Wigan Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Squad

Post by Caboosegg »

From the lack of posts this late in a game I presume Wigan are losing?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Good win.
We looked a lot livelier in the second half and it paid off, stretched Leigh’s defence numerous times and scored some good tries.
Thought French and Smith really came together in the second half, KPP put some good runs in and the new lad Dupree looks a handful. Think Cust deserves a mention as well, some really quick passing from the PTB and he defended well
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Hopefully dupree isnt injured as that tackle didnt look good on first glance.Was it asiata?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
endoman

Post by endoman »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:59 pm Hopefully dupree isnt injured as that tackle didnt look good on first glance.Was it asiata?
Yep, hope Dupree is ok.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Crossy210 wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:49 pm Genuinely think we have to start with cust at 6 and put French back on the wing. It’s harsh on miski but we need a recognised half back pairing not just smith trying to do it all
Perhaps we didn't do that today then?
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

If that 'tackle' by Asiata was what he has been doing in recent matches, then Wellens has a point. It was not only reckless but was like a flying shoulder-charge with the only intention of stopping an opponent by any means. Needs to be looked at by the RL Disciplinary (Spoiler Alert - it won't.)
A great (eventual) demolition but French still looks lost in the halves; Field doesn't seem to be able to define his attacking role - his defence is OK; Byrne needs to have a long hard look at himself; great to see Miski get MOM - well deserved and as for Dupree..................... Cor!!!
With Walters on the way and Havard back with what seems to be a happy Ellis and Cooper to follow, the future looks good, not forgetting Hill and Nsemba.
Cust looked as if he was enjoying himself and coming back to form - smart to rest O'Neill, who again very good so, maybe we can forget that Cup defeat and press on with a bit more hope.
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Don’t know what Game you watch S.S. But I thought that was French’s best game at stand off Yet ! He looked far from lost and seemed to be having a ball .
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Cust switched off for Leigh's second (?) try. Saw a gap he should have filled and turned away. They went through it and scored.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I thought it was a decent performance overall but we were a bit sluggish for most of the first half. Some of that may be down to the fact they had their 3 most dangerous middles on for most of that time. I thought once Amone and Mulhern were off the field our pack got on top.

Up to that point French was the only player getting us to where we needed to be. His kicking game was excellent. Unfortunately we still have a tendency to overplay before we've made the opposition work. KPP was guilty of this a couple of times but other players were to blame too. We're trying to create opportunities in our own half without making the defence work so instead of taking advantage of opportunities we were just taking risks.

We were better in the second half without being outstanding. Dupree looks to be an excellent addition to the team and I think Mago deserves huge credit for his performance today. Probably his best of the season. I think it was the Dupree try that was basically created by the Mago carry causing the defence to be out of shape the play before.

Cracking performance from Miski. Please stop suggesting we play him at second row or stand off or prop or on the moon and just be happy we've got a good, hard working winger who can finish and make strong carries.

Yes, the scoreline flatters us. Leigh lost their appetite for it in the second half and some of our tries came from luck rather than from free flowing play, but this was a derby game against a Leigh side that's playing much better than they were the last time we faced them.

I do have to pick up some negatives though. 18 points conceded still isn't good enough. I keep thinking we defend really well if teams put us under sustained pressure. We can be really resilient and organised. Our weakness seems to be when teams don't have much field position against us and then a break or a penalty puts them down our end and we concede really soft tries. It's like we don't have the concentration to go from attack to defence, whereas when the team is forced to defend for a more sustained period the concentration levels are much higher.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

up the junction wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:48 pm Don’t know what Game you watch S.S. But I thought that was French’s best game at stand off Yet ! He looked far from lost and seemed to be having a ball .
He may have been having a ball but none of the other players seemed to know what he was thinking. He ran into cul-de-sacs a lot - was indecisive when passing, which meant players ran past him and moves broke down - his short kicking game is mostly excellent - his passing less so (Marshall's try was a bit of a fluke, although beautifully taken by Marshy.) I love watching French in full flow but that full flow doesn't seem to come about when he is in the halves.
I'm glad we have him but not sure we're making the most of him in the halves, that's all.