Where's Cust?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Where's Cust?

Post by nathan_rugby »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:49 am Now Harry Smiths no good :lol:
Not really no in my opinion. He looks the same player that he always has been.

Granted he will be impacted by ever changing halfback partners and maybe the clubs decision to sign another young half (Cust) was a strange one, but he just isn’t doing it for me.

What is he really good at? What value does he add to the team?

Too much catch and pass, basic balls on the inside, never taking it to the line, kicking for the sake of it, kicks caught on the full all the time, no game management.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Smith has gone backwards this season that's for sure but he's not a kid anymore he should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and he's simply not doing that or more worryingly unable to do that.

On the training evening last winter Cust was wrapped up like a mummy thought he must have been under the knife but it seems not so you have to ask is he injured at the moment because something is clearly wrong with him.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Cust isn't playing because his performances at 6 weren't good enough. He got a chance to keep himself in the team by playing 9 but his performances weren't good enough in that position either. If he gets a chance in the next few weeks he needs to take it.

Field isn't playing 6 because Matt Peet ditched it after one bad performance. Maybe Field isn't good enough there and it was inevitable that he'd be moved but I think it was a hasty decision given up until that game it had been working quite well.

French is playing 6 because he managed to shore up the right side of defence and because he's our most creative player he can still get his hands on the ball. Since moving to stand off he averages an assist a game and a try every other game which is comparable with SL's best halfback (Lachlan Lam). If we were to move French from 6 it only makes sense to play him at fullback because he's by far our most creative player and needs to be in a position where he can create.

Field at fullback isn't creating much, he's scoring tries from broken play or through his footwork, or finishing off moves that are started by Bevan French. If French isn't creating those opportunities then who will? Early season form suggests it isn't going to be Cust. The last half a decade suggests it isn't going to be Hampshire, but admittedly he doesn't seem to have been given many opportunities.

If we moved French back to wing we'd lose the yardage from Miski which is pretty important if you don't have an effective pack and at the moment we don't seem to have an effective pack. It's capable at times. It's decent with Havard and Ellis both in the side, but it's not a game changer.

If our pack performs well and we can find a stand off who can create as much as French can then we could easily get away with French on the wing, he'd be the best winger in Super League and score tries no other winger could, but at the moment I don't see how we improve the team by taking French out of a playmaking position.

If Cust or Hampshire get a chance at 6 and do well then for me French has to go to fullback, as he's our best player and that's his best position.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

pedro wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:42 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:40 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:26 pm It’s down the coach who seemingly can’t make the decision to drop Miski and put French on the wing which is what would happen if Cust came back into the side.

Now that particular topic has been done to death about how effective a winger French is or whatever but that’s not what the focus should be on.

It should be on the fact with Fench at 6 it’s not working so something needs to change (and that is the obvious change to make) and to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is not good coaching.

The fact Peet won’t even try it shows a stubbornness that isn’t a good characteristic of a coach.

Maybe it’s already been decided Cust is leaving at the end of the season and if he did play him and it worked that wouldn’t look like a very good decision.
Miski was excellent today and did exactly what you need from a modern winger in bad conditions - made countless meters and took to load off the forwards

I get when the sun is shining on a dry track bevan would be an upper choice today miski was one of our better players
not hard when they kicked to him all day, he offers very little else
you must have watched a different game to the rest of us. even in commentary they said they were kicking to Marshall and Field as a tactic
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:44 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:40 pm
DaveO wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:26 pm It’s down the coach who seemingly can’t make the decision to drop Miski and put French on the wing which is what would happen if Cust came back into the side.

Now that particular topic has been done to death about how effective a winger French is or whatever but that’s not what the focus should be on.

It should be on the fact with Fench at 6 it’s not working so something needs to change (and that is the obvious change to make) and to keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome is not good coaching.

The fact Peet won’t even try it shows a stubbornness that isn’t a good characteristic of a coach.

Maybe it’s already been decided Cust is leaving at the end of the season and if he did play him and it worked that wouldn’t look like a very good decision.
Miski was excellent today and did exactly what you need from a modern winger in bad conditions - made countless meters and took to load off the forwards

I get when the sun is shining on a dry track bevan would be an upper choice today miski was one of our better players
It’s nothing to do with the merits of Miski. It’s what is better overall for the team and you seemingly think having Miski on the wing is more important than an effective six. It’s not and we know it’s not because we have the proof from last season before Cust’s injury where we looked far better and Miski was nowhere to be seen. He is just not the importent player you keep making him out to be.
No im not saying that but your argument puts French on the wing a luxury which would cost a lot on the cap so where is the decent 6 going to be funded from?! my point is if bevan isnt a 6 then get shut and get a 6 keep Miski on the wing

The point is with all of this a top 6 will cost money our money is likely wrapped up in French and Field - really one of them needs to give way to improve at 6 - miski and cust i doubt free up that much
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Didn't take long for Hull KR to find a half-back who wins games for them!
Flash

Post by Flash »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:12 am Smith has gone backwards this season that's for sure but he's not a kid anymore he should be taking games by the scruff of the neck and he's simply not doing that or more worryingly unable to do that.

On the training evening last winter Cust was wrapped up like a mummy thought he must have been under the knife but it seems not so you have to ask is he injured at the moment because something is clearly wrong with him.
You talk some sense at times Nathan, but this is pure garbage. Harry has game management in droves. He's showed it numerous times, not least in the Leigh/Saints/Wire run where he completely bossed the games, winning a MOM in the process. His high kicks are amongst the best in the comp, although I agree he could have mixed it up a bit yesterday given the conditions. That said all the grubbers along the deck from BOTH teams and ALL players who tried them were uncontrollable so maybe it was a deliberate tactic not to.

Smith was everywhere in defense yesterday and made at least 2 try savers. He also made all his kicks, including one out wide, in atrocious conditions. He was effectively playing as our sole half (again) and behind a gassed pack, minus a player, who couldn't get out of our own 20 for most of that 2nd half.

There's nothing wrong with Smith. He just needs a consistent half back partner and he'll do his job, which is to control games. How do I know? Because he's done it regularly before, both for Wigan and England.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I’m not the biggest of Smiths fans either but I don’t think it helps when he’s playing for 3 different half backs.

I’ll say one thing, when he dummied that kick and slid through the defence against wire which lead (for me) one of our best tries of the season when kicking 5/5, he will do for now!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

It's not rocket science, the solution is Miski to 2nd row, French to wing, Cust or Hampshire to 6, The end
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:59 pm It's not rocket science, the solution is Miski to 2nd row, French to wing, Cust or Hampshire to 6, The end
French to loose surely?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