HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:17 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:19 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:17 pm

So why didn’t Miski get sent off?
He should have been but I suspect the KR lad getting up quick saved him
Get up quickly? He stayed down whilst not injured and protested to the touch judge until they had to stop the game. It was only at that point that there was even a chance of a penalty because the VR was going to look. A player who stays down when not injured just because he thinks a penalty should be given - and that tactic working perfectly - seems wrong to me.

IMO if the VR looks at 30-40% of tackles he'll find head contact.
From where I was sat on the touchline he made to get up far quicker than Lewis did with the shorrocks tackle but I've not seen it back so maybe being wet made my eyesight go I don't know didn't have the luxury of TV
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Graham1 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:31 pm Yep poor decision by Ben Thaler and Moore. But we had a couple of chances to drop a goal and go 7 points in front. Then we force the drop out 5 mins from time. All we had to do was set it up right and the match was over. But what do we do Smiths not in position and throws the ball to French who has probably never dropped a goal in his life and he panics. We still had one tackle left. Chance lost and so was Wembley. Poor game management on the pitch and off it.
Smith was in great position, the ball didn't come in time.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:37 pm
Mike wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:17 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:19 pm

He should have been but I suspect the KR lad getting up quick saved him
Get up quickly? He stayed down whilst not injured and protested to the touch judge until they had to stop the game. It was only at that point that there was even a chance of a penalty because the VR was going to look. A player who stays down when not injured just because he thinks a penalty should be given - and that tactic working perfectly - seems wrong to me.

IMO if the VR looks at 30-40% of tackles he'll find head contact.
From where I was sat on the touchline he made to get up far quicker than Lewis did with the shorrocks tackle but I've not seen it back so maybe being wet made my eyesight go I don't know didn't have the luxury of TV
If by getting up you mean frantically waving his arms at the touch judge and refusing to play on, then yes, he did that quickly!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
MadMaxWarrior

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

Think this game highlighted that we need a true 6 next season.
Also no idea why Peet is selecting Hill on the bench if he isn't going to bring him on especially in them conditions.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Not for the first time, I agree with EEP; French may be far from the finished article at 6, but to blame him, of all people, considering his efforts this season, seems very steep. He offers a constant threat with ball in hand. And sure, he doesn't always get it right. But I just think Cust at 6 would be worse. Dunno about Hampshire, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a few games with French on the wing (I do think we would have to sacrifice Miski, despite him being one of our brighter performers generally recently, including today). I'm more concerned about Smith; he is starting to look very one-dimensional. Trouble is, he lacks pace, and doesn't really having a running game.
Owd Mon

Post by Owd Mon »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:13 pm
Owd Mon wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:50 pm We play some really dumb rugby at times. Farrell as captain should be controlling the team and tactics on the pitch. He should be barking orders to the team and laying the law down to them stting out what they should do in the next set etc. He seems to escape criticism for his captaincy, or I should say lack of captaincy and tactical naivety.
The organising is the job of the playmakers, not the captain. Why would you want a back row forward dictating what the spine is doing? If that was his strength he'd be playing there instead.
So the captain has no function at all other than deciding which way to play if he wins the toss? Andy Farrell would have been laying down the law telling players off and encouraging others ?
MadMaxWarrior

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:16 pm Not for the first time, I agree with EEP; French may be far from the finished article at 6, but to blame him, of all people, considering his efforts this season, seems very steep. He offers a constant threat with ball in hand. And sure, he doesn't always get it right. But I just think Cust at 6 would be worse. Dunno about Hampshire, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a few games with French on the wing (I do think we would have to sacrifice Miski, despite him being one of our brighter performers generally recently, including today). I'm more concerned about Smith; he is starting to look very one-dimensional. Trouble is, he lacks pace, and doesn't really having a running game.
I'm not blaming him one bit for today. Faultless in defence and assisted Fields try. We've all seen what he can do at full back and on the wing he's just not a 6.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Assisted Field's try, made that brilliant kick to trap Lewis in the in-goal, made the run where he was fouled to get us the penalty... he sure wasn't the reason we lost.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I’ve just watched the match back and if that is a sending off then rugby league is finished.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

I suspect a few eye openers today for what’s to come. Not much will change next season with a lightweight pack unfortunately. Imagine saying at the start of the season we’d win nothing and more than likely make no finals. That’s not good enough for the “best team we’ve had in nearly 10 years” -IL