Forward passes

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Firestarter

Forward passes

Post by Firestarter »

Having just watched the SL Show im amazed how many forward passes have been overlooked for tries.Definately game changers for saints ,leigh and huddersfield.Not knocking the teams im just amazed how many have not been seen
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
WarriorWinger

Re: Forward passes

Post by WarriorWinger »

As a referee it is always difficult to judge a forward pass especially when you are stood in front of the play which is why they are 'taught' to look at the position of the hands when the pass is made, however in S/L games, the touch judges should be in a better position to see if the pass was forward or not, as long as they are in line with play, but you are right so many are missed and some are so forward you wonder how the player even managed to catch the ball
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:18 pm Having just watched the SL Show im amazed how many forward passes have been overlooked for tries.Definately game changers for saints ,leigh and huddersfield.Not knocking the teams im just amazed how many have not been seen
..but it's impossible to tell a forward pass by watching it on video......

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever imposed. Its probably clearer on video than any other decision a video ref could be asked to make.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Shevvylad wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:20 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:18 pm Having just watched the SL Show im amazed how many forward passes have been overlooked for tries.Definately game changers for saints ,leigh and huddersfield.Not knocking the teams im just amazed how many have not been seen

This has got to be the stupidest rule ever imposed. Its probably clearer on video than any other decision a video ref could be asked to make.
It really isn’t.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:40 pm

It really isn’t.
Well, maybe I exaggerate 😄, but you have multiple angles, pitch markings, grass cutlines and often overhead views ( in bigger games admittedly). Otherwise, no- one can ever really say that they've a forward pass on the telly, which is obviously rubbish...
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:40 pm

It really isn’t.
It really is
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Nevertheless, they manage to rule on forward passes with the VR in Union, so I don't see why we can't.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The issue is how you judge momentum? It’s very subjective.

I’d rather they don’t rule forward passes on the video ref - it will end up like football with the VAR which has done more harm than good.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:13 pm The issue is how you judge momentum? It’s very subjective.

I’d rather they don’t rule forward passes on the video ref - it will end up like football with the VAR which has done more harm than good.
You judge in exactly the same way as onside/offside at a kick..by looking at players' positions at the moment of passing and moment of receiving. It's extremely simple...
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:13 pm The issue is how you judge momentum? It’s very subjective.

forget momentum forward is forward.The lines dont lie.Just watch were the ball( not player is) when its released and were it’s caught in conjunction with the lines.Its always a big give away
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE