Tonight's Game & Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:12 pm Putting out a weak team is not against the rules but it is why clubs have to name squads beforehand so the fans know what they are getting. That came about because Saints under Millward took this to extremes and played a team of kids. The RFL even tried to fine them for it. They had to back down but it led to the squad naming rule.

That said I think I am correct in saying HKR have signed more than one player on two week loans in order to rest their cup final squad members. I do think that is taking the mick. I have no problem with a team using its squad but I don’t think that should be allowed.
They also had players betting on the outcome who had insider knowledge, that’s Daints for you.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

Fielding a weak team is not a problem for me but the signing of 3 players on a one match deal to do so doesn't sit right with me at all but that's just my opinion and obviously not against the rules

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

HKR signed a player two weeks before our semi and he knocked us out
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

As long as they don’t break any rules then they are winthin their rights to do anything they want imo
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:37 am Fielding a weak team is not a problem for me but the signing of 3 players on a one match deal to do so doesn't sit right with me at all but that's just my opinion and obviously not against the rules

EW
I agree that bit is pushing the boundaries a little, but I think the problem there is allowing 2 week loan deals instead of 1 month being the minimum. If Rovers had to commit to loaning these players for a month I think they might not have bothered.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I think the best way that we could respond is to score a shedload of points and put points difference to bed for the rest of the season.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:29 am I think the best way that we could respond is to score a shedload of points and put points difference to bed for the rest of the season.
I dont think Hull KR would care, i dont think they would realistically expect even if they make the playoff's to make and then win a GF. They have played well this season but the bigger teams will find their form and longevity come the end, they have fallen on probably the best chance in decades to win a trophy. Thats not disrespecting Leigh who deserve to be there and i think personally will win but coming up against a seasoned team of winners like saints or wigan in a final is different prospect to facing a team also havent won a trophy in 40+ years at the top level.

I think they would more than happily sacrifice their play off hopes if they felt it would even give them 5% more chance
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I can see why KR have done it. I personally am not fussed as hopefully we can stick 60 on them.

But imagine if they were playing wakey or cas? Bet fans from either club would have something to say about that given the basement battle.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I don't care about HKR, except to hope that the horrible play-actor Lewis doesn't win the Cup. It would help us considerably to have a massive win and that's all that really matters.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:29 am I don't care about HKR, except to hope that the horrible play-actor Lewis doesn't win the Cup. It would help us considerably to have a massive win and that's all that really matters.
I'm with you. It's up to us to take full advantage of this. If a ridiculous score the dummies in charge of our game might (note the word might) do something to stop it as this is a big advantage to opposition re points for. I don't blame hkr. It's in the rules of the game. Even though not morally right.