Tonight's Game & Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fan4Fifty

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by Fan4Fifty »

These games are horrible. So hard for our guys to get up for against a team with absolutely nothing to lose. If we win by 50/60 that's expected; if we win by, say, 30 that's below par. Hope we go hard and fast from the off and not get sucked into a midfield tussle and give our points difference a real boost.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:22 am
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:37 am Fielding a weak team is not a problem for me but the signing of 3 players on a one match deal to do so doesn't sit right with me at all but that's just my opinion and obviously not against the rules

EW
I agree that bit is pushing the boundaries a little, but I think the problem there is allowing 2 week loan deals instead of 1 month being the minimum. If Rovers had to commit to loaning these players for a month I think they might not have bothered.
They also might not have been able to afford it without breaking the salary cap if they had to sign them for a month.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

:)
Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:46 pm These games are horrible. So hard for our guys to get up for against a team with absolutely nothing to lose. If we win by 50/60 that's expected; if we win by, say, 30 that's below par. Hope we go hard and fast from the off and not get sucked into a midfield tussle and give our points difference a real boost.
Not sure what you mean by "hard and fast from the off". If we start by trying to razzle dazzle before we've done the hard graft, we're in danger of coming a cropper, as we've done before against weaker teams. We need to "earn the right" by keeping it tight, focus on defence, and the tries will come as we wear them down - probably mainly in the last 10 minutes of the first half and last 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

Signed

MPE

(Armchair Coach) :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Crossy210

Post by Crossy210 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:31 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:25 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:20 pm Thirteen HKR changes!

Hull KR’s 21-man squad

Ethan Ryan, Tom Opacic, Shaun Kenny-Dowall, Matt Parcell, George King, Kane Linnett, Elliot Minchella, Jez Litten, Rhys Kennedy, James Batchelor, Mikey Lewis, Sam Luckley and Brad Schneider all drop out of the 21-man squad this week.

All the changes mean Academy products Lennie Ellis, Leo Tennison and Louix Gorman are set for their Hull KR debuts, while it’s first time inclusions for Harvey Horne, Harvey Reynolds and Owen Maull in the 21-man squad.

New loan signings César Rougé, Isaac Shaw and Luke Thomas are also included.

Dean Hadley returns after missing the last two games through HIA protocols and is set to captain the Robins on Friday night.

Phoenix Laulu-Togaga’e, Zach Fishwick, Connor Barley and Corey Hall all come in to the 21-man squad as well.

https://www.totalrl.com/friday-night-su ... -injuries/
Personally i dont see the issue with Hull KR putting out a crap team, when was the last time they won a trophy? when is the next chance they will get after this? when are they likely if they get to a final likely to not play another seasoned trophy winning team?

Is any of that worth competing for 2 points in a meaningless season?

That is totally beside the point! It’s disrespectful to the opposing team! And I would feel the same whoever their SL opponents were.

Leigh haven’t won anything either & they don’t have a big enough squad to make wholesale changes like that.

Just disgraceful IMO 🤬
Sorry josie it’s not disrespectful to anyone this is a team who haven’t won a major trophy for decades. Leigh will do the same it’s also what a reserve team is for to fill in when lads need a break to be fresh. I’ve no issue with them doing this at all.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:14 pm :)
Fan4Fifty wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:46 pm These games are horrible. So hard for our guys to get up for against a team with absolutely nothing to lose. If we win by 50/60 that's expected; if we win by, say, 30 that's below par. Hope we go hard and fast from the off and not get sucked into a midfield tussle and give our points difference a real boost.
Not sure what you mean by "hard and fast from the off". If we start by trying to razzle dazzle before we've done the hard graft, we're in danger of coming a cropper, as we've done before against weaker teams. We need to "earn the right" by keeping it tight, focus on defence, and the tries will come as we wear them down - probably mainly in the last 10 minutes of the first half and last 20 minutes of the 2nd half.

Signed

MPE

MPE - I don't particularly like this sort of game and as a fan I won't go to the match with as much anticipation or excitement as I would to a game against Saints or Warrington or even a full-strength Hull KR team. Our players are human and I imagine that however much everyone says that it doesn't make any difference what kind of team they play against, the reality is that psychologically it will be much harder to 'get up' for this game. This is a no-win game for the Warriors and all I'm hoping for is that as far as possible we should aim to be hard (legally) and dominant in the tackle, be fast and aggressive with the ball in hand and not give them a sniff of anything remotely like an upset, though, as you imply, I don't imagine that they'll come and roll over. Put them under real pressure from the start!!
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is hugely helpful to finish first or second. We have to win and win well. It is very tight at the top, with everything still to play for.
craigo

Post by craigo »

It is up to them what team they put out. But if they aren't bothered about this game, Why should their fans be ?. We will paste them btw.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:39 am
morley pie eater wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:14 pm :)

Signed

MPE

MPE - I don't particularly like this sort of game and as a fan I won't go to the match with as much anticipation or excitement as I would to a game against Saints or Warrington or even a full-strength Hull KR team. Our players are human and I imagine that however much everyone says that it doesn't make any difference what kind of team they play against, the reality is that psychologically it will be much harder to 'get up' for this game. This is a no-win game for the Warriors and all I'm hoping for is that as far as possible we should aim to be hard (legally) and dominant in the tackle, be fast and aggressive with the ball in hand and not give them a sniff of anything remotely like an upset, though, as you imply, I don't imagine that they'll come and roll over. Put them under real pressure from the start!!
Appreciate your point of view, and not really disagreeing. My emphasis is slightly different, that's all.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Full strength 17 named with Hill replacing Byrne, Shorrocks 18th man.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Pleased to see that.