Stand Off

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shevvylad

Re: Stand Off

Post by Shevvylad »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:40 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:33 am We've got potentially the best six in the comp already. He's already meeting most of the requirements in this thread, his stats are good and he's still improving. What's the problem?
The problem is that I disagree with you. We should have had the best 6 in the league but he went to Wire.
I assume that this is a joke ?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I said potentially. If he's not played the role before and he's got this good, this soon, imagine where he could be next season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wes wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:49 pm What do people want from a stand off?

I know we play split halves but with Smith being an out and out 7 I think we should play tradition where he is constantly 1st receiver.

In that sense I think French could be moulded in to a traditional 6, I’d argue he’s half way there, defends well outside, picks his moments to try things, can score a try from nothing and can throw that cut out pass to create a try.

Also important to ask Smith who he wants to forge a partnership with and then to stick to it so it can improve.
we dont play split halves this year
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Shevvylad wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:03 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:40 am
Mike wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:33 am We've got potentially the best six in the comp already. He's already meeting most of the requirements in this thread, his stats are good and he's still improving. What's the problem?
The problem is that I disagree with you. We should have had the best 6 in the league but he went to Wire.
I assume that this is a joke ?
Why should it be a joke?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:15 pm I said potentially. If he's not played the role before and he's got this good, this soon, imagine where he could be next season.
I hope you are right.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Mike wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:15 pm I said potentially. If he's not played the role before and he's got this good, this soon, imagine where he could be next season.
Whilst there are some good moments, some assists, some good kicks, great defence, the areas he is lacking will not come in one year. It takes years and years of practice to become fully fluid in a position.

He had a fairly decent game today but the number of times he killed the play is glaringly obvious - that will not come by next season unfortunately.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:42 pm
Whilst there are some good moments, some assists, some good kicks, great defence, the areas he is lacking will not come in one year. It takes years and years of practice to become fully fluid in a position.

He had a fairly decent game today but the number of times he killed the play is glaringly obvious - that will not come by next season unfortunately.
Any examples of him killing the play in particular? It didn't seem that obvious to me. Some moves broke down out wide on both edges and that's the case for every team. One of the most important combinations for any half is with their back row and French had yet another new player outside him in Pearce-Paul, having played alongside Isa for the first time the previous week after a run of games with Shorrocks there (not really a second row by any stretch) and Nsemba having some time there too. It's not going to be fluid attack on that side. There were a couple of occasions where both players tried something and the other just didn't anticipate in time. That's bound to happen but for me that's the worst things got.

On balance, we're still getting far more good than bad from French. I'm not convinced it will ever be his best position long term but I'm more convinced that it's the best option for us right now.

There were also signs that Smith and French are becoming more comfortable moving across the field and creating opportunities on both edges. Miski's 2nd try came from Smith's cut out pass from left to right and French created Marshall's try on the left edge.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I recall one time he stuttered before making a decision, but he's close to the line and the defence is up so he lost the pass option and made a poor kick because he'd run out of time. With experience hell know on those situations he has to know what he's going to do before he gets he ball. There's no time to read the game once the ball arrives in those scenario IMO.

The other time play broke down was from a bad pass. Right option IMO but poorly executed. But who makes it through a game without the odd mistake?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If we're no longer playing split halves, would french be getting the ball as second receiver? Isn't that where he'd get it as a FB when we used to play split halves? In that respect the two positions are more similar than they were under split halves.

The main difference it seems to me would be that he gets the ball in a more fixed position in the line and without the speed FBs can generate coming in from the back.

Perhaps we're not playing split halves to accomodate an easier transition for French?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

But what does 'split halves' really mean? Virtually all rugby league teams, both in the SL and the NRL. play with *mostly* one half on the left and one half on the right (Melbourne might be a bit of an exception with Hughes and Munster, come to think about it). But almost inevitably, there tends to be a 'kicking, organising half' and a 'running half''. Like Moses and Brown at the Eels.