HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Owd Mon

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by Owd Mon »

We play some really dumb rugby at times. Farrell as captain should be controlling the team and tactics on the pitch. He should be barking orders to the team and laying the law down to them stting out what they should do in the next set etc. He seems to escape criticism for his captaincy, or I should say lack of captaincy and tactical naivety.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Owd Mon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:50 pm We play some really dumb rugby at times. Farrell as captain should be controlling the team and tactics on the pitch. He should be barking orders to the team and laying the law down to them stting out what they should do in the next set etc. He seems to escape criticism for his captaincy, or I should say lack of captaincy and tactical naivety.
he cant even control himself
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Owd Mon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:50 pm We play some really dumb rugby at times. Farrell as captain should be controlling the team and tactics on the pitch. He should be barking orders to the team and laying the law down to them stting out what they should do in the next set etc. He seems to escape criticism for his captaincy, or I should say lack of captaincy and tactical naivety.
The organising is the job of the playmakers, not the captain. Why would you want a back row forward dictating what the spine is doing? If that was his strength he'd be playing there instead.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:19 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:17 pm
Wigan1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:14 pm

Direct contact with the head has been a red for years.fornas I said to my wife Miskis gone if the lad stayed down
So why didn’t Miski get sent off?
He should have been but I suspect the KR lad getting up quick saved him
Get up quickly? He stayed down whilst not injured and protested to the touch judge until they had to stop the game. It was only at that point that there was even a chance of a penalty because the VR was going to look. A player who stays down when not injured just because he thinks a penalty should be given - and that tactic working perfectly - seems wrong to me.

IMO if the VR looks at 30-40% of tackles he'll find head contact.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:25 pm Thought when we went down to 12 then Smith would have been told to kick for touch on the last. Make HKR being their set from a standing start. Down to 12 there was no way we were going to be fitter than them going into the last 20 mins.

Somehow I think our luck ran out. We were lucky at Leeds when Newman got greedy. We got lucky against Wire when their match winning try was disallowed for a forward pass. Today we were unlucky as Lewis was falling and Shorrocks hit the ball then his head. We've all seen those decisions be a penalty plus a warning for the offending player involved. We don't usually see a card for those tackles.

Did Moore over react against Wigan with the Warriors being from his home town?
A Wigan referee taking charge of a C Cup Semi Final when Wigan are involved is stupid. Normal for the RFL but stupid for the rest of the sporting world!
As we know though, the RFL do stupid!
It was a VR call. As soon as they say "direct contact with the head" there's only one outcome. But in this instance, I didnt' see a single replay showing that direct contact. The only angle with a good view of the actual collision showed impact in the ball area and possible secondary contact when Lewis's head came *forward* - yes forward from a direct contact to the head! - onto the shoulder and then whiplashed back. No players protested, none ran in, Lewis got up and played the ball.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mike wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:17 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:19 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:17 pm

So why didn’t Miski get sent off?
He should have been but I suspect the KR lad getting up quick saved him
Get up quickly? He stayed down whilst not injured and protested to the touch judge until they had to stop the game. It was only at that point that there was even a chance of a penalty because the VR was going to look. A player who stays down when not injured just because he thinks a penalty should be given - and that tactic working perfectly - seems wrong to me.

IMO if the VR looks at 30-40% of tackles he'll find head contact.
especially in slow motion
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Ipinwigan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:30 pm Moore just made the decisions not to call them offside collecting the ball in an offside position, one of them being a certain 2 points
Last 10 mins was always going to be a no penalties zone. Did you see how far offside Faz was! Moore was not going to give anything to either team if he could help it.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:13 pm
The organising is the job of the playmakers, not the captain. Why would you want a back row forward dictating what the spine is doing? If that was his strength he'd be playing there instead.
he can influence them to slow it down and compose instead he lets a brain fart happen and kicks on the 3rd in golden point, he should have been using his experience and talking all the way through
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I did think we got some bad calls including the sending off.The no six again.Only getting pens after the sending off and always on the first 2 tackles as per.The offside in front of the sticks.However, the truth is we definitely played dumb rugby and never seemed to play our full set of 6 when in a good position.What ever happened to forcing the drop out fir a repeat 6?Whether its the lack of good coaching, a leader or just dumb rugby, things have got to change now.Im expecting brave decisions for the leigh game.No unused subs and players giving 100%.Maybe put miski in the backrow if hes good at driving the ball( sorry nathan).Players have to be axed with Byrne top of my list.King was another poor performer and Faz looked lost
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Yep poor decision by Ben Thaler and Moore. But we had a couple of chances to drop a goal and go 7 points in front. Then we force the drop out 5 mins from time. All we had to do was set it up right and the match was over. But what do we do Smiths not in position and throws the ball to French who has probably never dropped a goal in his life and he panics. We still had one tackle left. Chance lost and so was Wembley. Poor game management on the pitch and off it.