Picking a Super League Dream Team as decision day draws closer

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Picking a Super League Dream Team as decision day draws closer

Post by josie andrews »

Rugby League Live Editor Matt Shaw picks his side of the season so far with eight games of the season remaining.

Fullback - Bevan French (Wigan Warriors): Super League has some good fullbacks in its ranks this year but none are unplayable like the Wigan Warriors ace has been for most of the year.

Wing - Josh Charnley (Leigh Leopards): Super League's top metre-maker and joint-top try-scorer is an obvious inclusion after his best season in years. Such has been his form, an England recall has to be a consideration.

Centre - Adam Keighran (Catalans Dragons): Came as a relative unknown after a move from Sydney Roosters but everyone knows who he is now. An excellent maiden season in Super League and will carry that on with Wigan next year.

Centre - Jake Wardle (Wigan Warriors): This was probably the toughest selection as I don't think there was a standout candidate but there are several who have had good seasons. The likes of Tom Opacic, Ricky Leutele, Tim Lafai and Nene Macdonald came into thinking but Wardle gets the nod... for now.

Wing - Tom Johnstone (Catalans Dragons): Another no-brainer. 22 tries, a heap of metres and an injury-free season. The winger has been awesome and it's been brilliant to see.

Stand-off - George Williams (Warrington Wolves): Gets bizarre criticism for some reason but he is, and has been, the best six in the competition this season. Has seven tries and 13 assists so far this season.

Scrum-half - Lachlan Lam (Leigh Leopards): Super League's joint leader for assists this season, such has been the stature of his performances he's got NRL clubs sniffing around him.

Prop - Paul Vaughan (Warrington Wolves): Super League's best player in the earlier rounds and while he isn't getting much acclaim now, he is still posting very impressive numbers.

Hooker - Edwin Ipape (Leigh Leopards): The Papua New Guinea superstar has been just that, a superstar. His story is remarkable and brilliant to see.

Prop - Tom Amone (Leigh Leopards): Possibly a controversial call as he's not a big name but show me someone who has gone better than him? His ball carries are excellent, he's one of the biggest metre makers in the league and is a general handful.

Second-row - Matt Whitley (Catalans Dragons): Criminally underrated. Never has a bad game and does such a good job for Catalans. St Helens have picked up a cracking signing.

Second-row - James Bell (St Helens): Probably Super League's most underrated player. Has been, for me, St Helens' best player this season.

Loose forward - John Asiata (Leigh Leopards): The player I feel the worst about leaving out is Benjamin Garcia, who I think has been fantastic for Catalans this year. But Asiata is just a class act and it's basically impossible to keep him out.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
craigo

Re: Picking a Super League Dream Team as decision day draws closer

Post by craigo »

Smithies ?.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

craigo wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:12 pmSmithies ?.
Must be joking
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dreamteam wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 2:17 pm
Must be joking
That’s craigo’s opinion!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Shouldn't this list just contain saints players?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:06 pm Shouldn't this list just contain saints players?
And if you’re a sky commentator a fair few KR players
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Probably about right for our players this season so far. French is all round box office and Wardle has been great so far. King has shown glimpses but not consistent, Misky and Marshall not quite at the level of Charley & Johnstone, maybe Smith could pip Williams… maybe not…

Forwards wise I could only see Havard & Faz breaking in there but havards injury may limit that, Faz isn’t quite at his usual standards but if we have a good run in the playoffs and reach the cup final I’d bet he may end up pipping Bell by season end.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:57 pm Probably about right for our players this season so far. French is all round box office and Wardle has been great so far. King has shown glimpses but not consistent, Misky and Marshall not quite at the level of Charley & Johnstone, maybe Smith could pip Williams… maybe not…

Forwards wise I could only see Havard & Faz breaking in there but havards injury may limit that, Faz isn’t quite at his usual standards but if we have a good run in the playoffs and reach the cup final I’d bet he may end up pipping Bell by season end.
Not bashing Smith as that’s not the intention of the thread but he is absolutely nowhere near the dream team.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
craigo

Post by craigo »

Must be joking
Not at all. Needs to cut a bit of the what I call, Stupidness. Out of his game. Apart from that, He is brilliant. My favourite player.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

craigo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:18 pm
Must be joking
Not at all. Needs to cut a bit of the what I call, Stupidness. Out of his game. Apart from that, He is brilliant. My favourite player.
Is the “stupidness” just a myth and not properly backed up and based on people’s hunches or things that happened 3 years ago?

Doesn’t feature in the top 20-25 players for penalties this year which isn’t bad given the minutes and number of tackles he does?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."