Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Post by josie andrews »

The Saints are have suffered two-season ending injuries.

Paul Wellens says the Rugby Football League has failed its players after not taking action on Leigh Leopards forward John Asiata after he injured four St Helens players in the Challenge Cup semi-final.

Agnatius Paasi is set for nine months on the sidelines after an incident involving the Leopards captain while Alex Walmsley's season has also been finished after a similar tackle. Both Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Morgan Knowles have suffered short-term injuries too.

In an explosive press conference, Wellens made a number of strong comments. Among the 15-minute address he:

* Accused the RFL of failing in its duty to protect players

* Asked why the Match Review Panel underwent a different procedure to the one Morgan Knowles was subject to after Mike Cooper's injury

* Stated John Asiata's tackle technique was reckless and dangerous

* Claimed Alex Walmsley is "second guessing" whether he wants to play rugby league

Wellens gave an initial statement, which you can watch below, before going into further detail on his thoughts.

"In Agnatius and Alex we have two extremely disappointed, angry, upset players that they've been left in this position and the game hasn't protected them," he said.

"It's a long road ahead, especially for Agnatius. Alex is twelve weeks, which doesn't sound a lot when you compare it to Agnatius, but at the same time Alex Walmsley, at this moment in time, is second guessing whether rugby league is the sport for him. I can understand why.

"We come down now so hard on players with head injuries and we've lost another guy, we accept that charge. But I was a player who played a long time, I'd much rather be clipped around the head than someone dive at me knee and blow it to bits. Are we taking more things serious than others?

"I've spoken to numerous people involved in the game over the last 24 hours since that game and not one of them have said that's a fair tackling technique. Quite frankly, it's horrific. Leigh play Wigan at the weekend and if I'm say there as Matty Peet, I'm wondering what the heck lies in store for my players at the weekend because basically, as a game, we've told him he can do that. How we can sit here comfortable with that, with whatever position you are in rugby league, I'll never know."

He added: "What we've effectively done by not charging him is tell thousands of people up and down the country playing rugby league at the weekend that that tackle technique is OK. That's what the governing body has done. I'm sure they know that's not OK but they had an opportunity to make a strong decision and took a weak one. In doing so, have potentially put thousands of players at risk.

"I would implore everyone, at all levels to not teach or allow your players to tackle in that many because the outcomes can be quite severe. I reckon there are a lot of people in the game that won't. But if there's one person who thinks that's a good idea off the back of that, that's on the RFL's head."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... g-27393044
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:59 pm The Saints are have suffered two-season ending injuries.

Paul Wellens says the Rugby Football League has failed its players after not taking action on Leigh Leopards forward John Asiata after he injured four St Helens players in the Challenge Cup semi-final.

Agnatius Paasi is set for nine months on the sidelines after an incident involving the Leopards captain while Alex Walmsley's season has also been finished after a similar tackle. Both Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook and Morgan Knowles have suffered short-term injuries too.

In an explosive press conference, Wellens made a number of strong comments. Among the 15-minute address he:

* Accused the RFL of failing in its duty to protect players

* Asked why the Match Review Panel underwent a different procedure to the one Morgan Knowles was subject to after Mike Cooper's injury

* Stated John Asiata's tackle technique was reckless and dangerous

* Claimed Alex Walmsley is "second guessing" whether he wants to play rugby league

Wellens gave an initial statement, which you can watch below, before going into further detail on his thoughts.

"In Agnatius and Alex we have two extremely disappointed, angry, upset players that they've been left in this position and the game hasn't protected them," he said.

"It's a long road ahead, especially for Agnatius. Alex is twelve weeks, which doesn't sound a lot when you compare it to Agnatius, but at the same time Alex Walmsley, at this moment in time, is second guessing whether rugby league is the sport for him. I can understand why.

"We come down now so hard on players with head injuries and we've lost another guy, we accept that charge. But I was a player who played a long time, I'd much rather be clipped around the head than someone dive at me knee and blow it to bits. Are we taking more things serious than others?

"I've spoken to numerous people involved in the game over the last 24 hours since that game and not one of them have said that's a fair tackling technique. Quite frankly, it's horrific. Leigh play Wigan at the weekend and if I'm say there as Matty Peet, I'm wondering what the heck lies in store for my players at the weekend because basically, as a game, we've told him he can do that. How we can sit here comfortable with that, with whatever position you are in rugby league, I'll never know."

He added: "What we've effectively done by not charging him is tell thousands of people up and down the country playing rugby league at the weekend that that tackle technique is OK. That's what the governing body has done. I'm sure they know that's not OK but they had an opportunity to make a strong decision and took a weak one. In doing so, have potentially put thousands of players at risk.

"I would implore everyone, at all levels to not teach or allow your players to tackle in that many because the outcomes can be quite severe. I reckon there are a lot of people in the game that won't. But if there's one person who thinks that's a good idea off the back of that, that's on the RFL's head."

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... g-27393044
thing is i dont disagree with him but it does beg the question what do the RFLdo if they are trying to get you to tackle lower then say no thats too low we are going to end up with a situation in which you can only tackle from waist to under the armpit and it is just ungovernable

the leg tackles are worse imo then the head tackles much more likelyto cause serious career ending injury
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Re: Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Post by josie andrews »

Tick rugby!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Just goes to show how much saints fans have ridiculous hate and bias towards wigan.Ive seen this all over social media and hardly any fans have slated asiata.Could you imagine if a Wigan player had done this?It would be a hanging offence.Leigh and KR fans are as bad.I have good KR friends and they are brought up to just boo refs from the off
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Trouble is I suppose while leg and knee injuries do cause instant retirement no one knows long term about head injury causing dementia and with the threat of a court case looming the sport is rightly clamping down on anything head related,I was amazed that Miski didn't cop a ban the other day not malicious at all but on the head but as ever inconsistent with the application of the rules.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:48 pm Trouble is I suppose while leg and knee injuries do cause instant retirement no one knows long term about head injury causing dementia and with the threat of a court case looming the sport is rightly clamping down on anything head related,I was amazed that Miski didn't cop a ban the other day not malicious at all but on the head but as ever inconsistent with the application of the rules.
It was worse than shorrocks but none that bad.No way should shorrocks have got banned.Gonna be interesting to see who, if any, win there appeals
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Lazy J

Post by Lazy J »

I actually agree with him (I feel dirty for admitting it) but the first one on walmsley wasn’t even a tackle, he just threw himself at his legs to trip him up, the passi one was very nearly a cannonball, but in both cases the tackler was not in control of the tackle.
There are 10 types of people, those who get binary and those who dont!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:53 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:48 pm Trouble is I suppose while leg and knee injuries do cause instant retirement no one knows long term about head injury causing dementia and with the threat of a court case looming the sport is rightly clamping down on anything head related,I was amazed that Miski didn't cop a ban the other day not malicious at all but on the head but as ever inconsistent with the application of the rules.
It was worse than shorrocks but none that bad.No way should shorrocks have got banned.Gonna be interesting to see who, if any, win there appeals
Think Miski got away with it because the opposition player was spun into him rather than shorrocks who initiated the tackle himself
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:53 pm
Whiplash that's what I think the ban was for it happened pretty much in front of us and for all Lewis made a meal of getting up his head did fly back on contact as soon as I saw it I felt shorrocks was in trouble