Byrne

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Stanfax

Re: Byrne

Post by Stanfax »

Wane's attempts to gee him up in comments he made preseason, would appear to support that viewpoint.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

If this player does not up his game he will end up surplus to requirements and moved on
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:51 am If this player does not up his game he will end up surplus to requirements and moved on
Have you got knowledge that he is under pressure to perform?

If not, you could say the above comment about anyone under performing.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

My knowledge is based on being involved in this game for over 50 years are you saying that he is performing well because if you are it proves you know nothing about rugby
bertina

Post by bertina »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:40 pm I think Singo will be in for him on Saturday.Peet usually drops underperforming players tbf
If Salford want a replacement before they will let Tyler Dupree leave, give them either Singleton or Byrne if it gets the deal done.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

bertina wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:30 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:40 pm I think Singo will be in for him on Saturday.Peet usually drops underperforming players tbf
If Salford want a replacement before they will let Tyler Dupree leave, give them either Singleton or Byrne if it gets the deal done.
I did post that before the dupree announcement/rumour
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:01 pm
Suzieb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:51 am If this player does not up his game he will end up surplus to requirements and moved on
Have you got knowledge that he is under pressure to perform?

If not, you could say the above comment about anyone under performing.
Lets be fair he definitely needs to pull his socks up.Looks uniterested atm for whatever reason
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
bertina

Post by bertina »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:41 pm Always said he’s overrated, just a big lump.
I just think some fans want the homegrown to succeed and it masks their views of them, even when we know they’re not good enough
I agree. The size of him he should be causing the opposition problems, but doesn't punch anywhere near his weight. Easier to tackle than a good meal.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Pretty sure Wanes commented was last pre season, not sure on this one re Byrne was alo g the lines of being the player he wanted to tap into most when he was asked on the legends interview.
From what I gather still other signings on the way, so his game will need to step on. Players like Ellis, Dupree, Hill, Walters, a returning Cooper? and Chan will be challenging for places. Given that Havard and Smithies will take two places if fit and that O'neil or Leeming will take a bench spot along with the two more forwards heading our way that's stiff competition,
I'm hoping we see Jnr and Walters at second row giving us extra size and threat at some point.
Byrne is young and to be honest all our props are much better when Havard is playing that's why I would love to see another good experienced prop. That team already looks a step up on this one.
I'm happy to give Byrne time he's well capable physically of being a top player.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I'm sure Byrne will get another season to prove himself. Like most of you, I've been disappointed with his lack of progress this season but I think he deserves another season and he's probably not on a massive wage. He still looks like he hasn't 'grown into his strength' if that makes sense and would benefit from some experienced backup. Our pack for next season does look stronger and I'll be pleased if we sign Dupree. His signing though would give us a full 'quota' of props (7 or 8 depending on where we play Chan and Walters) so we won't be signing the experienced prop that I was hoping for. Hopefully we've still go space for an experienced second row signing too.