HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Ipinwigan

Re: HullKR v Wigan CC match thread

Post by Ipinwigan »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:24 am
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:13 am
Ipinwigan wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:13 am

I totally agree, the lunatics have taken over the asylum.
I have been saying for a couple of seasons that we are going to be playing tick rugby in 5 years
No they haven't the past players are suing the game and all they're trying to do is put the house in order,the whiplash alone was a red.
A whiplash effect from a legal tackle isn't a red, only whiplash from an illegal tackle is. The very fact that there's a whiplash mechanism is proof that the tackle can't have been direct contact the head.
Lewis runs with his head tilted back, the head then snaps forward in contact and goes backwards after impact. His head can't physically snap forward if the initial contact is with the head. That's impossible. There's no reason for the head to snap forward in that manner due to anything other than an impact. It is literally physically impossible for it to be direct contact with the head, the impact must have come before and have been below the head for his head to move in that way.

It's very similar to the tackle that Ethan Havard got sin binned for against Huddersfield. There was secondary contact due to the player falling but initial contact was with the ball/chest.
Well said.
But don't forget, some people on here and in the RL hierarchy seem to think that players must have no intent to hurt the opposition, just be jolly good sports.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:54 am
Dreamteam wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:47 pm I suspect a few eye openers today for what’s to come. Not much will change next season with a lightweight pack unfortunately. Imagine saying at the start of the season we’d win nothing and more than likely make no finals. That’s not good enough for the “best team we’ve had in nearly 10 years” -IL
Our pack wasn’t dominated at all today without our two main front rowers so what on earth is your point?
Kr had sue and Hadley out didn’t they ? And today has no impact over a full season. Lads like havard get absolutely flogged and then start picking up muscle injuries repeatedly. Young smith has a massive amount of pressure on him to guide on us round the park on his own every week behind a beaten pack 9/10. If he doesn’t get a 6 and at least 1 big prop next season then he’s got no more excuses
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Bent haler strikes again. Consistency from one man at least.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:20 am Bent haler strikes again. Consistency from one man at least.
Yes indeed, screwed us over on several occasions
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Well, for what it's worth:
We didn't play that well and most of the things that haven't looked right continued to do so.
French creates nothing from the halves
Field is better at full-back
Byrne was limp and KPP did a better job at prop
Mago is still a liability
and so on and so on.
However, you just can't legislate for as incompetent a reffing display as seen for a very long time. Those who were glad we didn't get Kendall may want to rethink that now.
Moore was not even going to give a penalty against Shorrocks until the horrible Lewis made him stop the game by his histrionics and overacting. He had done much the same for the whole match - check out his diving after legitimate tackles to try and get penalties.
But it all hinged on that wholly incorrect decision over the charge down. The defending player runs forwards towards the ball and it hits his leg. Had it gone into touch, it would have been a Wigan ball. You don't have to have the ball hit your arm to be termed a charge down.
I hope Moore gets the Cup Final and then everyone can see how useless he is, not that it will make any difference.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

just watching the game back

1st half we dominated possession and territory, and didnt convert that into points. HKR had 1 attacking play in our half and scored. I called it at the game, that we lined up 3 v 4 on our left hand side, so no s*** sherlock, they easily walked it in untouched

we had a small spell where we gifted them some territory and possession, with King offloading on tackle 2 in our own 20m (admittedly knock on could have gone either way) and i think Mago or KPP, knocked on on teh 2nd tackle but other than that we were the better side but without converting that into points

2nd half, clearly the sending off had an impact. Having just watched it back, i still think it was harsh and IMO never a sending off

even though i think Rovers were marginally the better team in the 2nd half, i think we had more than enough to have gone on and won the game. We had a couple of good spells even with 12 men and forced some good possession on the back of strong defence. Again, we lacked the ability to score a try

overall, disappointed with the result, and with more composure, we could easily have been sat looking at a trip to Wembley

i've commented before that Parcell is a class act, and there was no difference again yesterday, as he was the one moving HKR round the park. SKD also a class act

onto my new pet peev, HKR players constantly moaning to the ref every tackle, with arms up in the air. Just get on with it, your fans were moaning non stop about offside and forrrrrarrrrrd passes
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

I was unable to post on here last night for some reason post-match so had to resort to RLFans but here is my two penn'orth on the various talking points. Apologies for any repeating:

-Great for the game to see Hull KR and Leigh in the final, a tribute to two ambitious chairmen who have invested in their team and bought into the IMG era ethos.

