Stand Off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Stand Off

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wes wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:22 am Still no one answering the question🤦🤷

I’ll try again what do people want from a stand off?
My preference is for stand off to be second receiver, more creative, more of a runner and a bit off the cuff.

I prefer a 7 to be first receiver, game manager ad organiser.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Or which Stand off would you want

Brett Kenny - smooth runner of the ball, great long pass,running threat

Trent Barrat - Tough, Powerful, breaks tackles, organiser, runs the team

Blake Green - efficient organiser

Sam Tomkins - lightining quick, evasive, off the cuff

Shaun Edwards - great support runner, tough,
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think one of the problems is whoever is at fullback you're relying on other people to get the ball to him in the right places. Whether it was Field or French we haven't always been great this year at getting the ball to the fullback in a position where they can actually cause problems. That was one of the issues with Cust. His distribution, handling and decision making were letting him down too often. Then with Shorrocks at 6 he was playing to a structure but the timing was off on occasion, so French still wasn't getting the ball in much space.

Having French and Field in the spine of the team at the same time at least means we have our most dangerous players getting their hands on the ball earlier. French has been creating opportunities at a better rate than Cust and Shorrocks did in the same role. It's harder to compare to Field at 6 but against Leigh we were good but he was occasionally erratic with his passing.

What we haven't seen is French playing at 6 with our strongest pack of forwards on the field, something Cust did have the luxury of.

I don't think French at 6 is the disaster people are making it out to be. I think it's already working better than when we had Cust at 6 early in the year. There are bigger tests to come. Teams will be studying French at 6 and adapting to what he does and he'll have to make sure he's one step ahead of them. If he can't do that we'll definitely see him struggle in the next few weeks. In my opinion he currently looks like a player adapting, not one that's struggling.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:03 am I think one of the problems is whoever is at fullback you're relying on other people to get the ball to him in the right places. Whether it was Field or French we haven't always been great this year at getting the ball to the fullback in a position where they can actually cause problems. That was one of the issues with Cust. His distribution, handling and decision making were letting him down too often. Then with Shorrocks at 6 he was playing to a structure but the timing was off on occasion, so French still wasn't getting the ball in much space.

Having French and Field in the spine of the team at the same time at least means we have our most dangerous players getting their hands on the ball earlier. French has been creating opportunities at a better rate than Cust and Shorrocks did in the same role. It's harder to compare to Field at 6 but against Leigh we were good but he was occasionally erratic with his passing.

What we haven't seen is French playing at 6 with our strongest pack of forwards on the field, something Cust did have the luxury of.

I don't think French at 6 is the disaster people are making it out to be. I think it's already working better than when we had Cust at 6 early in the year. There are bigger tests to come. Teams will be studying French at 6 and adapting to what he does and he'll have to make sure he's one step ahead of them. If he can't do that we'll definitely see him struggle in the next few weeks. In my opinion he currently looks like a player adapting, not one that's struggling.
That is my opinion too 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:15 am
WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 am The problem for me with French at 6 is that it is more of a structured role and French is more of an off the cuff type player, he thrives more on having the freedom to roam and step left and right than he does just looking for the pass or kick
This 👏🏼👏🏼

Isnt That a good thing in a stand off ? Kenny was a master of it. FWIW I think French will make a great stand off. I would stick with him. Marshall and Miski on wings are as good as any 2 in super league.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:10 pm
WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:02 am The problem for me with French at 6 is that it is more of a structured role and French is more of an off the cuff type player, he thrives more on having the freedom to roam and step left and right than he does just looking for the pass or kick
This 👏🏼👏🏼

Isnt That a good thing in a stand off ? Kenny was a master of it. FWIW I think French will make a great stand off. I would stick with him. Marshall and Miski on wings are as good as any 2 in super league.
I agree with the Marshall and Miski to stay on the wings as Miski does the hard driving out your own half that French appears to not do when he has been on the wing.

Kenny was a master of it but from what I remember Kenny didn't dance around on the spot looking for gaps he ran the right lines and angles to create things off the cuff, whereas when you watch French he appears more of a 'get them flat footed' type of attacker and his running style is not as smooth as what the likes of Kenny and others have/had at 6.

I don't think anyone is saying French at 6 is a disater and neither am I, as a stop gap it is okay, but long term I don't see him developing into a natural 6, I thought Field looked the more natural style of a 6 in the limited games he spent there, yes he had some 'disasters' as such but he just looked the more fluid and comfortable in that position, French himself admitted he conned his way into playing 6 even though he had never played there before.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:37 pm

This 👏🏼👏🏼

I agree with the Marshall and Miski to stay on the wings as Miski does the hard driving out your own half that French appears to not do when he has been on the wing.

Kenny was a master of it but from what I remember Kenny didn't dance around on the spot looking for gaps he ran the right lines and angles to create things off the cuff, whereas when you watch French he appears more of a 'get them flat footed' type of attacker and his running style is not as smooth as what the likes of Kenny and others have/had at 6.

I don't think anyone is saying French at 6 is a disater and neither am I, as a stop gap it is okay, but long term I don't see him developing into a natural 6, I thought Field looked the more natural style of a 6 in the limited games he spent there, yes he had some 'disasters' as such but he just looked the more fluid and comfortable in that position, French himself admitted he conned his way into playing 6 even though he had never played there before.

Can't argue with difference in the way Kenny played off the cuff. My point was tho. French off the cuff in the halfs has the speed and agility rarely seen.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:39 pm
WarriorWinger wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:37 pm

Can't argue with difference in the way Kenny played off the cuff. My point was tho. French off the cuff in the halfs has the speed and agility rarely seen.
French definately has the speed and agility but I just think he thrives more on not having to think too much about the set plays etc. and just concentrate on chiming in as and when he see's fit and going for it when he has a slight sniff of a gap, playing off the cuff too much may unsettle the team when a play is called and could potentially lead to players not really knowing what is going and when to run or hold their line, just my opinion on his running style.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

He has still scored 13 tries up to now so he must be doing something right
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

The Penrith Panthers stand off could be available