Powell Sacked

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
fozzieskem

Re: Powell Sacked

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:51 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:48 am No one should be happy to see a man lose his job IMO
He's a coach. That brings only one guarantee which is, if the team is doing as bad as Warrington are you will get the sack.
That they get the sack at some point is really the only certainty in sport
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

josie andrews wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:57 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:48 am No one should be happy to see a man lose his job IMO

You have to feel with Warrington at some point its got to click, its really hard to understand how a team with the level of players they've had cant put it together even by chance!
I agree, as much as the banter about Wire it’s a person’s livelihood!
If you are not doing your job and failing to get the results and performance required in any job then you should either leave or be sacked,i have no sympathy at all.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Daryl Powell: Warrington board 'made wrong decision' to appoint former head coach

Warrington Wolves chairman Stuart Middleton says the Super League club's board made the wrong decision to appoint former head coach Daryl Powell.

Powell left the club by mutual consent on Sunday just hours after they were well beaten by bottom side Wakefield.

Their chastening 42-6 defeat meant they had lost eight out of nine games.

Asked by BBC Radio Merseyside whether his appointment was wrong, Middleton said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing. But probably yes, I think we did."

He continued: "We've got to look at ourselves as well and what we got wrong. We had too many changes too quick and I think the way we treated people wasn't quite right. That didn't sit well with me.

"I think we've learned that in future we've got to ask a few more questions and not just give somebody a free reign and let them do what they want.

"We have to challenge things if we think it's not right. We didn't get it right last year and we have to make sure we don't go through that procedure again."

Listen to Stuart Middleton on BBC Radio Merseyside
Former Castleford boss Powell endured a tough first season in charge of the Wire in 2022, as the club finished second from bottom of Super League having won just nine of their 27 matches.

Hopes were much higher for 2023 after some strong recruitment and they raced off the line with eight straight wins to start the campaign.

Sunday's damaging defeat dented their play-off hopes, leaving them in sixth position and just two points clear of seventh-placed Salford.

"I think this has been coming for a while, actually. I think Sunday was the pinnacle. I think we started off well winning the first eight games and then after that we dropped off," Middleton added.

"The Magic Weekend loss against Hull was disappointing. We had a good start and then just fell apart. Then to be knocked out in the Challenge Cup in the way that we did by Wigan, that caused us to ask questions like 'what's wrong? We've got a good squad on paper, we've got some talented players and why are we dropping off? Let's have a look and see what's going on.'"

'Fitzpatrick not to solely to blame'

Warrington's poor 2023 despite their investment comes in contrast to newly-promoted Leigh Leopards who have enjoyed a prosperous campaign which has seen them compete at the top of Super League as well as reaching the Challenge Cup final.

The Wire have been heavily linked with a move for former St Helens coach Justin Holbrook who recently left NRL side the Gold Coast Titans.

Warrington chief executive Karl Fitzpatrick has come under criticism from the club's fanbase for his handling of Powell's appointment and their recruitment in recent years, but Middleton said it is unfair to place all the blame his way.

"Karl has got to run the business, the stadium, the training facilities, the employees in his role and he works very hard, he's a grafter," Middleton said.

"I understand the frustrations from the fans and I am upset and frustrated, but it's wrong to completely put it on Karl's head.

"He doesn't pick the players, he facilitates it and does the research on who is available but ultimately it's the coach that says who he wants and doesn't want and it's his job to get the best out of them and to motivate them and give them confidence.

"That is not the chief executive's role. Having said that, we've looked at ourselves as well and asked what we got wrong and I think we can learn from that."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/66393488
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan