All time best team: a personal perspective from players watched from 1931 to 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

All time best team: a personal perspective from players watched from 1931 to 2023

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I spent some time with my auntie J last week. She is 99 and still as sharp as ever. She has been watching Wigan since she was 8, so has seen a fair few teams come and go. We were discussing her favourite players, and picked her dream team (only including players she had watched, so apologies to any pre WW1 greats).
Here it is (with her thoughts, save on Brett Kenny where I gave my own view):

1. Martin Ryan: while she thought Jim Sullivan was a great player, she credited Ryan with reinventing the full back role. She also met him and really liked him.

2. Billy B: she was adamant that he was better than Offiah, being able to do everything he could do, but go through the front door if required.

3. Eric Ashton: silky smooth and deadly, apparently.

4. Gary Connolly: could do anything, and was very “watchable” (as is Jai Field, apparently - I think this is an aesthetic comment)

5. Martin Offiah: she particularly noted that he made the difficult look easy and had great hands.

6. Brett Kenny: I may had lead the witness here a little, but she couldn’t think of a better 6. He gave us all a glimpse into what was possible.

7. Andy Gregory: he had 360 degree vision and complete mastery of the value of space. Ours is the most subtle brutal game.

8.Ken Gee: a beast, in a good way.

9. Joe Egan: when hookers were hookers. A leader of men.

10. One of the Blans: neither ever took a backward step.

11. Brian McTigue: he could do anything and everything. He was playing a different game.

12. Graeme West: we spent ages on this one. She agreed that Faz was a better player, but preferred West, I think in part because he lifted a middle of the road team, and in part she preferred him as a person (not that she had met Farrell, but West did build a fence for her once).

13. Ellery Hanley: “the greatest player I have seen, so far”.
DaiJones

Re: All time best team: a personal perspective from players watched from 1931 to 2023

Post by DaiJones »

This is great. Really interesting.
I tried picking an all time Wigan team of players I’d watched (so almost 40 years worth) and I found it almost impossible due to the sheer quantity of incredible playing talent we’ve had at the club
Exiled Wiganer

Re: All time best team: a personal perspective from players watched from 1931 to 2023

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think being able to choose from 80 years somehow makes it easier.
I was really fascinated to hear her talk about the players from way back when - Ryan, Gee and Egan. We read about them but she can draw on the evidence of her own eyes. It made me wish I could have watched Ryan play.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

1. Bevin French - for that X factor
2. Jason Robinson
3. Inga Tuigamala
4. Gene Miles
5. Martin Offiah
6. Trent Barrett
7. Andy Gregory
8. Kelvin Skerrett
9. Robbie McCormack
10. Andy Platt
11. Andy Farrell
12. Andy Goodway
13. Ellery Hanley - the greatest ever
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

1) Sam Tomkins
2) Billy Boston
3) Inga Tuigamala
4) Alan Davies
5) Martin Offiah
6) David Bolton
7) Shaun Edwards
8) Craig Smith
9) Martin Dermott
10) Brian McTigue
11) Bill Ashurst
12) Andy Farrell
13) Ellery Hanley

I would probably have included Brett Kenny and Gene Miles but they were only short term signings.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Dean bell at centre all day long
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

No straw damn us wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:36 pm 1) Sam Tomkins
2) Billy Boston
3) Inga Tuigamala
4) Alan Davies
5) Martin Offiah
6) David Bolton
7) Shaun Edwards
8) Craig Smith
9) Martin Dermott
10) Brian McTigue
11) Bill Ashurst
12) Andy Farrell
13) Ellery Hanley

I would probably have included Brett Kenny and Gene Miles but they were only short term signings.
McTigue sounds like he was a joy to watch.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

It’s something special reading about a persons all time team, that covers such a long period. To have seen all those legendary players and to compare them against others throughout the decades is fantastic.

In terms of my own, running from the late 80’s to the present day, I’d go-

Tomkins
Robinson Bell Miles Offiah
Edwards Gregory
Skerrett Newton Platt
A Farrell L Farrell Hanley

Some incredible players miss out. I’ve possibly gone a bit ‘personal favourites’ over out and out best players with Terry Newton and Liam Farrell, as I absolutely love the pair of them but in fairness, they’re not bad players are they?! and would grace any side we’ve ever had.

Good luck to the opposition beating some of these teams!
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

1). George Fairburn
2). Billy Boston
3) Dean. Bell
4). Gene. Miles
5). Martin Offiah
6). Brett. Kenny
7). Andy. Gregory
8) Brian. Mctigue
9). Martin. Dermott
10). Craig. Smith
11) Bill Ashurst
12). Andy. Farrell
13). Ellery Hanley.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

1). Kris Radlinski
2). Bevan French
3). Inga Tuigamala
4). George Carmont
5). Martin Offiah
6). Frano Botica
7). Shaun Edwards
8) Quentin Pongia
9). Mark Riddell
10). Craig. Smith
11). Dennis Betts