-Gutting to lose obviously but in those conditions and after a red card, the team showed a lot of guts and lost to a freakish hit and hope drop goal. Anyone expecting better from us in attack in that weather is living in cloud cuckoo land. We lacked composure but so did our opponents in a harum scarum semi final.
Having said that, we do miss Briers clearly, it might be an idea to let an experienced coach with fresh ideas into the management team

-Bevan French at 6 is a stopgap that needs to stop, maybe find a way to recover Rocky or Cust from Siberia

-It was a red card in the current climate but in mitigation he hit a small man who was going to ground in the chin and I thought that would be a yellow. The impact of Miski's was worse and may mean he falls foul of the Disciplinary but to be fair, the Hull player was bounced into him by the impact from French. The charge down decision was the worst of Moore's errors but there were some other absolutely baffling calls.

-Someone needs to reiterate to Nobby that it is "Jay" not "Jye" although I was amused by the schoolboy giggling in the commentary box when he shouted "We have a semi on our hands" Fnar.

-On the positive side, since the league and cup double is almost impossible these days, we can really put all our eggs in the play off basket. Our next two games are against the two Wembley finalists who will likely be distracted or depleted. Let's get on a roll, Cats are the best team but anyone can beat anyone in a one off game and if we get some momentum..you never know

-Another positive, I am working on Challenge Cup final day for the second year running, so at least now I won't have to strangle my boss. (Well, not for that anyway)
bertina

Post by bertina »

ian.birchall wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:14 am Until reading the comments and caught up in watching the match I hadn't realised that Hill hadn't got onto the pitch when we were running out if gas in the second half. Not the first time we have done that this season. You should start a match with 13/17 fit players because generally you won't finish with everyone able to give 100%.
Two big mistakes by the coaching team, just like in the play off last season against Leeds.
Inexcusable from Peet in my opinion. Our forwards were blowing out of their a**es in that last 15 minutes, and he's got a fresh prop on the bench doing nothing. WHY !!!
And while I'm on about Peet, I'm sick of reading the same drivel every time we lose. " It hurts, I'm proud of them all, can't fault the effort, we knew they were a good team.
What about: I messed up , too many offloads (again), terrible last tackle options, etc etc.
I'm beginning to lose patience with him. A blind man can see French at 6 isn't working, but he refuses to change it. We signed Hampshire, what for ??. The lack of creativeity is killing us. It's a moment of individual flair by Field or French, or one out rugby set after set. It's dire to watch, but more importantly easy to defend.
With all the contacts we have, surely we can find a decent stand off somewhere. God knows it won't be hard to improve on what we have at the moment.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Flash wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:44 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:34 pm Red cards do not determine the outcome of games!!!!!! Ffs!!!!

If a red card was the limiting factor of a result we wouldn’t be in the f****in semi in the first place!

Stop making excuses for the team being shit and unable to control a game they had already won!!!
So tell me my friend, if that's the case, what percentage of teams playing a full half or more whilst a man down go on to win the match? If what you're saying is true, it would be at least 50%. I think you'll find it's closer to single figures than 50%.
Shall i tell you from this season?

In this season there have been 8 Red Cards i can find before this game

In those game which a red card was shown only 3 of those games were lost - and 2 of those 3 games the red came in the final minutes and the other was a wakefield vs wire game when wire were red hot and wakefield couldnt score a point

you know what happened in all the rest???? the red carded team won!

3 of these were in the first half that its noted - i dont have the detail of the others

1 of them was against us leeds went a man down in the first half trailing 14-8 won the game 40-18

so there you go a 62% success rate this season for teams that receive a red card

so i reiterate RED CARDS DONT DECIDE MATCHS!!
Last edited by Wigan_forever1985 on Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

It's clear to anyone with half a brain that Peet took on the coaching job too soon in his career.

He needed at least another 2 or 3 seasons under someone's wing, preferably a top notch Aussie coach who can bring in modern methods.

IL did what he has done for a long time and brought in people "on the cheap". Sorry if that offends those who think our nearest star shines out of a certain orifice of the current Chairman, but those are the facts.

If we are to get progress at the club then Danson needs to be ruthless. Bring in an Aussie coach (as yes they are streets ahead of us- they have to be), pay him well and get rid of the Jobs for the Boys culture at Wigan. Time for the "Old Guard", and anyone connected to them to move on.

It simply isn't working.