Byrne

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Byrne

Post by pearsy »

Still need a six
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:27 pm I'm sure Byrne will get another season to prove himself. Like most of you, I've been disappointed with his lack of progress this season but I think he deserves another season and he's probably not on a massive wage. He still looks like he hasn't 'grown into his strength' if that makes sense and would benefit from some experienced backup. Our pack for next season does look stronger and I'll be pleased if we sign Dupree. His signing though would give us a full 'quota' of props (7 or 8 depending on where we play Chan and Walters) so we won't be signing the experienced prop that I was hoping for. Hopefully we've still go space for an experienced second row signing too.
Put Byrne as a bench replacement to, say, Havard,Dupree or Cooper and we see a better player - up to him now. I do wonder if Byrne has gone back to the "Wane way" ie hitting the floor fast to get a quick PTB and not struggling for post tackle yards for some reason? If so its not helping him as he seems to be getting targetted by opposition defences last few games as a soft touch.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:06 pm My knowledge is based on being involved in this game for over 50 years are you saying that he is performing well because if you are it proves you know nothing about rugby
Is this Suzieb or /Suzieb’ s husband?? Because if it’s the wifey what have you been doing for over 50 years to be involved in the game?? You keep saying this but what have you been doing?

My 63 years of being ‘involved’ has been as a lowly spectator 🤭
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

cherry toffee wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:10 pm No-one is disagreeing with you Nathan, this thread is about Byrne not producing. The question is what to do about it , some want him sent on his way,others want him taking out of the team for a spell . I think he’s physically got the tools for the job he just needs the attitude of an Ollie Partington, maybe the club should consider a sports psychologist to help improve him, someone above mentioned the whole team looks flat on occasions so maybe he could talk to all the players, I’m no expert but it just seems to be a mental attitude
bin him off, its defo an attitude issue the defence
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Rubbish he’s still learning his trade and developing. He has to carry our pack as singo semi retired (now off to Salford) Mago only recently stepping up, cooper out for the season and Ellis banned for half the season leaving him, Havard and the occasional hill.

Give the lad a break - can’t believe how much crap aimed at him recently…
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Suzieb wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:06 pm My knowledge is based on being involved in this game for over 50 years are you saying that he is performing well because if you are it proves you know nothing about rugby
I couldn’t tell whether your post was opinion or had come from inside the club.

That’s why I asked.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:23 pm Rubbish he’s still learning his trade and developing. He has to carry our pack as singo semi retired (now off to Salford) Mago only recently stepping up, cooper out for the season and Ellis banned for half the season leaving him, Havard and the occasional hill.

He’s not playing well and has not for some time. And the last thing he is doing is “carrying the pack”. With the new recruits next season he won’t make the 17 if he carry’s on as he has this season. Up to him to prove he can get some form back.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

pearsy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm Still need a six
French. He's going to be as good as Henry Paul, who, BTW, was a running and not a kicking SO as well.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

DaveO wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:22 pm
Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:23 pm Rubbish he’s still learning his trade and developing. He has to carry our pack as singo semi retired (now off to Salford) Mago only recently stepping up, cooper out for the season and Ellis banned for half the season leaving him, Havard and the occasional hill.

He’s not playing well and has not for some time. And the last thing he is doing is “carrying the pack”. With the new recruits next season he won’t make the 17 if he carry’s on as he has this season. Up to him to prove he can get some form back.
And out of our pack who played well the other day? Not all but Byrne seems to get singled out more for criticism. I get it his performances haven’t been consistent to where they should be but we’re down to hardly any cover to rotate him in a struggling pack, so everyone constantly moaning isn’t doing the situation any good.

Weather is crap - let’s all moan about that for a while instead.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:57 am
pearsy wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:32 pm Still need a six
French. He's going to be as good as Henry Paul, who, BTW, was a running and not a kicking SO as well.
Oh dear
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."