Where's Cust?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Where's Cust?

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jasonnlouise wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:48 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:33 pm Golden point game with 12 men for 40

If we win Matt P is a hero .
Lose “why aren’t we playing Cust”

You lot are like redvee on steroids. Deliberately thick
Just asking the question I've been asking for weeks I don't think in close games French works at 6 and I'm wondering why Cust isn't playing may be a genuine reason ie still carrying a knock attitude etc
Because he is not good enough.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The question debate about who is best playing six has been going on a while now before todays game and you’d have to thick not to know that.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:47 pm
jasonnlouise wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:48 pm

Just asking the question I've been asking for weeks I don't think in close games French works at 6 and I'm wondering why Cust isn't playing may be a genuine reason ie still carrying a knock attitude etc
Because he is not good enough.
He was last season.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

But has shown no evidence that he is now.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:58 pm But has shown no evidence that he is now.
He’s not been playing so not sure how he can. When he has played been played at 9 even. But that’s not really the point. We have two 6’s in Cust and Hampshire who don’t play because, in my opinion, Peet can’t see beyond French at six and Miski on the wing.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

One permutation which hasn't been tried is French at fullback and Field on the wing.

But the more important point is the lack of a proper halfback partner has exposed Harry Smith's weaknesses. He's become a one trick pony with his high kicks - which he does well but too predictable. In today's conditions he should have put the ball on the ground more. He's been a bit mollycoddled with the other halfbacks being blamed for putting too much on his shoulders; but he's not a rookie any more, and he needs to develop more variation in his game.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

i have to agree. People keep saying, he's just learning his trade; Sam Walker was bossing the Sydney Roosters when he was a teenager! Of course, Harry is no Sam Walker, but the point is, he's not a kid any more. He has plenty of games under his belt.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Smith has to learn to change his game to suit the weather and pitch condition. A few more low skidding kicks to try an induce a knock on would not have gone amiss yesterday. This generic I'm going kick it as high as the moon tactic is so predictable. He needs to mix it up more .

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

The Yonner wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:50 am One permutation which hasn't been tried is French at fullback and Field on the wing.

But the more important point is the lack of a proper halfback partner has exposed Harry Smith's weaknesses. He's become a one trick pony with his high kicks - which he does well but too predictable. In today's conditions he should have put the ball on the ground more. He's been a bit mollycoddled with the other halfbacks being blamed for putting too much on his shoulders; but he's not a rookie any more, and he needs to develop more variation in his game.
Does he really?

Pretty sure he only forced one error from them yesterday. The rest were caught on the full almost every single time.

I honestly do not think Smiths kicking is all that.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Now Harry Smiths no good :lol: