Richard Silverwood claims Sione Mata’utia incident was worse than Joe Shorrocks red card

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Richard Silverwood claims Sione Mata’utia incident was worse than Joe Shorrocks red card

Post by josie andrews »

Hull KR and Leigh Leopards are headed to Wembley after they defeated Wigan Warriors and St Helens at the homes of Leeds Rhinos and Warrington Wolves in two all time great Challenge Cup semi-finals setting up a mouth watering final.

It will be the first final since 1986 without Leeds, Wigan, Warrington or St Helens contesting for the oldest trophy in rugby league.

That last final was contested between Hull KR and Castleford.

The two clubs are now chasing a first Challenge Cup Final win since 1971 in the shape of Leigh and 1980 for Hull KR and both are chasing their first major trophy since the 1980s.

There is a lot of similarities between the two clubs and that bled into the semi-finals themselves.

They were both defined by the favourites going down to 12 men.

St Helens were reduced to 12 men for 10 minutes with 20 minutes to go at the Halliwell Jones Stadium when Sione Mata’utia was sin binned for a late hit on Ben Reynolds with Chris Kendall stated that it was “late and with a lot of force.”

This gave Reynolds the chance to nail a decisive penalty that eventually won the game.

As for Wigan, Joe Shorrocks was sent off for making contact with the head of Mikey Lewis and this saw the Warriors surrender control of the game.

These decisions have caused widespread discussion.

Many feel that Shorrocks’ sending off was harsh whilst some have suggested that Mata’utia’s punishment wasn’t strong enough.

There was an argument to be made that Mata’utia deserved to be sent off under the contact with the head rule.

That is the opinion of Richard Silverwood.

He said on social media:

“That’s more a send off than Shorrocks.”

It will be interesting to see what the match review panel makes of both incidents and which is punished more severely.

Either way there is no escaping the fact that these incident were defining moments in crucial games.

That being said, Leigh and Hull KR both felt like deserving winners in the end and they will make a great final match up come August 12th when they meet at Wembley.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/richard- ... ard-78993/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Richard Silverwood claims Sione Mata’utia incident was worse than Joe Shorrocks red card

Post by josie andrews »

I know we now know the disciplinary decisions.

But how come John Asiata gets cited three times for dangerous contact & doesn’t get punished??

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/do ... 202023.pdf
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Richard Silverwood claims Sione Mata’utia incident was worse than Joe Shorrocks red card

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:42 pm I know we now know the disciplinary decisions.

But how come John Asiata gets cited three times for dangerous contact & doesn’t get punished??

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads/do ... 202023.pdf
strangest tackling technique i have ever seen

i get as a kid you used to be taught to go low and round the legs, but he was just diving head first at the knee / lower leg, and certainly caused 1 injury to Paasi, and poss Walmsley (but would need to watch game back again). If he's gotten off cos he wasnt the 3rd man in, then thats poor form from the disciplinary again
doc

Post by doc »

When a player is held up in the tackle it puts more pressure on the joint when some one comes in low as the tackled player can't fall over. In a one on one it there is less pressure on the joint as the tackled player invariably falls over stopping undue pressure being exerted on the joint.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Given these tackles though, I do think the refs need to call held earlier and stop the third man in. Call held and then penalise them for taking him to ground.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

doc wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:19 am When a player is held up in the tackle it puts more pressure on the joint when some one comes in low as the tackled player can't fall over. In a one on one it there is less pressure on the joint as the tackled player invariably falls over stopping undue pressure being exerted on the joint.
yep, i understand the logic with the multiple players in the tackle

the ones from Asiata at weekend just looked very haphazard or at worst not fearing his own safety, and i am pretty sure he caused Paasi injury as it could be considered reckless with how / where he hit, even though Paasi went down
craigo

Post by craigo »

No use now. We are out. Decision was ridiculous.
The lad, Asiata. Keep hearing how good he is. Yet every time I have seen him he plays like a thug. But why not ?. Most of the incidents have gone unpunished.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.