Where's Cust?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
jasonnlouise

Where's Cust?

Post by jasonnlouise »

I've been hammered on other forums asking about this but I'm hoping someone who has more knowledge on this situation than me can answer, to me last season he brought Smith on and only for his injuries late on was our best half back,this season he seems to be out of favour but I still think in tight games we need a 2nd controlling half back late today we set up for a Smith DG early in the tackle count the ball instead went to French who tried a snap DG,to me if Cust was there he'd have taken the tackle or moved the ball on ,I love French but today's game and weather isn't conducive for off the cuff rugby,can anyone offer any reasons other than he's sh**t or can't tackle why Cust isn't playing as he was neither last season
DaveO

Re: Where's Cust?

Post by DaveO »

It’s down the coach who seemingly can’t make the decision to drop Miski and put French on the wing which is what would happen if Cust came back into the side.

Now that particular topic has been done to death about how effective a winger French is or whatever but that’s not what the focus should be on.

It should be on the fact with Fench at 6 it’s not working so something needs to change (and that is the obvious change to make) and to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is not good coaching.

The fact Peet won’t even try it shows a stubbornness that isn’t a good characteristic of a coach.

Maybe it’s already been decided Cust is leaving at the end of the season and if he did play him and it worked that wouldn’t look like a very good decision.
jasonnlouise

Post by jasonnlouise »

That makes sense to me a sheer stubborness rather than what works can't fault Miski and he's taken his chance but Peet needs to revert to last year's halves wingers and fullback that was where we were most effective,great coaches in any sport make ruthless decisions otherwise eventually it'll cost Peet his job
pedro

Post by pedro »

we also have rocky too, so 2 x standoffs and plays a winger at 6...
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:26 pm It’s down the coach who seemingly can’t make the decision to drop Miski and put French on the wing which is what would happen if Cust came back into the side.

Now that particular topic has been done to death about how effective a winger French is or whatever but that’s not what the focus should be on.

It should be on the fact with Fench at 6 it’s not working so something needs to change (and that is the obvious change to make) and to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is not good coaching.

The fact Peet won’t even try it shows a stubbornness that isn’t a good characteristic of a coach.

Maybe it’s already been decided Cust is leaving at the end of the season and if he did play him and it worked that wouldn’t look like a very good decision.
Miski was excellent today and did exactly what you need from a modern winger in bad conditions - made countless meters and took to load off the forwards

I get when the sun is shining on a dry track bevan would be an upper choice today miski was one of our better players
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:26 pm It’s down the coach who seemingly can’t make the decision to drop Miski and put French on the wing which is what would happen if Cust came back into the side.

Time to stop with the French at 6 experiment it hasn't worked because French isn't a 6 in a month of decking sundays
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

pedro wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:35 pm we also have rocky too, so 2 x standoffs and plays a winger at 6...
And what waste of time he's been again you don't sign injured players in a salary capped sport Christ the game throws enough injuries up without importing someone's else's mishaps
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:40 pm

Miski was excellent today and did exactly what you need from a modern winger in bad conditions - made countless meters and took to load off the forwards

I get when the sun is shining on a dry track bevan would be an upper choice today miski was one of our better players
not hard when they kicked to him all day, he offers very little else
pedro

Post by pedro »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:42 pm
pedro wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:35 pm we also have rocky too, so 2 x standoffs and plays a winger at 6...
And what waste of time he's been again you don't sign injured players in a salary capped sport Christ the game throws enough injuries up without importing someone's else's mishaps
but hes played and done ok, poor management really across the board
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Pointless signing it seems.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."