6 again

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
the pieman

Re: 6 again

Post by the pieman »

i'd have taken either yesterday

not one penalty or 6 again in the 1st half for Wigan, but Leigh got 2 or 3 of each. I dont believe for 1 minute they never committed anything for 40 minutes that was worthy of penalising them

and, yet on social media, Leigh fans were saying ref gave them nothing, apart from cancelling the Wardle try (absolutely nothing wrong with Marshall challenging winger), which they seem to forget completely
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

why is it that the refs are so poor? it is certainly the biggest negative of the sport and is seemingly getting worse rather than being addressed
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

It’s also a very easy way of balancing the penalty count! Giving ‘6 again’ on the 1st tackle seems to happen to us quite a lot compared to other teams and bizarrely the penalty count is even at the end of the game!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Raging Penguin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:40 pm why is it that the refs are so poor?
Well, who'd be a ref? :evil:
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

A person?
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

On a more helpful note, perhaps an academy can be created for referees, creating a larger pool for selection
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Raging Penguin wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:57 pm On a more helpful note, perhaps an academy can be created for referees, creating a larger pool for selection
Good idea 😊 Think they do have something as a friend of mine’s son is 17/18 & is a referee. He has done different games & I think he is going to be a good one. Luke Flavell.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:24 am
Raging Penguin wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:40 pm why is it that the refs are so poor?
I think that may well be an issue right now is the actual shortage of good refs at all. Their are only one or two in my book who I don't groan when I see their name as being our ref.

I follow many sports and referees in RL are some of the absolute worst in terms of consistency and how they manage players/teams. The RFL really need to sort this as well as several legality issues within the game as if I was a neutral, I wouldn't be turning RL on due to this.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:25 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:24 am
I think that may well be an issue right now is the actual shortage of good refs at all. Their are only one or two in my book who I don't groan when I see their name as being our ref.

I follow many sports and referees in RL are some of the absolute worst in terms of consistency and how they manage players/teams. The RFL really need to sort this as well as several legality issues within the game as if I was a neutral, I wouldn't be turning RL on due to this.
that is the biggest issue and thats in a single game, let alone how games are refereed from week to week. I dont think any ref goes out and thinks i am going to absolutely pan team x this week and give team y all the penalties, but thats often how it feels / looks at the game or on TV, and then it appears to even up late in the game.

we dont want to see a RU type game, which is stop start and littered with penalties / technical offences for 80 minutes. The best games in RL are when you dont appear to see the ref i.e. little or few penalties. The games over the last couple of weeks have been getting into that sort of territory as both CC semi finals and then Saints v Leeds / Wigan v Leigh both had good flows to them in the early stages, with teams going set for set
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

The RFL do not help themselves either because nobody is able to raise these concerns without being fined and accused of bringing the game into disrepute, which is ironic. whereas they should be open to criticism and engage with a process, rather than seeing and predicting successful ridiculous outcomes such as with what happened with Shorrocks recently (the non-high tackle, being treated as one)

Also Josie, this person that you know that is a referee, have they mentioned anything regarding a process of quality/consistency control or working atmosphere?