Powell Sacked

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Shaun Wane Legend

Re: Powell Sacked

Post by Shaun Wane Legend »

Sad to see.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Shaun Wane Legend wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:22 am Sad to see.
Have to agree, we could do with a strong Warrington for the comp., Powell teams can play a decent brand of Rugby but something odd has happened since their good start to the season- players leaving etc
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Think this has been brewing for a while & low & behold;

Justin Holbrook: Path cleared for Warrington Wolves to give former St Helens coach Super League return

One door has reportedly shut on sacked NRL coach Justin Holbrook, which could lead the way to the vacant Warrington Wolves job.

The Super League outfit departed ways with Daryl Powell on Sunday night by mutual consent following the side’s 42-6 defeat to Wakefield Trinity.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/ju ... gue-return
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

i am absolutely gutted,he was doing a fine job and would have loved him to stay for ever :lol:
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

No one should be happy to see a man lose his job IMO

You have to feel with Warrington at some point its got to click, its really hard to understand how a team with the level of players they've had cant put it together even by chance!
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:48 am No one should be happy to see a man lose his job IMO

You have to feel with Warrington at some point its got to click, its really hard to understand how a team with the level of players they've had cant put it together even by chance!
I agree, as much as the banter about Wire it’s a person’s livelihood!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

its been a strange 18 months at Wire

i think most of their fans were ok with a bit of a write off season last year, as he got rid of the dead wood / trouble makers etc, and needed to change the culture

however, this season seems to have nose dived at a shocking rate

Players wanting out / contracts terminated and what seems like unrest with the poor performances on the pitch. Whilst i think he is a miserable sour faced coach, i'm not sure it can all be down to him (and i dont particularly like him)

I think the start of the decline was terminating McGuires contract, seemingly the RFL disciplinary and Warrington hierarchy believed the opposition player(s) in both instances, and not McGuire, despite there being little or no evidence. At that point, i think the player trust in the Wire hierarchy was diminished

King doesnt want to be there, Mikaele left early, McGuire obviously gone and poor performances after being put in there place by Wigan :). Rumours over the last couple of weeks that Nicholson and Williams want to come to Wigan (unsure if there is any truth in either of them)

The complete rebuild of the pack, Bullock, Kasiano, Dudson, Vaughan, Mikaele, McGuire hasnt gone too well has it. Most Wire fans cant wait to see the back of Kasiano and Dudson, with only Vaughan living up to his reputation (generally). Many thought that the signings were too old, and i think to an extent that has been proven. Giving them a bit of a let, as we've seen too, if you aint got no props, then you are going to struggle

as for Powell, now, does he get lucky and get a return ticket to Cas Vegas given how much Last is struggling to get a performance out of that team, or is he left in limbo. I personally would be surprised to see him get a coaching gig anytime soon
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Wonder if laughing boys laughing now But it could be there year
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:48 am No one should be happy to see a man lose his job IMO
He's a coach. That brings only one guarantee which is, if the team is doing as bad as Warrington are you will get the sack.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:51 pm
He's a coach. That brings only one guarantee which is, if the team is doing as bad as Warrington are you will get the sack.
Not get one ounce of pity from me. A horrible person with no respect for anyone and not one bit of humility. Think of the players who were at wire but disgarded because they spoke there minds regardless of ability. Good riddance I say. Never once in all his coaching career hear him give praise to any opposing player team or coach.Not be many clubs keen to take his miserable attitude into there club.