Tonight's Game & Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:25 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:20 pm Thirteen HKR changes!

Hull KR’s 21-man squad

Ethan Ryan, Tom Opacic, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Matt Parcell, George King, Kane Linnett, Elliot Minchella, Jez Litten, Rhys Kennedy, James Batchelor, Mikey Lewis, Sam Luckley and Brad Schneider all drop out of the 21-man squad this week.

All the changes mean Academy products Lennie Ellis, Leo Tennison and Louix Gorman are set for their Hull KR debuts, while it’s first time inclusions for Harvey Horne, Harvey Reynolds and Owen Maull in the 21-man squad.

New loan signings César Rougé, Isaac Shaw and Luke Thomas are also included.

Dean Hadley returns after missing the last two games through HIA protocols and is set to captain the Robins on Friday night.

Phoenix Laulu-Togaga’e, Zach Fishwick, Connor Barley and Corey Hall all come in to the 21-man squad as well.

https://www.totalrl.com/friday-night-su ... -injuries/
Personally i dont see the issue with Hull KR putting out a crap team, when was the last time they won a trophy? when is the next chance they will get after this? when are they likely if they get to a final likely to not play another seasoned trophy winning team?

Is any of that worth competing for 2 points in a meaningless season?

That is totally beside the point! It’s disrespectful to the opposing team! And I would feel the same whoever their SL opponents were.

Leigh haven’t won anything either & they don’t have a big enough squad to make wholesale changes like that.

Just disgraceful IMO 🤬
I disagree - they arent breaking any rules, they are doing what they think will give them the best chance to win a trophy something that club could dine out on for years, this is a league match it means absolutely nothing to them why would they risk any of their players who could be key to winning them a trophy on this game?

If Leigh dont then thats on them
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:47 pm

Personally i dont see the issue with Hull KR putting out a crap team, when was the last time they won a trophy? when is the next chance they will get after this? when are they likely if they get to a final likely to not play another seasoned trophy winning team?

That is totally beside the point! It’s disrespectful to the opposing team! And I would feel the same whoever their SL opponents were.

Leigh haven’t won anything either & they don’t have a big enough squad to make wholesale changes like that.

Just disgraceful IMO 🤬
I disagree - they arent breaking any rules, they are doing what they think will give them the best chance to win a trophy something that club could dine out on for years, this is a league match it means absolutely nothing to them why would they risk any of their players who could be key to winning them a trophy on this game?

I think leigh will do same.
I may be in minority but can't see anything wrong in what there doing. If my team was in same position I would hope we would keep as many players as we could safe. We are privileged to have the strength in squad to do that and to be honest this has gone on for decades even flying players back from Australia for final.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

A weak squad yes but to have so many out is just taking the pi88 IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:47 pm

Just disgraceful IMO 🤬

its not really as they would love to do the same but the RFL keep refusing them an academy, I mean they chose Newcastle over them, I cant remember the last pro if any who has come from there
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

If KR drop out of the playoffs then its there own fault.Cant blame KR as its the playoffs system that is at fault and not them imo
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:28 pm The team numbers start at 17!!

That is a fecking disgrace & should not be allowed! 🤬

I really hope Leigh shaft them!!!
I don't see what the issue is. Was it a disgrace when we did the same thing against Hull KR in August last year?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

EagleEyePie wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:10 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:28 pm The team numbers start at 17!!

That is a fecking disgrace & should not be allowed! 🤬

I really hope Leigh shaft them!!!
I don't see what the issue is. Was it a disgrace when we did the same thing against Hull KR in August last year?
What did we put a weakened team out to HKR in August for??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Post by moto748 »

EagleEyePie wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:10 pm

I don't either. As far as I'm concerned, coaches are entitled to select their teams as they choose, and then they stand or fall by the results. You see similar arguments in football, too.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:05 pm What did we put a weakened team out to HKR in August for??
We'd guaranteed 2nd place, and since that meant a 2 week gap between the final game (Catalans) and the semi final we rested pretty much the entire team the game before at Hull KR.
No doubt hoping for a decent contest in the final game against Catalans but they used that game to rest their entire team.

Every team does it if they have the means and opportunity. If you reach the cup final you've played 3 games more than teams that were knocked out in the first round. When competing for the playoffs after 20 odd rounds that can make a difference.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Putting out a weak team is not against the rules but it is why clubs have to name squads beforehand so the fans know what they are getting. That came about because Saints under Millward took this to extremes and played a team of kids. The RFL even tried to fine them for it. They had to back down but it led to the squad naming rule.

That said I think I am correct in saying HKR have signed more than one player on two week loans in order to rest their cup final squad members. I do think that is taking the mick. I have no problem with a team using its squad but I don’t think that should be allowed.