Kaide Ellis signs new deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Kaide Ellis signs new deal

Post by DaveO »

craigo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:50 am I am glad he is staying. Probably the most improved player in the squad. But, Why are we handing so many long term deals out though ?.
Eh? It's a three year deal and he's 26. That's what I'd class as a normal length for a contract. It's not like we have handed out a three year deal to someone who should be retiring.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Didnt rate him at first but i must admit hes improved massively.Not sure about 3 years but obviously the coaching staff think hes worth it
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Kaide has improved this year but I'm surprised he's got another three. Hope he can continue to improve. He's been solid but I'd hope for a bit more from a quota player. Not many good props available though so not a bad signing. Perhaps (not counting Havard) the best of a bad bunch this year? I know that props are likely to pick up the odd ban for mistimed tackles etc but, as Josie says, he needs to stop getting banned for no good reason. He seems keen to stay so that's a bonus.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:54 am Kaide has looked much better this year, hope this settles him and we really see more from him. Three more years is a bit surprising but hopefully shows his intent. I do still think Mago is worth more thought, if only because he adds something different (needs to do it every week though).
Three more years is fine in my view, he should be hitting his peak soon as a prop forward. Mago? Not for me, there are far better players out there on less money.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:07 pm Kaide has improved this year but I'm surprised he's got another three. Hope he can continue to improve. He's been solid but I'd hope for a bit more from a quota player. Not many good props available though so not a bad signing. Perhaps (not counting Havard) the best of a bad bunch this year? I know that props are likely to pick up the odd ban for mistimed tackles etc but, as Josie says, he needs to stop getting banned for no good reason. He seems keen to stay so that's a bonus.
He might be a quota player but could you find anyone better on his salary, that is the question.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:01 pm
southportcdm wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:07 pm Kaide has improved this year but I'm surprised he's got another three. Hope he can continue to improve. He's been solid but I'd hope for a bit more from a quota player. Not many good props available though so not a bad signing. Perhaps (not counting Havard) the best of a bad bunch this year? I know that props are likely to pick up the odd ban for mistimed tackles etc but, as Josie says, he needs to stop getting banned for no good reason. He seems keen to stay so that's a bonus.
He might be a quota player but could you find anyone better on his salary, that is the question.
They don’t seem to think so as this deal has been done for ages. Starting to question if rads is actually involved in recruitment for next year considering the amount of good deals being done.
Last edited by Dreamteam on Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:08 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:01 pm
They don’t seem to think so as this deal has been done for ages. Starting to questions if rads is actually involved in recruitment for next year considering the mount of good deals being done.
Same here :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:57 am
craigo wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:50 am I am glad he is staying. Probably the most improved player in the squad. But, Why are we handing so many long term deals out though ?.
i'm sure he's only about 25, so for a prop really about to come into his prime years, and a 3 year deal IMO feels like a good one for both us and the player

in regards to the other deals handed out, for me it shows we are looking to build a squad and retain our talent. Hopefully the days of signing a 4/5 year contract and we'll let you go if you want to go to Oz or RU are gone
Kaide is 26. Just past on the news to my friend in Oz, his neighbour in Dubbo, who replied he was talking to his grandparents last week 😊

Kaide is happy here & enjoying being here, that makes a big difference IMO. Mind you Patrick Mago also enjoys being here as well as Cade Cust!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Pleased to hear this too. And by the way, the way in which Aussie players seem to be happy here (Ellis, French, Mago, Cust...), I do think it says something about the Club and what they have put in place.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:11 pm Pleased to hear this too. And by the way, the way in which Aussie players seem to be happy here (Ellis, French, Mago, Cust...), I do think it says something about the Club and what they have put in place.
Could well be but ultimately the players have to have the temperament to move overseas. I have worked abroad for a bit and it doesn't suit everybody no matter what is put in place. Pat Richards knew exactly what he was doing when he came here and took to it like a duck to water but some will just get homesick regardless.