Wigan Squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Wigan Squad

Post by EagleEyePie »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:15 am The second half was turned when cust came off the bench
He was outstanding
O’Neil is going to suffer burn out
his performances have dropped in quality when playing 80 mins
I didn't think Cust had much impact on the game overall, we'd already ended the first half and started the second half well before he came on, but we continued the momentum we had built up and he did make some good carries when he came on which should be good for his confidence. He can be a threat when he can play direct but it's rare that our pack makes strong enough carries to allow him to do that. With the arrival of Dupree and Mago getting into some form we might get to see a bit more from him, provided he can work on his defence, as that's been his biggest drawback.
Flash

Post by Flash »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:37 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:06 pm I thought it was a decent performance overall but we were a bit sluggish for most of the first half. Some of that may be down to the fact they had their 3 most dangerous middles on for most of that time. I thought once Amone and Mulhern were off the field our pack got on top.

Up to that point French was the only player getting us to where we needed to be. His kicking game was excellent. Unfortunately we still have a tendency to overplay before we've made the opposition work. KPP was guilty of this a couple of times but other players were to blame too. We're trying to create opportunities in our own half without making the defence work so instead of taking advantage of opportunities we were just taking risks.

We were better in the second half without being outstanding. Dupree looks to be an excellent addition to the team and I think Mago deserves huge credit for his performance today. Probably his best of the season. I think it was the Dupree try that was basically created by the Mago carry causing the defence to be out of shape the play before.

Cracking performance from Miski. Please stop suggesting we play him at second row or stand off or prop or on the moon and just be happy we've got a good, hard working winger who can finish and make strong carries.

Yes, the scoreline flatters us. Leigh lost their appetite for it in the second half and some of our tries came from luck rather than from free flowing play, but this was a derby game against a Leigh side that's playing much better than they were the last time we faced them.

I do have to pick up some negatives though. 18 points conceded still isn't good enough. I keep thinking we defend really well if teams put us under sustained pressure. We can be really resilient and organised. Our weakness seems to be when teams don't have much field position against us and then a break or a penalty puts them down our end and we concede really soft tries. It's like we don't have the concentration to go from attack to defence, whereas when the team is forced to defend for a more sustained period the concentration levels are much higher.
Cracking post from EEP and some good responses to it.

Fantastic game from Miski, from improving steadily he made a massive leap forwards today - tackling well, 2 intercepts, good finishing and now a deadly kicking game - kicked it 3 yards in total and created 2 tries!
It was, but I do like the idea of playing Miski on the moon now he's suggested it :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Flash wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:00 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:37 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:06 pm I thought it was a decent performance overall but we were a bit sluggish for most of the first half. Some of that may be down to the fact they had their 3 most dangerous middles on for most of that time. I thought once Amone and Mulhern were off the field our pack got on top.

Up to that point French was the only player getting us to where we needed to be. His kicking game was excellent. Unfortunately we still have a tendency to overplay before we've made the opposition work. KPP was guilty of this a couple of times but other players were to blame too. We're trying to create opportunities in our own half without making the defence work so instead of taking advantage of opportunities we were just taking risks.

We were better in the second half without being outstanding. Dupree looks to be an excellent addition to the team and I think Mago deserves huge credit for his performance today. Probably his best of the season. I think it was the Dupree try that was basically created by the Mago carry causing the defence to be out of shape the play before.

Cracking performance from Miski. Please stop suggesting we play him at second row or stand off or prop or on the moon and just be happy we've got a good, hard working winger who can finish and make strong carries.

Yes, the scoreline flatters us. Leigh lost their appetite for it in the second half and some of our tries came from luck rather than from free flowing play, but this was a derby game against a Leigh side that's playing much better than they were the last time we faced them.

I do have to pick up some negatives though. 18 points conceded still isn't good enough. I keep thinking we defend really well if teams put us under sustained pressure. We can be really resilient and organised. Our weakness seems to be when teams don't have much field position against us and then a break or a penalty puts them down our end and we concede really soft tries. It's like we don't have the concentration to go from attack to defence, whereas when the team is forced to defend for a more sustained period the concentration levels are much higher.
Cracking post from EEP and some good responses to it.

Fantastic game from Miski, from improving steadily he made a massive leap forwards today - tackling well, 2 intercepts, good finishing and now a deadly kicking game - kicked it 3 yards in total and created 2 tries!
It was, but I do like the idea of playing Miski on the moon now he's suggested it :lol:
😂😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:53 pm Cust switched off for Leigh's second (?) try. Saw a gap he should have filled and turned away. They went through it and scored.
Cust at fault for Briscoe going in the corner? He wasn’t.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Thought Cust was very good yesterday team looked better when he was there but each to their own
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:15 pm Thought Cust was very good yesterday team looked better when he was there but each to their own
I agree fozzie, brought energy and running threat. Which is to be expected when bringing on a 9 after 50 mins. Kept the Leapards guessing
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Definitely cust was very good
Think there are a few tele watchers on here that didn’t see the whole picture yesterday
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree Cust was good. Could make it difficult for Powell getting back into the 17 if he keeps that form up.
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:52 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:53 pm Cust switched off for Leigh's second (?) try. Saw a gap he should have filled and turned away. They went through it and scored.
Cust at fault for Briscoe going in the corner? He wasn’t.
he had zero bearing on that try what so ever
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Watchin the game back - what a pass from Smith to release King for Miski's 2nd.