Where's Cust?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Pbickerstaff

Re: Where's Cust?

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Cust came from Australia as one of the best prospects at the time.
If his form has dropped its down to this years shite training
Last year he was v good with briers
He is a stand off and should play there
French is a winger and should play there
King is doing jack shit, so move miski to centre with French on the wing
Cust has to play
Change it round cos it’s getting boring
One pass and run
As for Farrell , he’s is having a terrific season
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Kicking on the third within golden point time 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:08 pm French is our best option in the halves.
Then we are doomed.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Just as a little extra to the Smith debate, I had cause to rewatch the Good Friday game this evening. Anyone saying he isn't good enough please watch that (or the Leigh game) and use your own yardsticks to judge whether he is good enough or not. On every available metric he was outstanding and the number of times the commentary team said variations of "Harry Smith is controlling this game" must run into double figures. He also won MOM.

As I said in an earlier post, give him the right support from within the rest of the team rather than chopping and changing his half back partner, having a decimated pack most of the season etc, and he's more than capable of taking us to trophies.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Flash wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:12 am Just as a little extra to the Smith debate, I had cause to rewatch the Good Friday game this evening. Anyone saying he isn't good enough please watch that (or the Leigh game) and use your own yardsticks to judge whether he is good enough or not. On every available metric he was outstanding and the number of times the commentary team said variations of "Harry Smith is controlling this game" must run into double figures. He also won MOM.

As I said in an earlier post, give him the right support from within the rest of the team rather than chopping and changing his half back partner, having a decimated pack most of the season etc, and he's more than capable of taking us to trophies.
I fully agree.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:38 pm Kicking on the third within golden point time 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Where did that decision come from? Harry or the coaching staff? I know where my money is going and its not on a junior half back. Not the only poor decision by the coaching staff on the day (and before). Can we upgrade Peet to Peeters please? Tongue in cheek as I think Peet will be a great coach in time.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:01 am
Pbickerstaff wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:38 pm Kicking on the third within golden point time 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Where did that decision come from? Harry or the coaching staff? I know where my money is going and its not on a junior half back. Not the only poor decision by the coaching staff on the day (and before). Can we upgrade Peet to Peeters please? Tongue in cheek as I think Peet will be a great coach in time.
You think the coaching staff told him in advance to kick on the 3rd?

Just say KR did a short kick off or we made a lot more yards in the first few drives.

Coaching staff will set the strategy and tactics but it cannot be that specific - there are too many factors and variables.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:56 am
widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:01 am
You think the coaching staff told him in advance to kick on the 3rd?

Just say KR did a short kick off or we made a lot more yards in the first few drives.

Coaching staff will set the strategy and tactics but it cannot be that specific - there are too many factors and variables.
i said at the game it was a poor decision to kick on the 3rd and after watching it back it looked pre-planned as Smith was positioned to take the ball and kick. So someone must have thought it was a good idea, whether that be the coaching staff or one of the players

i'm guessing a little here, but receiving the ball 1st in extra time, is possibly a disadvantage as you are most likely to be bringing the ball off your own line from the kick off. A good defensive set, and you may have gotten near the 1/2 way line and putting in a kick to try and turn the opposition round on their own line at best. For me, kicking on the 3rd, but more importantly allowing Lewis to catch it on the full and make it to the 40m line was such a shocking play, and automatically HKR were in pole position, and the rest as we know is history
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

If he’s not playing first team he should have played in the reserves to keep fit same for Hampshire
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

the pieman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:36 am i'm guessing a little here, but receiving the ball 1st in extra time, is possibly a disadvantage as you are most likely to be bringing the ball off your own line from the kick off. A good defensive set, and you may have gotten near the 1/2 way line and putting in a kick to try and turn the opposition round on their own line at best. For me, kicking on the 3rd, but more importantly allowing Lewis to catch it on the full and make it to the 40m line was such a shocking play, and automatically HKR were in pole position, and the rest as we know is history
I'd like to see the stats (if there are any kept) for how often the side that receives the ball first in a golden point game wins.

You can't score without the ball so I always thought if you receive the ball first you are quite likely to get a scoring chance with a drop goal effort even if it is long range.

I don't suppose there have been enough golden points games to get a meaningful result statistically anyway.