Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

I agree in relation to the cannonball tackle, but I have no sympathy for them.

It was a different story from Wellens when his players perform the same tackle.

Paasi or Matautia in the World Club Challenge and then Knowles on Cooper on Good Friday. Both resulted in season long injuries and no complaints from the commentary teams and noted as good tackles by the Saints coach.
bertina

Re: Paul Wellens accuses RFL of failing to protect players as St Helens suffer four injuries involving same player

Post by bertina »

I agree with some of the sentiments re knee tackles, especially the “hip drop” technique. But, you didn’t hear Wellens moaning too much when Knowles did Mike Cooper. And Cooper wasn’t his first victim either .
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think the issue here is the guidelines for determining foul play for tackles that are low relate to a players standing leg when held in a tackle. These guidelines were introduced as a result of tackles that were previously deemed legal being reviewed and deemed dangerous.

When a player is moving the guidelines aren't the same, and it's very hard to punish a player for tackling below the knee when a player is moving because that's exactly how you teach players to halt a moving player. A last ditch tackle around the ankles is perfectly fine and most of the time doesn't result in an injury.

This might be a situation where the guidelines can be reviewed and opinions sought on whether they need further laws implemented to protect players from low tackles, but what the disciplinary can't do is decide to change their own guidelines specifically to punish Asiata for these tackles. It would be like travelling at 40 mph down a 40 mph road and being fined for speeding because they decided actually that's a bit fast for that particular road and they want to set the limit at 30.

Wellens is too emotionally invested to view this impartially. The disciplinary haven't used a different procedure to the one when Morgan Knowles was suspended. They viewed medical evidence in relation to the tackle on Cooper because it was deemed to be foul play and injury is an aggravating factor when there's foul play. Injury is not a factor in deciding whether a tackle is foul play or not. There's no reason for the disciplinary committee to view medical records if they've already decided the tackle doesn't merit suspension.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:53 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:48 pm Trouble is I suppose while leg and knee injuries do cause instant retirement no one knows long term about head injury causing dementia and with the threat of a court case looming the sport is rightly clamping down on anything head related,I was amazed that Miski didn't cop a ban the other day not malicious at all but on the head but as ever inconsistent with the application of the rules.
It was worse than shorrocks but none that bad.No way should shorrocks have got banned.Gonna be interesting to see who, if any, win there appeals
They aren’t appealing it!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wellens has a point but is abit of a hypocrite at the same time. His players have got away with murder!!!
Typical saints fan/players boss whoever don’t like it when there getting the same treatment they dish out
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

Why would they not a appeal a tackle that was clearly not high? unless it is thought that the ban would simply be increased arbitrarily
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:57 pm
Firestarter wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:53 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:48 pm Trouble is I suppose while leg and knee injuries do cause instant retirement no one knows long term about head injury causing dementia and with the threat of a court case looming the sport is rightly clamping down on anything head related,I was amazed that Miski didn't cop a ban the other day not malicious at all but on the head but as ever inconsistent with the application of the rules.
It was worse than shorrocks but none that bad.No way should shorrocks have got banned.Gonna be interesting to see who, if any, win there appeals
They aren’t appealing it!
Very strange after what matty said post game
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Crazy not to appeal it!

I get the whole head high cleaning up in our game, but sometimes it feels like there is no room for human error or ref/player judgement. Shorrocks just came on, nowt malicious, pumped up, short player ducking… yellow maybe but red?!? Really?!?

I still can’t see it and all those letter of the law blurters are feeding this rubbish and helping ruining our game. We dissect every aspect, Collison, ref decision to the nth degree and have a pop at everything that no one can apply common sense anymore as there is constant angle for complaint.

We should contest it - the game was effectively ruined as a competitive match on the back of that call.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Three players have been banned in the shape of Sione Mata’utia, Edwin Ipape and Joe Shorrocks.

Now the three clubs have made their decisions on whether or not they want to appeal these suspensions and all three have elected to accept these suspensions.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/st-helen ... ans-79039/
Doesn’t make any difference now, we’ve lost & are out of the Challenge Cup!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

not even a penalty really, this has probably been the most glaring example this season (from my observation at least) and yet there are so many ignored high tackles which are clear direct contact with the head.

Did anybody take over from Ganson when he was stood down ?(albeit he shouldn't have been appointed that position anyway.