Ian Lenagan to step down as Chairman and Shareholder

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Ian Lenagan to step down as Chairman and Shareholder

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:22 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:35 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 1:54 pm I said many times that once lenagann left it wouldn't be his sons that took over always someone else and so it is Mike Danson let's hope he has the same stabilization that Ian brought to the club
I expect the club to move on to the next level. That comment is not intended to be detrimental to Ian but Mike can afford to make additional investment into the Club.
Honestly I expect more of the same to be honest from Danson I’m not expecting raid after raid for player x,y or z I may be wrong I hope not thought,the one issue that should be brought to a swift conclusion is the stadium 50/50 baby,50/50,all the way.
Despite the extra marquee player he could not make raid after raid even it he wanted to due to the salary cap but I hope behind the scenes it’s not just business as usual. I agree with you on the 50/50 issue with the stadium. As he owns both clubs now he’s not going to be popular if the Warriors continue treated as second class citizens at the DW. There wasn’t much IL could do about it but he’s got no excuse.

It’s been obvious for a few years now that IL has more or less left the running of the club to Radlinski and its no secret I and a few others don’t think he’s up to the job. IL has certainly tried to big him up in his resignation statement but hopefully Danson and the Prof we see through that and aren’t just going to sit back and leave it up to Rads. I doubt he’s got a job for life which under IL it seemed like he had at times and I would imagine he’s looking over his shoulder a bit already. The last thing we need is just shares changing hands and nothing changing with Danson and the Prof silent partners.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:51 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:29 pm Didn’t see that one coming. It’s not that long ago I am sure I read he was on about his successor being his son and the club remaining under the ownership of the Lenagan family.
Did know about this as did a few others on here.

Think it became more apparent when Mr Danson bought the DW & latics that new ownership of both clubs would combine

Mr Lenagan led us out of the doldrums into a great club again as far as I’m concerned. Yes we have had up & downs but we have been a more consistent & successful club from when Mr Whelan owned us!!

I'm surprised it took so long to be announced. it's probably because of the Latics take over which must have taken over quite a bit of their time
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

It's both good and sad that it's all out in the open now but time goes on and IL will be remembered fondly by most Wigan fans. I think things will move along in a positive direction given a little time.
The football stuff ripped up several scenario's in what may have happened off the field and I'm sure this would have already been public if the football club hadn't gone bust.
My hope is and from what I'm told the DW will feel more like an home. I was in the hospitality last night and not sure if it was being told that this was coming but could definitely feel it for the first time.
I do think you may see a difference with signings given a little time for example I don't think the big money rumoured in RU to a couple of players isn't unrelated to us, even without marquee a couple of those signings wouldn't count on the cap first year and only to a degree second year and I'm sure there are ways of making that work or at least we are trying. Off the field it's a case of what do you need.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

With Dansen in full control how will signings be different given we reportedly spend up to the cap?

The only changes can be:

1 - signing players for transfer fees
2 - going after different types of player than we currently do (I.e proven rather than project).

Regardless of the above, Radlinski will still play a large part.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

The marquee rule and home grown rule as changed slightly, though IL and Rads may have utilised that next year anyway. The only thing maybe the RU rule of nothing on cap year one may be used or is at least being looked through it's only what I have been told so just have to wait and see . That's all no slant on how IL and Rads have gone about things and run things Rads will continue as is I imagine.
All I have heard is pretty positive stuff.
Last edited by lucky 13 on Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:04 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:22 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:35 pm

I expect the club to move on to the next level. That comment is not intended to be detrimental to Ian but Mike can afford to make additional investment into the Club.
Honestly I expect more of the same to be honest from Danson I’m not expecting raid after raid for player x,y or z I may be wrong I hope not thought,the one issue that should be brought to a swift conclusion is the stadium 50/50 baby,50/50,all the way.
Despite the extra marquee player he could not make raid after raid even it he wanted to due to the salary cap but I hope behind the scenes it’s not just business as usual. I agree with you on the 50/50 issue with the stadium. As he owns both clubs now he’s not going to be popular if the Warriors continue treated as second class citizens at the DW. There wasn’t much IL could do about it but he’s got no excuse.

It’s been obvious for a few years now that IL has more or less left the running of the club to Radlinski and its no secret I and a few others don’t think he’s up to the job. IL has certainly tried to big him up in his resignation statement but hopefully Danson and the Prof we see through that and aren’t just going to sit back and leave it up to Rads. I doubt he’s got a job for life which under IL it seemed like he had at times and I would imagine he’s looking over his shoulder a bit already. The last thing we need is just shares changing hands and nothing changing with Danson and the Prof silent partners.
Yea I know about the cap the more of the same is what you've pointed out Rads in charge more or less what I feel will happen,blokes like him and I profess to knowing little about the lad generally stay rich by not throwing good money after bad so again Rads ticks the box I suppose I just don't see much upheaval happening but time will tell.

To me for the past few years the DW simply doesn't feel like home and In fell swoop that can end by simply saying the stadium is now 50/50 between both clubs there simply isn't a logical reason why he can't do this for the start of next season.

So there is my take on today's news,more of the same a steady as she goes certainly for a few years more but we shall see.
outback wiganer

Post by outback wiganer »

Huge congratulations to Professor Chris Brookes as well on his appointment as chairman. Well deserved for his services to the club.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Thank you IL for the success you brought and the infrastructure you put in which will serve us going forward.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I see Danson taking over as hugely positive. It gives us 3 new things: we can use the stadium as we like, make it feel like home and benefit from it, have unlimited resources to spend behind the scenes and on players (using all of the salary cap work arounds to the fullest) and Danson knows what a world class organisation looks like. I would be very surprised indeed if Radlinski’s role stays the same, but it may do: however, I would be astonished if we do not become best in class for comms, marketing, commercial development, player development and recruitment. Essentially, the areas where Saints - with a high achieving, rich, professional board in charge - have been ahead of us all day every day for the last 25 years.
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:21 pm With Dansen in full control how will signings be different given we reportedly spend up to the cap?

The only changes can be:

1 - signing players for transfer fees
2 - going after different types of player than we currently do (I.e proven rather than project).

Regardless of the above, Radlinski will still play a large part.
There's more to it than that. In the past we've not really signed players from other clubs academies, because of the transfer fee. Plus, when 1st team players at other clubs have been available, but again with a transfer fee attached, we've ummed and ahh'd about signing them. From what I've been told, the thinking now is "just sign them, whatever the cost" :D