2024 line up

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
MadMaxWarrior

Re: 2024 line up

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

I'm guessing we are waiting on if Cooper makes a full recovery signings are complete, if he doesn't we will have to get a experienced prop in.
I remember last week about Miski at 2nd row and I don't think it's a bad shout. He got the build and we know the metres he can make. For me we need french,field and Marshall 1,2,5 to add the threat out wide, each one of them if they get open space there going the length.
Just watching St.Helens v Leeds and Sam Walters is finding gaps effortlessly can't wait to see him in cherry and white next season.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Thought the passport Kolpak rule was scrapt in 2019 sure someone knows more than me, if challenged I'm sure it would have been found illegal and we are not in the EU now from which Kolpac originated so it definitely would be?
Pretty sure it's just 7 non fed trained players now we had 8 when TL was granted a special exemption.
At moment I'm not sure any would be exempt in the old rules anyway, maybe ISA through parents and Mago if they could get visas both was born in in NZ, Isa played for NZ once and same for Samoa and is non fed trained Mago hasn't represented anyone yet.
Next season we will have Keighran, Field, French, Miski, Ellis. That leaves Isa, Cust and Mago .... One is definitely going for Keighran last I heard it was probably all three with two more NRL players to come in a forward and an out and out prop.
If that happens it will be a strong side with depth. I still think we need a forward who can link play,a lot of works being done with Smithies to give him that skill set and a real leader in the pack at prop. As Nicky says a deal for king hasn't been ruled out it's just how we fit it in one fed trained player will go on the marquee list at least to free cap space. Expect a couple of new contracts for our young players over next week or so will also be announced.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

To those suggesting Miski to second row - how will his defence hold up? Completely different skill set and requirement defending as a second rower than on the wing.

There’s a reason players like Ryan Hall or Lesley Vianokolo stayed out on the wing. I don’t even think anyone has ever moved Hurrell to second row either?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:40 pm At present this is the squad for next year:

Fullbacks: Jai Field, Bevan French

Wingers: Liam Marshall, Abbas Miski, Jacob Douglas

Centres: Jake Wardle, Adam Keighran, Zach Eckersley, Alex Sutton?

Halbacks: Harry Smith, Logan Astley

Props: Kaide Ellis, Ethan Havard, Tyler Dupree, Liam Byrne, Sam Walters, Harvie Hill, Tiaki Chan, Harvey Makin

Hookers: Kruise Leeming, Brad O’Neil, Sam Powell, Tom Forber

Second Rows: Liam Farrell, Junior Nsemba

Locks: Morgan Smithies, Joe Shorrocks

The following players without a confirmed new deal:
Iain Thornley (Centre)
Cade Cust (Halves)
Ryan Hampshire (Halves)
Mike Cooper (Prop)
Patrick Mago (Prop)
Ramon Silva (Prop)
Willie Isa (Second Row)

I believe all except Willie Isa on that list have options for further years in their contract. We seem to be at our quota limit for overseas players so presumably we can't re-sign Cust. Two of our overseas players must be Kolpak/EU/UK passport holders so I assume that's Isa (UK) and Mago (Samoa) so both could be re-signed. I assume Field, French, Miski, Keighran and Ellis I assume all count as overseas rather than non-federation trained.

I noticed Hampshire had a 1 year deal with an option of 2 more but isn't listed among the players whose future is still to be determined, so do we assume he's been given the 2 year option?

Confirmed departures:
Toby King (Centre)
Kai Pearce-Paul (Second Row)

We've made some good signings but looking at the players currently confirmed for next season we're definitely weak in the back row and halves. The obvious position where we have more than enough cover is hooker, so we'll see what happens with Powell.
Where is this EU/Kolpak/UK passport holders coming from? I thought we had now moved to 7 non-federation trained players. Cust and Mago will not be at Wigan next season.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:54 am Where is this EU/Kolpak/UK passport holders coming from? I thought we had now moved to 7 non-federation trained players. Cust and Mago will not be at Wigan next season.
You're right! I'm thinking of the old rules. I'd forgotten that they simplified it a couple of years ago.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Just seen that Keighran scored a couple of tries and kicked several goals for Catalans tonight. They played him at centre again and, as somebody pointed out last week, on the same side that Wardle plays. I hope is equally good on both sides.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Walters played second row superbly on Friday, so I would be happy with him there.
I thought we only had one marquee player this year, after Bateman left. We have a new billionaire owner. I would not be at all surprised if we signed 2 top top class players. Clearly we would benefit from another 6/centre (depending on where we see Keighran playing) and a prop/second row. Even without those, we are nearly there…
Field - Miski - ?? - Wardle - Marshall - ?? - Smith (with French and Keighran to be fitted in)
Dupree - Havard - Ellis - Hill (with ? Over Cooper and Mago, and ??? Over Byrne)
Walters (on Friday’s showing), Faz, Nsemba
Smithies, Shorrocks
Our signings so far (Dupree for Singleton looks a genius move!) have all strengthened us. More of the same please…
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

southportcdm wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:40 pm Just seen that Keighran scored a couple of tries and kicked several goals for Catalans tonight. They played him at centre again and, as somebody pointed out last week, on the same side that Wardle plays. I hope is equally good on both sides.
Keighran wears the 3 shirt at Catalans so his first preference would be right centre.
I reckon next year Field 1, Miski 2, Keighran 3, French 6.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:19 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:54 am Where is this EU/Kolpak/UK passport holders coming from? I thought we had now moved to 7 non-federation trained players. Cust and Mago will not be at Wigan next season.
You're right! I'm thinking of the old rules. I'd forgotten that they simplified it a couple of years ago.
No problem, I thought I had missed something! I’m surprised that my mind is holding up so well!
shawxshark

Post by shawxshark »

[quote="Wiganer Ted"

Keighran wears the 3 shirt at Catalans so his first preference would be right centre.
I reckon next year Field 1, Miski 2, Keighran 3, French 6.
[/quote]

I definitely think bevan has been promised the 6 shirt for next season. The Williams rumour would be nice but I think if Bevan is moved back to wing it upsets him and he will want out IMO