definition of insanity.
The question of who is our best 6 is relative to the options available. Who is our best 6?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

We dumped Field from 6 far too quickly for me. The best we’ve attacked all season was the 60 mins at Leigh with French at 1 and Field at 6. Yes it was a defensive disaster with Field at 6 at Magic but the lad was back after 2 months out and the lads inside and outside of him also had a nightmare. Ultimately though I don’t think either are a stand off but Field has played there more often in his career if what I read is correct.

In terms of going forward, I think we’ll stick with it for a spell and see if it settles. As bad as the team were on Friday, it’s the most threatening French has been at 6 so far. If we do change it, I think we’d have to put French back on the wing. I whisper it quietly but I think I’d have Marshall under more pressure than Miski currently. He’s not playing poorly as such but Miski is in great form and I don’t think Marshall has been at his very best this season so far.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:06 pm We dumped Field from 6 far too quickly for me. The best we’ve attacked all season was the 60 mins at Leigh with French at 1 and Field at 6. Yes it was a defensive disaster with Field at 6 at Magic but the lad was back after 2 months out and the lads inside and outside of him also had a nightmare. Ultimately though I don’t think either are a stand off but Field has played there more often in his career if what I read is correct.

In terms of going forward, I think we’ll stick with it for a spell and see if it settles. As bad as the team were on Friday, it’s the most threatening French has been at 6 so far. If we do change it, I think we’d have to put French back on the wing. I whisper it quietly but I think I’d have Marshall under more pressure than Miski currently. He’s not playing poorly as such but Miski is in great form and I don’t think Marshall has been at his very best this season so far.
I agree with all of this. I mentioned it on a different topic that Field had been playing 6 since the start of the season, he just wasn't starting games there. The tactic of moving French to fullback and Field to 6 was used several times and most fans seemed to want that positional switch to happen from the start. The Leigh game was when it finally happened and despite some mistakes from Field we attacked pretty well and he defended well too.

It's unfortunate that through injury he didn't get the opportunity to have a run of starts at 6. I said before that the Catalans game spooked Peet into ditching Field at 6 but as you said, the players either side of him had a nightmare too. I think it exaggerated Field's weakness.

Defence is one of the reasons why French is currently at 6 right now and to be fair up to this point he seems to have done a decent job. The right edge looks stronger than it did a month or so ago.

I don't think French has been too bad at 6 though. When you consider how poor Cust was playing there at the start of the season, French is currently offering us more. It's a low bar, but our only other recognised 6 is Hampshire and I'm not 100% sure he's even fully fit as he seems to have disappeared in recent weeks.

French at 6 might be an awkward fit, but it's also not a position he's played too many times in his professional career and any player needs time to adapt to a new role. What can't be disputed is that purely in terms of numbers his 2 tries and 4 assists at stand off is a far better return than any of our other halfback options.

I don't think French at 6 is a particularly big problem at the moment when compared to the poor performances from our front row and the tendency to concede soft tries. Our stand off spends most of their time on our right edge and the link between stand off and second row is important. I'm a fan of Shorrocks but he's not an effective attacking threat in the back row, he's very much a ball playing 13 filling in. I'd like to see how we do with a back rower on that side who carries the ball a bit better.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I’d stick for now and see how it goes this next 2 weeks. I’d agree with you that the forward packs performance on Friday was the main issue and not the Field/French conundrum. In fact, I say forward pack but it was actually just the props who were pretty dire. Byrne at least tried to dominate defensively but with Havard going down early, we needed more from Mago and Singleton and they were both non existent. I do get a feeling that a few of the lads who are going have their heads elsewhere at the minute.

After his rest at the weekend, I’d certainly be bringing Harvie Hill back in and it wouldn’t be for Nsemba. It’s not ideal having so much inexperience in the pack but guys like Singleton and Mago are forcing Peets hand for me. Singleton in particular looks like his hearts not in it at the minute. He doesn’t look overly happy to me at becoming a bit part player and rather than fighting for a spot, looks a bit sulky.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 7:11 pm

Its interesting that he would select a player for a long run of matches that he thinks is *not* the best option in that position. Seems unlikely to me. I think what's happening here is that you *disagree* with Peet on this one, not that he doesn't know who his best 6 is.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
culinator

Post by culinator »

Personally i wasnt a great lover of Wanes style of rugby but...

One thing i feel he could do well if not better than any other coach, was motivate his team, even when down, i never felt we couldnt make up a difference and still win.

This i feel is an area that Peet is poor in, he doesnt seem to be able to motivate much when under pressure

Just my own opinion