Code breakers statue Cardiff Bay (Billy Boston)

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Code breakers statue Cardiff Bay (Billy Boston)

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

New statue of the Rugby Codebreakers in Cardiff Bay .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 248935.amp

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Charriots Offiah

Re: Code breakers statue Cardiff Bay (Billy Boston)

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Fantastic, a fitting tribute to three great players.
craigo

Post by craigo »

Think all things considered. The way the game was. Tries had to be worked for that bit harder etc. Billy is the greatest ever RL player. I have never met him tbh. Mrs has. She got me his autograph !. She said it felt special. He really is a Legend. The Ultimate Legend.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

craigo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:15 pm Think all things considered. The way the game was. Tries had to be worked for that bit harder etc. Billy is the greatest ever RL player. I have never met him tbh. Mrs has. She got me his autograph !. She said it felt special. He really is a Legend. The Ultimate Legend.
Watching Billy as an 8 year old is what got me the rugby league bug despite my Dad having played for Wigan & St Helens in the 40’s & me being the official magic sponge carrier for Pemberton Boys in the late 50’s 😂

I was then lucky enough to go & work for him at the Griffin, I was good friends with his daughter Angela who lived close to me. It was only supposed to be for 4 weeks ended up being 4 years! Billy & Joan always classed me as an adopted daughter & I still see them odd times socially 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:24 pm
craigo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:15 pm Think all things considered. The way the game was. Tries had to be worked for that bit harder etc. Billy is the greatest ever RL player. I have never met him tbh. Mrs has. She got me his autograph !. She said it felt special. He really is a Legend. The Ultimate Legend.
Watching Billy as an 8 year old is what got me the rugby league bug despite my Dad having played for Wigan & St Helens in the 40’s & me being the official magic sponge carrier for Pemberton Boys in the late 50’s 😂

I was then lucky enough to go & work for him at the Griffin, I was good friends with his daughter Angela who lived close to me. It was only supposed to be for 4 weeks ended up being 4 years! Billy & Joan always classed me as an adopted daughter & I still see them odd times socially 😊
The greatest of all and, on top of that a lovely fellah with a lovely family. I too had many a good hour in the Griffin and the Royal Oak which was run by another RL player Tommy Dickens (who also coached Whelley boys). Great days.

Regarding Pemberton Josie, did a lad called Jimmy Melling play when you were the club physio? 😀
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:41 pm

The greatest of all and, on top of that a lovely fellah with a lovely family. I too had many a good hour in the Griffin and the Royal Oak which was run by another RL player Tommy Dickens (who also coached Whelley boys). Great days.

Regarding Pemberton Josie, did a lad called Jimmy Melling play when you were the club physio? 😀
😂😂 I’ve a hard time remembering who plays for us now at times. My brother Jimmy who was a few years older than me was in charge of the oranges. My Dad wouldn’t let look after them cos I’d always be eating one or two 😉😉
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
craigo

Post by craigo »

I love reading personal stories like that. You have got to know our players off the pitch too. Maybe makes it harder for you to answer questions like this, But, Is Billy your number one player ever ?. Sounds like it with your first line !.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

craigo wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:31 pm

I love reading personal stories like that. You have got to know our players off the pitch too. Maybe makes it harder for you to answer questions like this, But, Is Billy your number one player ever ?. Sounds like it with your first line !.
No he was the one who got me really watching Wigan & I did like to watch him.

I’ve had several over the years. I never really thought about having a favourite player when I was young, just following Wigan was enough for me.

Then I suppose you start getting star players Henry Paul, Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell, Inga Tuigamala, Kris Radlinsk, Denis Betts & Andy Gregory Terry Newton was a favourite also.

Then suddenly I saw Sean O’Loughlin playing at St Pats, & it was funny cos I thought I like the look of this lad. Then he was in the academy so just followed his career from then.

Told him when he was 18 he’d be next Wigan Captain following Farrell. First time I really got talking to Matt Peet was when he asked me had I told Lockers he would be captain. Apparently Lockers had pointed me out to Matt one day & told him what I’d said & I got to be friends with Matt too then.

It’s just nice that a lot of players who have been at this club remember you supporting them & always stop to say hello &have a chat.
jobo

Post by jobo »

"Exiles to Icons, the codebreakers come home" is on ITV1 Wales, Thursday 27th of July, at 8.30 p.m.

It's about our Billy, Clive Sullivan and Gus Risman.

The description says their work is only now being recognised by a statue and ITV are granting them a whole 30 minutes :shock: